Chine Hotel
Hinton Firs Hotel(Bournemouth)
  • Beachfront
Elstead Hotel(Bournemouth)
1,058 results
All reviewsoutdoor poolwest wingsoft play areaboscombe pierkids clubsea viewhot tubsmall gymlovely hotelthe main hotelbunk bedsland trainfamily roomleisure facilitiesgreat facilitiesfamily breakroom was large
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Got this on a deal through Amazon Local. Great value for money although wouldn't have been happy paying full price. Leisure facilities were brill. Amazed to find outdoor pool open in October (And heated too). Rooms were spacious, clean and modernised although old wardrobes and furniture hardly made them boutique standard. Food was well presented. Breakfast was excellent. Dinner was pretty good. Chose the lamb and although it looked fabulous the meat had no taste what so ever, so a bit disappointing. Staff were very friendly. The location is excellent if you want quiet. It is Boscombe end so a long walk in to Bournemouth but this suited us. The Hotel's gardens are beautiful and lead straight on to the beach. Give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I chose The Chine for its location, what it had to offer in services and also because when i spoke to the agent i was told there was disabled access and it was a disabled friendly hotel. On speaking to the agent (not the hotel itself i should say) i asked many questions about lifts and if single rooms were on floors with access and was told yes. The reasons from all the question was i was taking my 87 year old nan away from her birthday and she is unable to walk up stairs or long distances. I was told to write this on the on line book form and it would be taken note of... well i am afraid it wasn't.
On arrival to the easy to find and beautifully located Chine Hotel we enquired about our rooms (one single for my nan and a twin for my sister and i) and we were happy to see that we were on the same floor and about 2 room away from each other which was great. However we ask to see the room first to ensure my nan would be able to reach us if needed. A lovely porter came and showed us to the lift, which was the point that i realised it was not what i had been told. The lift in the hotel is an old French style two gated contraption. My nans wheel chair was not able to fit in and she was so nervous about using it that we also had to go elsewhere. Eventually she got in and to the second floor we went, only to find out that we had a double bed and my nans room was up a further set of stairs which she had no chance of climbing. on arrival back down stairs to explain the situation we were met with lots of huffing and puffing to try and find us something more suitable but also to staff who would not listen to our explanation of the booking, rather then treating us like we were being fussy. We also were not the only ones having problems checking in. However after a few more huffs and puffs the manager did give us rooms next to each other with my sister and i having a family room.
This is where i get more positive about the hotel which really is lovely. the view from room 406 is lovely and the rooms are clean and bright. all that you need. Also the staff could not be more friendly. They offered us restaurant suggestions and at breakfast were very helpful. the grounds and the facilities are very good. The huge bonus was the outdoor pool still being open and it was heated like a bath. Such a lovely experience. All other hotel stayer looked happy and the breakfast is very yummy!
Again the down side was that my nan was not able to get the the gardens or the swimming pool due to there being no way to get her here. the lift and access to places were not easy at all. There was disabled parking but only one space.
I would go back to the Chine but with my partner or friends, not my nan. She enjoyed herself but we felt we were very limited in the hotel and it was not fun having to go in the horrid lift twice in order to take up her wheel chair.
The views on the sea views are well worth paying for and i would try to book room 406 again just to look out of the lovely window.
I would also say that if you have children this is a great place. there a kids club and soft play area and the pools are lovely. Also and outside play area. Great walks to the beach as well.
Lovely restaurant called Urban Beach near by. The hotel menu looked nice on the Friday but not on the Saturday so we went out both nights which was a shame. Bournemouth is also a 5 minute drive so a great location and easily walked.
If i had gone with my parent i think i wouldn't have a bad word to say about this hotel but it was not what was sold to me and i think that it was unfair to be misled and not informed about the restrictions for disabled people.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms and family rooms for space. 4th floor gets the best views! room 406
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank suzannefilson
Reviewed 20 October 2013

never know what to expect, but this turned out to be a very enjoyable two day break.
the staff were very good , food too a high standard .
shame about the hot water coming from the cold tap to clean ones teeth, but we did not mention at the time...

Room Tip: try to get a sea view
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Pleasantly surprised at this hotel. We booked a 2 night last minute stay with a sea view.
We had room 301 which had a beautiful panoramic view of the sea. The staff were very efficient, friendly & made the weekend a really enjoyable experience, on top of the fantastic location, right on the beach. The food in the restaurant was top class & breakfast which was Buffett style, had plenty of choice. Great value break in a hotel with charm.

Room Tip: Room 301 has a fantastic view & is a bit rugged around the edges but very clean & would always be my first choice.
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We paid £58 per night for a three night stay - Bed and breakfast. The breakfast was really good - although not freshly cooked, the buffet was pretty good with quality back bacon and sausages. The coffee was good and there was a choice of juices (although not tomato)

I have to say that the Hotel, although somewhat down at heel in places, is wonderful.
The location is fantastic for sea views. The terraced gardens leading down to Boscombe Pier are amazing.

Whatever you do (if you can afford to) - upgrade to a sea-view room - preferably one with a balcony. They are so fantastic.
We arrived in mid October and the outside pool was very much in action - heated of course - to such an extent there was steam coming from it's surface!! The guy who looked after it said that it could close in a couple of days if there was stormy weather or could go on for another couple of weeks if the weather was good. There is also an indoor Pool and a hot Jacuzzi.

There are two issues that detract from my overall positive review.
1. The sound proofing between/in the rooms is very poor.
2. There aren't a great deal of restaurants within walking distance of it. We managed to find four within a comfortable walking distance. A Thai, a Harvester and a couple of informal surfers (American type) restaurants.
We did take a taxi to Abduls Indian and Bangladeshi Restaurant on Boscombe High Street for about £6 each way. Really recommend that - it has no liquor licence. Buy your alcohol from the Premier off-licence a few steps away from it. There is currently no corkage charge - how fantastic is that!!
I would like to return.

Room Tip: Go for a sea-view or preferably a sea-view with a balcony
1  Thank Arthur_Tash