“Spa and afternoon tea”
Review of Chine Hotel

Chine Hotel
Ranked #22 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

I purchased a groupon deal and to be honest for the money I wasn't expecting much but boy was I in for a treat! Started with a quick trip to the gym, not state of the art but well equipt. Then to the spa, which includes an ample sized pool, indoor jacuzzi, sauna and a fantastic steaming hot outdoor Swedish hot tub! We had this to ourselves for most of the morning except a few very friendly older ladies, was very relaxing. We then went to the gallery bar (awesome sea views) for afternoon tea and again was not expecting much after a wonderful morning and given we already felt we'd had value for money is thought maybe this is where they would scrimp but I have to say I was not in the slightest dissappointed between two we had two rounds of sandwiches, clotted cream tea each, four cakes and two vanilla moose things and a large pot of tea. I have to say throughout our day the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Had a great time and will definitely be back !

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank southamptonscott

Reviewed 12 November 2013

This is the fourth time we have stayed at the Chine, and we will return again. The Chine is a well located 3 star hotel with excellent staff, good facilities, and a really positive attitude towards children.

The kids club staff are engaging and fun, and it is lovely to be able to have dinner in peace in the dining room while the children are being entertained elsewhere. Our 8 years olds felt completely at home, and (being half term) there were plenty of similarly aged children for them to play with.

The outdoor pool was still open during the October half term (bliss) and was piping hot. Equally, the indoor pool was fine, and we used the table tennis table and snooker room as well when the weather was poor. Best of all were the (very international) staff, who were universally friendly and charming. Even when our children were whizzing around the reception area on their heeleys, the staff just smiled and laughed - at most hotels, this would have engendered sneers.

The food was good throughout, and breakfast in particular was hot, plentiful and relaxing in the sea-view lounge. The children enjoyed having an early tea at 5pm which again had lots of choice and had healthy as well as unhealthy options.

We stayed in the main hotel in interconnecting rooms 317 and 319. The adult room was a good size with lots of storage, sea facing with its own balcony and a wonderful outlook, whilst the twin room was huge and side facing - both had their own bathroom. The decor was ok, but not exceptional - I guess what you'd expect from a 3 star hotel.

The only thing I would question is the very old fashioned lift. My children were fine, but if I had younger children, I would have been paranoid about their fingers getting trapped.

All in all, a very good family friendly open. Thank you to all at the Chine for a lovely break!

Room Tip: 317 and 319 are interconnecting rooms in the main hotel, with a 6 ft bed in the main sea-view room...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Just returned from weekend stay.hotel is lovely staff pleasent it could do with some updating but it is an older building room was a good size breakfast and dinner could not fault exceptional. Parking not a problem.would definately come back.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 10 November 2013

With so many hotels to choose from in the Bournemouth area and with several unhappy experiences in the past with many of these we had booked a short break at the Chine with expectations not that high? - Reading some of the other reviews it does seem that you have to be fortunate in what room you are allocated but our own personal experience was exceptional - Efficient staff in all departments of the Hotel/Large Spotlessly Clean Sea View Room/Heated Indoor Swimming Pool/Free Parking/Buffet Style Breakfast - Found no Negatives from our stay and will definitely be staying again very soon - My thanks to Manger and Staff for their attentiveness and helpfulness during our stay,

Room Tip: Request an upgraded Room!!
1  Thank Jeff K
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Have just returned from 3 days in Bournemouth at the Chine hotel, had a lovely break, hotel very good value. Stayed 2 nights on a bed and breakfast deal. The room was excellent, very large, had good views of the hotel garden and sea. The breakfast buffet was more than adequate. Hotel very handy for Boscombe beach and the small pier. Lovely walk along the sea front to Bournemouth pier, about 1.5 miles (2300 mtrs). Sadly the weather was not that good but it did not deter us having a good time.

Room Tip: Had a room on the second floor with lovely views of the garden and the sea, room 201.
1  Thank MIKE F
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed here for a birthday treat last weekend and I have to say we were rather disappointed with the room we were given. We booked this through Secret Escapes and were told to expect a sea-view room with balcony. Yes we got that but we did not get the rooms that are displayed on the hotel website which show modern "boutique" type rooms. Our room (and several others on our floor) were definitely stuck in the 80s! The bathroom can only be described as "skinny" with very "public toilet" flooring and a toilet that was wedged in between the bath and the wall with barely inches of space either side! No good for large people! When reclining in the bath trying to relax and unwind, it's not altogether pleasant to have the toilet inches from your face!

Having said that the staff were very friendly, the room service was good and the communal areas of the hotel were of a good standard. The location of the hotel is excellent for walks along the beach and to get into Bournemouth centre easily without all the noise of the City.

As it was my birthday treat, I did not want to make a fuss at the time as my husband had booked it as a surprise, but it would be better if on the website there was a true reflection of all the rooms available.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated sea-view room with balcony otherwise you will end up back in the 80s!
1  Thank ShellC1984
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Hi, I have just come back from a 2 night stay at The Chine.
I thought the hotel was absolutely perfect for what I wanted.
I travelled alone with my 6 year old son and wanted somewhere with kids activities to keep him entertained.
He loved the kids club and soft play area and kids activities (older kids and teenagers might find it not as interesting), the breakfast was great and staff friendly.
the location to the beach is great, a short walk and the indoor and outdoor pool really good also. there is also the option to eat in a local cafe or Harvester if you prefer.
for a 3 star property, I was impressed. the room I stayed in had recently been refurbished, the king bed was very comfy.
the porter was especially helpful and kind to my little one.
I felt that this was a great place for younger children during half term. Cant wait to go back in the summer when the weather is warmer.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family