“Amazing hotel!! Well worth a visit!”
Review of The Chine Hotel

The Chine Hotel
Ranked #23 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Torquay, England, United Kingdom
“Amazing hotel!! Well worth a visit!”
Reviewed 5 August 2012

This is the second time we have stayed here, and I am in know doubt we will be making it a third and a fourth very soon! The hardest thing about writing this review is where to start. The hotel is in the most perfect setting in Boscombe, only 2 miles from Bournmouth town centre, and if its 500yards from the most perfect beach in the country I would be surprised!!.

We arrived at the hotel at 5pm and were greeted by a very polite and professional young man on reception who did not put a foot wrong when checking us in, You can trust me on this as I have spent 7 years working in a 4* hotel myself.

We checked into room 320 and what an amazing room, tastefully decorated and very sumptuous. The view from the balcony was amazing, and the constant sound of waves crashing against the beach was very relaxing.

This hotel has everything you could wish for, great pool and gym facilities, lovely gardens, ample parking, dont believe some of the other reviews, when we were there hotel was fully booked and we never struggled to park right out front!

We never had dinner in the restaurant but enjoyed a lovely breakfast overlooking the hotel gardens every morning, and it was never to much trouble for the manager to relay a window table for us.

This the perfect hotel for relaxing, or a a base when travelling further afield. The General Manager Tayna is extremly friendly and helpful, we bumped into her several time throughout our stay, and she was never to busy to stop and chat, and offered the most amazing restaurant reccomendations for our stay.

My advice is try this hotel you will be amazed at its value for money. I understand FJB own 3 other hotels in te bournemouth area, however I will find it very hard to pull myself away from this one, what an amazing place to stay. Thankyou very much!! :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We enjoyed a short week stay and really enjoyed unwinding here. From the pools to walking along the beach and the wonderful food. It was a very pleasant experience. We got a slight discount which we were chuffed about but when it came to our room, it was very uninspiring with a lovely view of the carpark which made us feel we were, in fact, overpaying. I remember walking up the gorgeous Victorian staircase and expecting an equally quality room. But sadly it wasn't so... I'm all about the details and this is where we were let down. We were supposed to have a king room but instead we had 2 singles pushed together. The room was clean and somewhat modern but almost austere and bog standard. We will return because it was outweighed by a beautiful location and hotel atmosphere... but will make sure our money is well spent next time and ask for a better standard of room.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Got a deal on this £80 for two nights plus breakfast per person IMO brilliant value for money room was clean and have everything we needed, hotel facilities fantastic and gardens were stunning. Breakfast buffet was superb, evening meal was good and a special shout out to the staff. From the very helpful girl on the reservations phone line to reception and waiting staff I thought they were pretty faultless - I would certainly return here .

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank DawnCaxton
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We have just spent 2 nights at this hotel on the special Money Supermarket 2 nights B&B for £89.
Very nice hotel for families at this time of the year,full of children as it is the school holidays,but the majority were well behaved.
Excellent breakfast with a very good choice.We tried the Evening Dinner on the first evening,the food was OK but it took ages to get the 2 courses.
Very pleasant staff who are extremely helpful.
Good Gym,Hot Tubs Inside and outside, plus Sauna and 2 Pools,inside and in the garden.

Room Tip: A reasonably quit area so no noise problems.
Twyford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We have just spent two nights excellent nights in this hotel. Our 5 year old daughter absolutely loved the soft play area and the two swimming pools (one indoor and one outdoor, dramatically positioned on the cliff under the hotel, there's also a very nice little Gym Sauna etc for the adults). The hotel also run play sessions for children to give the parents some time off during school Holidays.
The views over the mature gardens and the bay are stunning, especially seen in the first sunshine for, well, ever! The hotel is a few minutes walk from the sandy quieter Boscombe beach and there's a regular little "road train" that runs to the Bournemouth beach and attractions of the Bournemouth area.
The Hotel Lobby, resturant and bar area are all very attractive with a terrific panoramic view from the Bar and Restaurant. The food is the brasserie was very good but the menu a little limited. Our room was very nice, although a little on the small side, more than made up for by the view from the window (did I mention the view already?). One other minor downside was our TV was a little temporamental due to a loose connection, someone from reception did come up but decided it needed manitenance, it never did get fixed. The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

The lift was very small and of the old fashoined gated type which my daughter loved, however if you are limited mobility, if there is no ground floor room available this Hotel is not for you, there was a disabled chap staying for a wedding who's wheel chair would not fit in the small lift and who's room was on the third floor. Also the Gardens are lovely but have very steep paths, again not ideal if you have mobility issues.
Parking is challenging with two small carparks and great demand for the available on street parking however many of the older hiotels in the area suffer from the same problem.

All in all an excellent hotel, especially for children, our daughter was in floods of tears when we had to leave and we are already planning another long weekend trip later in the summer. I would have given it 5/5 if it were not for the few niggles I've mentioned.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Spent just saturday night there this weekend for a wedding. The hotel were very accomodating - we arrived early but it was no problem to sort out our room. Room was clean and tidy and a great sea view. Gardens are beautiful. Outdoor pool was AMAZINGLY warm and the hot tub was a really nice treat to sit in. All in all a great hotel. If I had to find one fault it was the time it took for tea/coffee and toast to arrive at morning breakfast - I'd already finished my (very nice) sausages, hash browns etc before coffee and toast arrived!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I booked a 2 nights stay for two people including breakfast through a deal being offered with moneysupermarket.com at a price of £89. I upgraded to a sea view room at £20 per night extra.
The car parking is a bit fragmented with a few spaces at the front of the hotel and further spaces on the forecourt of several buildings surrounding the hotel.
Check in was efficient and my room(331) was clean, nicely decorated and the furniture was modern and more than enough for our clothes. The view was really lovely and you could see right along the coast to the ferry at sandbanks. It was a blessing to be able to open a window as the room, even without any heating on, was quite warm and airless. The bed was very comfortable and the linen clean and fresh. A radio clock would have been appreciated as not everyone is dependant on a mobile phone! There was tea and coffee making facilities and these were replenished each day.
The bathroom was spotlessly clean and the towels a generous size and very soft. However both taps on the hand basin ran hot water(no matter how long you let the "cold" one run for) and this is not very pleasant when cleaning your teeth! The shower was quite powerful but the shower head would not sit upright and was facing the wall so to be used you had to remove it from its stand and manually dowse yourself!
Breakfast was the usual buffet style with everything on offer from cereals through to a complete fry up and it was very tasty. You could order haddock and poached egg but I didn't try this. The restaurant looks out over the gardens on on to the sea which is very nice. We did dine in the restaurant on the first evening but the food is, much to my annoyance, nouveau cuisine. It tasted very nice but there was just not enough to even half fill you up after a day out sightseeing. With a noticable absence of restaurants in the immediate vacinity on the second night I ordered fish and chips from the bar and I have to say it was superb, the fish was fresh and of a good size and the triple fried chips were chunky and plentiful.
The hotel has a spa with an indoor and outdoor heated swimming pool together with a jacuzzi, sauna and outdoor hot tub although the hot tub was out of action! I only used these facilities once as the jacuzzi consisted of a family with a couple of children making huge splashing motions. There are signs but they don't seem to count for much which is a shame! I compared notes with a solo traveller who paid £75 for a one night stay, including breakfast, in a single room and he was bitterly disappointed. I would return BUT only if there was a similar deal to the one that I had this time.

Room Tip: Room 331 offers great views and is clean and comfortable