“Good Time at The Chine”

Ranked #27 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Cm13da
“Good Time at The Chine”
Reviewed 9 December 2009

We certainly had a good time at this hotel. Check in was easy and we were allowed into our room half an hour early. Parking was easy too as it was a Thursday when we arrived there were not too many people there. The receptionist were friendly and efficient especially when I had trouble with the remote control on the TV not working it was sorted out within five minutes - they sent someone up to our room to sort the problem out. The reception area was nicely decorated and welcoming. We had a room on the top floor and the receptionist asked if I wanted help with my luggage, which I didn't. The lift is small but has character with the kind of doors you have to pull by hand when getting in and out of the lift. The hotel is very clean on all floors and well decorated. Our room was superb, very large with a large king bed and a TV (flat screen 32 inch) on the wall opposite the bed so you didn't have neck ache. There was a sea view from Boscombe Pier to Sandbanks from our window which also included the hotel garden. The en-suite facilities were clean with complimentary shampoo and shower gel and included a bath/shower. Where we were placed it was very quiet, no traffic noise and there is no main road by the hotel just a small road. Breakfast was served from 7am to 9.30 am weekdays and about half hour later at the weekend. The breakfast was good with good quality food, sausages, bacon, eggs, etc. and plenty of it so we were not hungry for most of the day. The serving staff were friendly but unassuming, efficient and professional and did a good job helping to make the hotel experience good. One night it was raining fairly heavy and the hotel laid on a staff member to guide people into parking spaces and take their shopping into the hotel something I've never seen before - nice touch. There is a gym, swimming pool, etc. which looks good but we did not use it - too much effort. The garden is well kept and there is plenty of it and it is interesting with a fountain and waterfall. The garden leads down to the beach so we ended up near to Boscombe pier where there is surfing and watersports and a Harvester if you want to eat nearby. The hotel is three star but it is quality.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
HotelResponsePoole, Management Representative at The Chine Hotel, responded to this review, 19 January 2010
Dear Essexcurryman – It is always a pleasure to read about such an enjoyable stay, so thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Even if you did not use all the facilities, such as the gym, it certainly sounds as though you made the most of your stay and explored both the hotel and our beautiful gardens.

We are pleased that you had such an enjoyable time at The Chine and hope to welcome you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
London
Reviewed 10 November 2009

Stayed at this hotel with my husband, 4 year old and 4 month old.

The downside first! When we arrived we were given a huge family room but with a continential style wet room shower. It has no bath. Not very suitable with 2 children under the age of 4. There was also extremely loud banging (building work) in the rooms above. The bed also looked like it was sagging in the middle. My heart sank. After dragging suitcases, sterlizers and buggy etc.. into the room, I was nominated as the person to go and see if we could change rooms.

I explained our concerns to the woman on the desk and without apology just looked at her computer and allocated us another room in the adjoining building.

This room was like being in a completely different hotel. This room was fine. Quite nice actually for a 3 star hotel.

The other things that were a let down were that the cot for our baby which had clean sheets and blankets really looked like it had been pulled out of a skip. We were so relieved at changing rooms though that we just checked it was clean and let it go. The breakfast was fine but a big let down was the quality of the bread. Extremely cheap over processed and sweet tasting sliced pan. I do not expect artisan breads in a 3 star hotel but this could be improved upon easily. We were given no directions or introduction to the hotel and had to ask where everything was located and when we got to the gate at the bottom of the garden luckily the gardener was there to give us the combination to get out.

However, after the first day things got better. They made a great effort with room service when our children were asleep. The food was nice and considering I have to have a special diet they really were helpful and flexible.

The beach was lovely and clean and the pool in the hotel was enjoyable.

In the end we did enjoy our stay and will be back as it was good value for money. I do not think I would pay peek time full rate though.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank cruachan9
HotelResponsePoole, Management Representative at The Chine Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2010
cruachan9 – Many thanks for your review. I am saddened to hear that perhaps your initial opinion of the hotel was disappointing, but pleased that you raised your concerns with our Reception team and that we were able to re-locate your bedroom and that your overall thoughts were more positive.

Your comments regarding the lack of communication of our facilities and their location have been passed to the Hotel Manager for actioning, along with your comments regarding the bread at breakfast.

We look forward welcoming you, and your family, back to the hotel soon.
London, UK
Reviewed 3 October 2009

As a solo business traveller, I was (as is often the case) put in the worst room the hotel had - 210 if I recall correctly - small, unrefurbished, illuminated by the outside spotlights and right above the pan-smashing, crockery-crashing kitchen. Had I gritted my teeth and stayed there, this would have been a different review. However, the staff were kindness itself in moving me to a large, quiet, refurbished room in a separate house that belongs to the hotel, and this made all the difference. The room had a comfortable bed, was clean, well-designed and decorated (though cheap furniture is already showing the knocks of use); had a good bathroom, plenteous towels and lots of hot water. Some of these are basics but many places get them wrong.

The Chine is part of a family-run high-end chain and you can feel this in the service and attention to detail. I was (in my new room!) interested in bringing my family for a visit and no trouble was spared to show me a series of (excellent) family-friendly rooms and to introduce me to the many facilities for familes, which look unusualy comprehensive. The spa looks good. The Chine's location is excellent, close but not too close to Bournemouth centre, next to gardens (and with its own ample estate including facilities for kids) and Boscombe's own beach. The breakfast buffet in the large traditional restaurant changes and is varied and good (I did not take a main meal at the Chine), the bar/lounge staff are attentive and helpful with tea/drinks/snacks, though the lack of a proper lounge area as such (?sacrificed for the second, groovier restaurant, which was closed when I was there) and of any civilised outdoor place for a guest to sit and smoke are negatives.

Overall, and thanks to the room-move, the attitude of staff and the quality and facilities of the hotel, this was a positive stay: Room 210 should be closed down, some of the common parts of the main hotel could do with brightening and (ideally, but business is business) a few less SAGA parties would help the atmosphere. But I would return and may well bring the family.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank TheOldTiger
HotelResponsePoole, Revenue Manager at The Chine Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2009
fraisse10- Thank you for your candid review, your comments, both positive and negative were greatly appreciated. We were delighted with your observations relating to the standards of service received but equally understand the need for improvement in other areas of the hotel. We have a rolling refurbishment program underway and you can be assured your original room is targeted!
We look forward to welcoming you and your family to The Chine in the near future.
Suffolk
Reviewed 29 September 2009

Great hotel, great location, great staff, great food, fantastic cocktail bar. What more can I say, yes the huge sea view room could maybe have done with a bit of refreshing but everything about this hotel is just what you want if your looking for a relaxing break. I stay at many hotels in the UK and I can say I have never come across staff that were so happy, they all seemed to interact so well with each other, they made you feel like they were happy to help you. The grounds are lovely and lead onto the sea front with a couple of good food and drink outlets. A cab into Bournemouth would cost yuo £6 and well worth it for addtional options to eat and shop. But cant wait to return to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JJ13Suffolk
HotelResponsePoole, Revenue Manager at The Chine Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2009
Dear JJ13Suffolf2,
Thank you so much for your great review and please be assured your comments will be passed on. We are really glad you enjoyed your stay. Over the past year we have undergone a lot of wonderful changes, so it’s nice to hear that they are effective.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
richierichworld
Reviewed 16 September 2009

The Chine Hotel is one of the FJB Groups. I was apprehensive to book this hotel but since it was a last minute holiday, I thought if its bad then shant be back and if its average wont bother a mention. However it did our expectations.
Stay Duration- 2nights and 3days
Arrival. The reception staff were very efficent and prompt, they had our rooms ready for our arrival despite of us arriving 30mins early. The first impression was a sophisticated and plush decor, entrance and the reception area was clean and the main area was well presented. We were given direction to our room by the reception, the way to the room was slightly far through the corridors and then through the small (very) small lift, this lift is worth a mention its an old fashioned lift dating to the early 1950's .
Room was a sea/beach view: It was clean and well presented with 4poster bed and a small bed for our daughter. The bathroom was clean with toiletries and sufficent towels and hand towels. The room had huge balcony over looking the Hotel's garden and the Boscombe beach.
The Hotel has got an elegant Restaurant for breakfast and dinner, it also has 2 bar come lounge. The staff are extremely helpful and courteous. The bar has a famous cocktail nomination for a world's best cocktail.
I found that the restaurant has very limited choices for vegetarians for their dinner menu, I opted to eat out in the town centre, although I would have liked to sample the vege menu however it didnt look very appetizing, although other guest did comlient the menu selection.
The fascilities: it has indoor pool,outdoor pool,gym,sauna and outdoor jaccuzi. All the fascilities were clean and well equiped.
Kids Day care, the hotel had events and kids schedule throughout our stay, which I was told that it was brilliant by my 4yr old.
Over all 3 star hotel with aspirations to be a 5star but presentations and attitude of 4star. I must admit it was a definite come back to this one..

3 Thank richierichworld
HotelResponsePoole, Revenue Manager at The Chine Hotel, responded to this review, 22 September 2009
RichieRichworld - thank you so much for taking the time out to review our hotel after your stay. Your review is really detailed and it’s always nice to hear the positives. Equally though you have pointed out some shortcomings in respect of our vegetarian menu, which I can assure, you will be passed onto our kitchen.
In respect of the Children’s Entertainment, this is a really well established and popular choice for families, so your daughter is in good company. To see what is happening over the forthcoming holidays, remember to keep an eye on our website as we update this regularly.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Reviewed 1 September 2009

We have stayed in The Chine for the past three years, most recently Aug 09, and have enjoyed it each time. The restaurant has an extensive breakfast buffet and offers excellent evening meals. The children's high tea 5-5.30 also offers a variety of food, all of a high standard. Miguel the restaurant manager was very attentive and helpful. The hotel has refurbished many of their bedrooms and communal areas over the past couple of years so in addition to being kept spotlessly clean, many bedrooms now have flat screen TVs and modern decor and bathrooms. The restaurant has been supplemented by a separate bistro with an enticing menu. There is a gym, sauna, outdoor hot tub, indoor and outdoor pools and a children's play area. This summer the children's entertainment was provided by 'Funsters' with three sessions each day and an increased variety of activities compared to our previous stay (half term, Oct 08). Our children enjoyed the sessions organised by Magic Martin and Bonkers Beth - and we all enjoyed the family quiz night! We hope to return next year and see some surfing action at the new reef off Boscombe beach, which is only a stone throw from the hotel's terraced gardens.

1 Thank Alwyn F
HotelResponsePoole, Manager at The Chine Hotel, responded to this review, 14 September 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on The Chine Hotel. It is especially nice to receive feedback from guests that have been staying with us over the years and appreciate the recent changes and improvements.

The extended children’s entertainment has been very popular, this summer, so this is something that we are hoping to repeat with future school holidays.

The latest reports indicate that the new reef is almost completed, so we should see some action down there soon.

We look forward to welcoming you back next year – if not before!
London
Reviewed 29 August 2009

We just returned from a 5 day stay at The Chine. The hotel has recently been refurbished and is in good location.
A special thank you to Magic Martin & Bonkers Beth - The Kids Entertainers who did a fantastic job!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Jason – thanks for your kind comments.

We have passed on your thanks to Martin & Beth, who looking forward to seeing you and your family again soon.