“Traditional style hotel, v comfortable, breakfast disappointing”
Review of Hotel Miramar

and 1 more site!
Hotel Miramar
Ranked #13 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Stayed in this hotel for one night, a double and 2 singles. The rooms were clean and tidy and I found the bed comfortable though we all had to switch off our radiators and open the windows as the rooms were stifling when we arrived (though it was cold and wet outside). Public areas also overheated. We are not elderly and it may be that many residents feel the cold more than us.

We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening though had breakfast. Initially they wanted to seat us seperately as the restaurant staff did not know that the 3 rooms were booked together. I think we were lucky that someone had just vacated a table for 4. Always look forward to a full English when away as rare at home but this was disappointing, as the elements were not very good quality especially the sausage and mushrooms (tinned?). Miniscle fried bread. The scrambled egg was good and freshly made but overall not a very generous plate of food.

Generally we found the staff to be polite and helpful, no problems with service. The hotel was attractive and well furnished (and we were excited to find that JRR Tolkein had spent many holidays there). We would probably stay again if the right price as more comfortable and a better service than a chain hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 February 2013

We have stayed at the Miramar before about four years ago and this time went for two days. Our room was very nice but the bed was incredibly hard - which meant we didn't sleep at all well for both nights - the hotel was also extremely hot in the public areas - and despite turning the heater off in our room and opening windows it was still a bit stifling! Internet access was very random with a weak signal.

Our first evening meal was very good but the service rushed us through - so rather than having a leisurely meal we had practically finished within half an hour! As soon as we had ordered, the food arrived, the minute we put our cutlery down the plate was removed and the next course brought out - it was even faster on the second night! Yet on the second morning at breakfast we were left waiting for ages to even order and when I eventually managed to call someone over - they weren't exactly friendly! The food was good though.

However, our main 'gripe' was that on the first evening our car (along with a couple of others) was broken into - with quite a lot stolen - whilst parked in the Hotel carpark. We were really surprised and whilst the police were great and the Hotel reasonably helpful - they did not once apologise or try and make up for this upset in anyway at all. I know it was not their fault that we had our car broken into but basic customer service would have been to at least apologise to us and recognise that this greatly upset our stay and our experience.

So I am afraid a big thumbs down for complete lack of customer service. It was obvious that we were just another 'number' in the Hotel (e.g. the habit of always giving you the same table - which is annoying and dull!) rather than actual people.

Needless to say we will never go back....we have stayed all over in big cities and small villages and never once have we had a problem with security re: our car - so it's just not worth the risk.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a newer bed!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank maggie e
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Just got home from yet another stay at the Miramar, what a lovely friendly hotel it is, I just love staying there. My room had a balcony that overlooked Poole Bay which is beautiful, it was tasfully furnished and the bathroom was first class. The meal times were a truly special with exciting menu's that always capture you taste buds, cooked well and served by attentive staff.
I have also spent a Christmas at this Hotel and it was one of my happiest memories, I would like to go again but I can't get a room as the regulars go year after year!
This Hotel so deserves to be 4 star.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front overlooking the sea are breathtaking, but anyway it's not a noisy hotel and I...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

All I can really say, is if you're considering a stay at this wonderful hotel then book it!!

I had the day of dreams on my wedding day, August 18th 2012, and I really could not have wanted more from my experience. Throughout the entire booking and planning process, the staff were amazing and very professional. My wedding coordinator, David (with the help of Brett) was second to none, not only with the wedding package itself, but with recommendations of various wedding retailers, of which I used a few and passed details to others that I knew who were getting married.

The wedding day was outstanding and I couldn't have wished for a better day. Everything was exactly how I'd hoped it was and more!! The rooms are spacious and cleaned to a very high standard and the hotel itself is decorated beautifully with stunning Edwardian features. The staff were all polite, helpful and very welcoming to all our guests, and many of our guests even remarked about the service they'd received and how impressed they were. The food is outstanding and I didn't see plates with food left at the end of the wedding breakfast!! Even better, is the wonderful breakfast service, freshly made cooked breakfasts, pastries, fruit, cereals and much more made the morning experience as wonderful as the day previous. Thank you to the chefs and serving staff who worked so hard on our special day and then again in the morning :)

All in all, I don't normally EVER write reviews, but this experience has made me want to shout about it, if you're thinking of staying at the Hotel Miramar or getting married there the I seriously would recommend it, I genuinely could not have had a better wedding day-thank you to everyone who helped make it as beautiful as it was, and a special thank you to David. We will certainly be visiting again soon!!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Jenni86W
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Just returned from our 4th stay at this lovely hotel. Have only stayed for one night on each occasion after Company xmas do but, felt that it deserves a decent review. Location is good, less than 1/2 mile from shops and pier. Stayed in Room 217, very spacious (is a family room but only booked a double). It was very clean and well appointed with tea/coffee facilities, tv, trouser press, and toiletries in bathroom with one of those "rainforest" sized showerheads. Much better than a lot of 4 stars in London. Easy book in and checkout. Staff very friendly, efficient and helpful. Breakfast served in the room was on time and still piping hot. Is very popular for weddings etc so advice would be to check with hotel if you want to avoid these. Total cost for the room and breakfast for the two of us was £70

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2012

We have stayed at different hotels in the area. We stayed at the hotel twice. This one is simply one of the best AA 3* hotels in B'mouth. Clean and elegant. The room breakfast service is superb. The hotel staff are very helpful. They brought an additional heater in the middle of the night moments after I asked for one. If a room is available, I wouldn't hesitate to go back for my next trip to Miramar.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Unfortunately two other groups were booked at the same lunchtime. While the food was very good the service left much to be desired. In between courses the wait seemed so long. Sitting down for 1pm, by 2pm we had reached the main course. At 3.15pm coffee had not been served. This is unacceptable for a hotel of this standing.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends