“Spa day with afternoon tea at the Chine hotel”
Review of Chine Hotel

Chine Hotel
Ranked #21 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Poole
“Spa day with afternoon tea at the Chine hotel”
Reviewed 12 July 2013

My sister and I spent the day at the Chine hotel recently. This was a special offer with Groupon. We had a very enjoyable day and liked the grand style of the hotel despite parts of the hotel looking tired and needing some updating
The afternoon champagne tea was excellent served in a very nice large room overlooking the sea, the staff were attentive and lovely. The gardens are well cared for, two gardeners were working throughout the day whilst we were there.
The hotel has a nice outdoor pool where we spent most of the day as the weather was perfect . As a suggestion to increase profits we felt a waiter that came round and asked guests if they would like drinks, lunch etc would work well.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Katrinpoole

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Dover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Lovely hotel accomodation. Great location in Boscombe, close to the beach via the extensive hotel gardens or the chine. Nice leisurely walk along the seafront or clifftops to Bournemouth. Room decor is dated, but exceptionally clean. We stayed in 205, spacious room with sea view.

Breakfast (buffet) was excellent. Staff very attentive.

Dinner (set menu limited) was disappointing, and not value for money at the £24 for the three courses. There is a Table Table restaurant a short walk along Christchurch Road.

Very limited car parking. Be aware we had to park the car over a mile away on our return from a day out on a sunny Sunday. All the road parking locally was taken up by locals using Boscombe beach.

I highly recommend this hotel for a weekend stay.

Room Tip: 205 large room
1 Thank Raymond S
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I stayed at the chine hotel for 2 nights, from 6/7/13 and I must say that the cleanliness of the rooms are awful, and how they dealt with my complaint was worse!
my room (102) was a double bed with 5ft walking space around the bed and a bathroom. On the carpets bordering the room had 2" of grey (dust) and the centre of the carpet was its original colour (red). The cleaners said its because the carpets were old, but if that was the case wouldn't it be the other way around, where people walk? Hmm!
i went to reception to tell them about the room i was given and they didn't believe me!!! They asked me to show one of the cleaners the problem. After that they said "im sorry there's nothing we can do because we are fully booked, but we can clean the room for you", this was a trainee by the way, one of the managers was just sat in the office without a care.
so after that i said to them "i booked this room 2 months ago, why is it ive been given such a horrible room, my friends room is fine" she replied "all we can do is say sorry"
20mins after that my friend looked at my room and agreed it was awful and wanted to complain on my behalf also, which they said we do have a spare room, next door (103).
the room was still filthy, same situation with the carpets, missing tiles on the bathroom roof, smashed tiles on the bath, other peoples makeup on the shower curtain and dust on the lampshades.

very disappointed with how they dealt with my problem, its like they didn't even care.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank vikkiorange
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Stayed for three nights 4,5 and 6th July. Initially we were given Room 210, which has a very small bed. My husband tried it for size and his feet were hanging over the bed (he is 6ft 2ins)
The mattress was also terrible, soft and I could feel the springs through the padding. We requested another room with a larger bed and were given Room 213 which had a large comfy bed with good mattress and was just at the top of the stairs.
The hotel is really in need of an upgrade, but we kind of enjoyed it's old fashioned, homely appearance.. The Garden's are beautiful and very well cared for.
All of the Staff were very friendly and helpful.
THE CAR PARK is a real issue with only about 20 spaces. The road outside the hotel is limited and completely congested with cars....We found it impossible to park nearby.

Room Tip: Not Room 210 until the bed and mattress are replaced.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My friend and I booked a 2 night stay (Saturday - Monday) at The Chine Hotel via Secret Escapes which cost £155, including breakfast. We contacted the hotel in advance to request a twin room on a high floor and much to our surprise this was exactly what we had! I have made many requests at other hotels and usually they’re not even looked at! We were even given a sea view room, which was lovely (407). It was next to the lift, so I don’t know how noisy this would have been if it were working, which leads to me on to say that unfortunately, as other people have commented, the lift was still out of order for the duration of our stay. Although I’m quite happy walking, I do feel that they should offer to carry your bags up the stairs for you. We saw several older people struggling with the stairs so although it’s a lovely feature, if they can’t get the parts in quickly enough, maybe it’s time for a new lift.

As others have mentioned the temperature of the room was rather warm! I’m someone who likes to be hot, but even with the windows wide open it still felt rather stuffy. However, we were lucky to stay during a very sunny weekend, so I guess it’s not such a problem for most of the year!

Parking seemed quite tricky when we arrived (approx. 3pm on Saturday). However, on asking at reception we were told of a car park a couple of minutes walk away with plenty of spaces. Keep an eye out during your stay as luckily for us, the next morning we were able to move the car to a spot right outside the hotel. Don’t panic if you arrive and can’t find any roadside spaces, the extra car park seems plenty big enough.

The main downside to this hotel is the breakfast. We went down for breakfast around 9.30am on Sunday and were utterly disappointed. The choice was adequate however the standard was appalling. Incredibly salty bacon and hard/cold fried eggs, nowhere near the quality you would expect from such a nice looking hotel. I don’t know what they normally charge as ours was part of a deal, but I’m sure it’s not worth the money. On Monday morning we forego our hotel breakfast and walked into Bournemouth to eat at Aruba. Breakfast for under £15 for both of us, and we had plenty of amazing food to keep us going until dinnertime! It was absolutely fantastic quality and value for money!

On the positive side, the room was clean and a good size. The beds/pillows were incredibly comfortable, and being able to open windows is always a bonus! A good nights sleep is what it’s all about after all! There wasn’t a fridge in the room to keep drinks cool (you had to pay £5 a day to hire one), so one evening we popped down to the bar and asked for some ice. This wasn’t a problem at all and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

The Chine is about a 30/40minute stroll into Bournemouth (we stopped/dawdled/took photos along the way) and such a lovely pleasant walk along the seafront. Remember to ask for the code for the gate if leaving/entering through the garden. I think there’s a buzzer, but it’s far easier to know it before you get to the gate incase you have to walk back to the hotel again! Saturday evening we walked to Bournemouth and spent our evening at Aruba, which is a restaurant/cocktail bar that turns into a club at about 10.30pm. It was good fun, however we didn’t stay very late. On our second evening we walked a few minutes the other direction to eat at the Koh Thai in Boscombe. This is also highly recommended, as the food was amazing! Probably some of the best Thai food I have ever eaten.

Overall, The Chine is a lovely hotel in a nice location, just a shame about the standard of the breakfast available. To get the best rate be sure to hunt around for a deal, as they seem readily available! If I were to return to the area I would prefer to stay in the center of Bournemouth. That isn’t to take anything away from the hotel, I just don’t like going back to the same hotel twice when there are other places to try.

Room Tip: We had room 407 which was converted to a twin room for us. Lovely view of garden and the sea. Nice...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JaneXF80
Dunstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Lovely Hotel. Plenty of on site facilities, we made use of the indoor pool, sauna and Jacuzzi. Well catered breakfast, with kippers and haddock as an option on request. In an enviable position near the pier and miles of beautiful coastline. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: There is an annex building. You may want to ask for a room in the main part of the hotel. This would...
1 Thank Lynn B
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Recently stayed at the Chine Hotel for our second time. We were on a deal that included the evening meal, which for this time of year was very reasonable. The restaurant has a lovely view over the gardens and both the buffet breakfast and the evening meal were excellent. The restaurant staff were all helpful as well. Our room this time was in the West wing which looked like it was being refurbished, our room was finished to a good standard and was large. The outside window frame need some attention however. Our room overlooked the outside pool which was heated, we did not realise this on our first visit, so we used it every day. We enjoyed our break and will visit again. Car can be a problem during busy times

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple