“Good location for Bournmouth”
Review of Chine Hotel

Chine Hotel
Ranked #21 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Lymington, United Kingdom
“Good location for Bournmouth”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Recently stayed at The Chine to celebrate a relatives 90th birthday. We found the staff, accommodation and food to be as described and the food in particular very good. The restaurant staff were very obliging. Car parking may pose a small problem, but the one and only very small lift is not really up to the task. It is what I call a Parisian lift, capable of enclosing 5 but realistically only 2 can safely be carried with a small suitcase at that. Also it has 2 separate closing doors, so if one is not closed properly or not at all,then a problem exists, particularly for the elderly,

Room Tip: If you need to use a lift , say above level one then be prepared to wait at busy times, also you may...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
london
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My family of 4 recently stayed at this hotel. The staff were really eager to please and very friendly. The actual hotel is gorgeous with beautiful gardens and an outdoor pool that really is warm. The food was good and the service was good too. The rooms were fine except for the very dirty carpets which really were moist with dirt. The rooms themselves were perfectly fine with a separate room with bunk beds for the kids. Besides the carpet , the rooms were kept clean every day.
The best of the hotel is the location which is a short walk through the hotel grounds to the promenade.

1 Thank marcelleLondon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Beds were uncomfortable, still suffering from a bad back after 2 days, the food was average with a very small selection on the menu, the restaurant staff need a bit of training in how to be waiters/waitresses, all a bit up in the air, (ie Breakfast with no drinks offered on first morning) we had to go and ask, and the moment you have put your knife and fork down then are under your nose taking your plate away - this got my back up a lot. and to top it off we ordered a family room and I specified my daughter was 2 and a hlf yrs old, in which upon arriving at our room we were presented with a shower and no bath!!!

2 Thank Julian P
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a fab 2 night break for my mum's 60th. We had 3 generations, from a 4 year old to a 90 year old. The staff couldn't be faulted, all were very polite and went out of their way to help us especially in the restaurant. We had a lovely family room with separate space for children's bunk beds and large balcony from which we could see the sea and gardens. My nan had huge room which was perfect to get the wheelchair round. The food in the restaurant was delicious with amazing service, so good on the first night that we cancelled our dinner reservation in town so we could eat there again. The children ( and us) loved the outdoor pool which was really warm so we could use it even when the weather wasn't that great. We will definitely be returning, huge thank you to hotel staff for making my mum's birthday stay so special.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Sunbury on Thames
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is an independant hotel doing a lot of good things. Clearly back in the 1940's and 1950's, when Bournemouth/Boscombe was at the centre of the UK entertainment industry, this was the place to be.
The hotel is quite old and in some areas it is dated and in need of updating. But the areas that really count to me, the rooms and the restaurant/bar, are in good shape. Make no mistake, if you want a modern clinical hotel this is not it. This hotel has lots of old English charm, which is brilliantly demonstrated by the lift which is a wrought iron double gated/door style lift. My 8 year old son loved, as did my wife and I. I cant remember the last time I saw anything like this, particularly in perfect working order.
Our room was incredibly hot, but opening the windows and letting in the sea breeze helped a lot.
Service from the staff all around was excellent. This is a hotel that is doing a lot of things right and trying realy hard to compete.
The food in the restaurant was very good and for dinner at £14.95 for 2 courses, represented excellent value.
The location of the hotel is good, you are close enough to central Bournemouth to walk in about 20 minutes, but far enough away from the busy central area.
The gardens are very nice but for me and my son the outdoor pool was brilliant. It is warmed to 32 degrees and was like a warm bath. The pool area itself has sunbeds and is a wind shelter, so on a sunny but not really hot day it was possible for sunbathing (and lots of people were).
We didn't make use of the entertainment but there was plenty arranged for children, along with a soft play area.
The longer we stayed at the hotel the more we warmed to it and if we returned to Bournemouth we would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Avoid 314 as it is located directly outside the lift and main staircase - it can be quite noisy when...
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Lovely rooms, friendly staff and fabulous location. Great price via Guardian Escapes which made the experience all the more edifying. If it's raining there's plenty to do in the hotel, including a lovely pool.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tracie A
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My husband and myself have just enjoyed a two night break at this hotel. Our first impression wasn't particularly good because we couldn't find anywhere to park at first, which is never good after a long journey but when we eventually checked in and asked, we were told that we could park in front of any of the three properties next to the hotel where there were plenty of spaces.
The hotel is on the hillside which leads down to the beach and to Boscombe Pier. The walk through the gardens is lovely with a waterfall and a pond on one of the levels. Beware though that there are also voracious mosquitoes in that part of the garden. We stopped to sit and chill for a little while at which time I was bitten a couple of times. Mosquitoes always plague me where ever I go and when travelling abroad I always protect myself but didn't realise there would be that necessity in England in the Spring. My husband sat there with his bare arms and they ignored him - as usual.
The food was lovely both for the evening meals and for breakfast with a range of choices, made all the more enjoyable by the view of the ocean and the gardens.
The walk along the front to Bournemouth was easy and once in Bournemouth there was plenty to see and do.
The outdoor and indoor pools were really good and the changing room was clean. There was a room with soft play equipment for under sevens which was impressive and made me wish we had our 2 year old granddaughter with us, she would have love it.
We had a garden room on the second floor which had great views, was spacious and comfortable.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to couples and families.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple