“Short break in February with family friends to celebrate our Wedding Anniversarys”
Review of Hotel Miramar

Hotel Miramar
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely time at The Miramar in February. The stay was excellent and thoroughly enjoyed by the four of us. From our first meeting with the receptionist who was great we were made to feel at home. We had two seaview rooms which were very comfortable and warm with nice showers and clean towels every day. We had bed breakfast and evening meals all of which were freshly cooked and served by excellent staff. We were treated to lovely cream teas with warm scones , very nice and enjoyed by all, thank you. The hotels situated on the Eastcliffe overlooking the sea and within walking distance to the city centre and shops parks cinema etc and an easywalk to the beaches, so very convenient.We thoughly enjoyed our stay and the great food and excellent staff service. Thank you very much we hopefully will be back soon .

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Polish first
Poole, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Having lived in Bournemouth for a while, you get to know the locality. First off, the Miramar is in a fantastic location. You can park at the back (ample spaces! Hurrah!), and you can walk through the hotel and be on the clifftop and down on the beach in minutes. It has a true sea-view just past its lovely, well-cared-for gardens.

From first setting foot in the hotel just after Christmas last year (I've lived in Bournemouth since I was a baby and I'm ashamed to admit I've never been in there before!) my then fiancé and I were blown away by the fact that:
(a) neatly dressed, polite staff greeted us, there were enough of them manning the desk and bar, and they came to talk to us straight away about our wedding needs etc,
(b) the hotel was clean, recently decorated (nothing shabby here!), and warm - no skimping on heating, either, despite it being a quieter time of year. They keep the public areas warm, which was an important consideration since if our February wedding was to be here, I would be having elderly relatives staying in the hotel and I did not want them to freeze!
(c) they weren't at all phased by the fact that we were planning a wedding just 2 months away. They put us at such ease - they knew what they were doing!

There's a couple of things we've done beyond actually have the wedding here (wedding later).

Dinner:
We trialled the food two evenings - and we were very happy! Silver service, three course affair brought to us by polite, neat waiters in the beautiful surroundings of the restaurant. The price was good - too - and again, more staff than I'm ever used to seeing in 99% of places where there always seems too few because the only poor souls they have are running around like headless chickens. The extra staff means you never have to wait to hail someone - just a look and someone comes over. Excellent! Oh, and the food was superb!

Afternoon Teas:
I've been here with both family and friends, and it's always lovely to sit in one of the comfy chairs and enjoy either sandwiches or a cream tea. And my goodness, living in Dorset, you get used to cream teas and put up with the usual dry scone and lacklustre tea/coffee. No more shall I do that. The Miramar must make their own scones - I've never had ones so soft and fresh!! Complete with yummy posh jam and cream. Brilliant. And they have all sorts of teas, even right down to my awkward decaf earl grey requirements ;-) I can thoroughly recommend them for nibbles afternoon on a lazy Sunday afternoon!

Our Wedding (finally):
From the outset, their professionalism and courtesy shone through. The price agreed was the price paid at the end of the day - and we were on a special deal, so we did not pay a lot to start with!! They bent over backwards to help us with all of our little requirements. They are used to doing weddings, but that does not mean mass-market, shove 'em through the door approach. They were thoughtful of the chair sash colour we had, ordering in specially the colour we wanted (without any extra charge). There was always someone on hand to answer questions, be it over the phone or popping in without warning them in the lead up to the big day.
They also made sure the rooms for family were just what was required - keeping people close together, mobility issues etc., whilst also providing a special lower rate for the guests :-)

On the big day...
To start with, it was raining. I swear from the moment I stepped out of the car there was a Miramar minion with a brolly to save me from the elements, and he was there to look after the photographer or my hair, without being asked, whenever we stepped outside throughout the day. Now THAT'S customer service. The hotel looked wonderful; it's such a fantastic backdrop for the photos, even on a miserable day where people are hiding indoors most of the time.

The meal was flawless and delicious, with vegetarians and other diets being catered for. Even one member of our guests who had to disappear out for most of it with her baby had food brought to her afterwards so she didn't starve - they noticed and thought about her :-)

The evening do was wonderful, with a manned bar just outside where you could shut the doors and have a quiet moment. The bacon butties that came with our package deal were just what everyone needed - they all vanished, haha! I'm sure I saw most menfolk taking at least two helpings... ;-)

Finally, after a tiring day, we got to our Bridal Suite. We were given one heck of a room!! Lovely queen-size bed, walk in wardrobe that's bigger than my bathroom, little lounge area, glamorous new bathroom suite with his and her sink, and the main selling point - a balcony all for ourselves with a view over the sea.... But the most lovely thing? We had no idea this was the hotel, or that they'd do this... There was a heart made of rose petals laid on the bed, along with a beautiful wooden plaque with our names and our wedding date. What a lovely, lovely touch - I thought it was an idea or a gift from my best friend - but no! All the hotel.

The next morning, as a bonus, we were brought fresh tea and coffee to our door. Ahhh, lovely! And the breakfast was amazing. Lots of choices and seriously yummy food, again with the amazing service as I've experienced everywhere in the hotel.

Overall....

As a wedding experience, they made the day perfect. It was so beautiful there, all our guests were comfortable and full of praise for the place (and no doubt thought we paid a lot for the privilege). There were some resident wedding guests who stayed up well past their bedtime into the wee hours of the night, and there was still someone behind the bar to serve them.

Can I recommend this venue as a wedding venue? As a venue for just sitting down in and having a cuppa? As a restaurant? Yes, all of them and more. Absolutely!!
The pride this old family-owned hotel (not a chain - hurrah!) takes in their work and the kindness and utter professionalism with which they deal with their customers and guests is wonderful. I used to work in the hotel trade, and deal with customer service everyday, so I can tell you all of these guys are GOOD!! You will be spoilt here :-) I know I can't wait to go back and sample some more of those scones and relive the best day of my life... ;-)

Room Tip: Sea-view rooms will cost more, as far as I know. For your own sake, double-check all requirements...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Marie C
Wimborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I actually had my wedding reception here back in November 2013, but have only just got around to writing a review. Everything was perfect. We told the Manager what we wanted for our wedding and he took this and ran with it. He made our dreams come true and the staff were excellent. Not only did they contend with 100 guests for the afternoon, as well as still serving afternoon tea and lunch to other customers, they then dealt with 150 Evening guests, whilst dealing with another party of 100+ which was in another part of the hotel. As our guests left and my new Husband and I went upstairs, the other party was still in full swing, but we didn't hear them at all. I couldn't recommend this hotel enough for a wedding. Polite staff, excellent food and superb venue. On Sunday 16th March, myself and my Mum and 4 others booked afternoon tea. It is something which we do every year and last year we went to The Langtry Manor. Although it was very nice there, not only was it more expensive at the Langtry, but the sandwiches and cakes were nowhere near as nice as they were at The Miramar. We had the stunning view of the ocean and sat outside in the glorious sunshine. The cakes were beautiful and original and the open prawn sandwich was delectable. A very nice yearly treat, that after yesterday, may just become a more regular thing. Absolutely nothing to complain about.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Laura J
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Excellent, clean, well run hotel. One night visit for a reunion. Staff were very helpful . we were on a dinner bed and breakfast tariff, the three course meal and coffee and the breakfast were excellent with a good choice. The location at the top of the cliff overlooking the sea was a bonus. Would highly recommend this hotel. Only one small problem was the power shower, nice if you are having the shower but very noisey for the people in the next room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ian C
DEVON
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I have stayed here many times over the past few years and the hotel and its staff have never failed to impress, from making the booking to the point of leaving is an experience that leaves you wondering why other hotels cant be like this one, if you want something it will be done with no questions asked ,the attention to detail and the level of service is second to none, the food is exceptional and there is always plenty to eat and if you fancy something different the staff will do their best for you, the staff are very proffesional at all times especially young jane who takes everything in her stride, the rooms are modern yet retain a semblance of class and style and there is more than enough room to accomodate weddings and gatherings of all sorts. This hotel is on my "return to " list.

Room Tip: Book early to get the seafront rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank BoyMarko
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We returned to the Miramar in January 2014 for our first wedding anniversary as our family had enjoyed it so much when we all went following our wedding the year before. We were sad that Sue from reception had retired but it was nice to see Martin and Jane B and Lyn and a few more familiar faces were all still there and very welcoming as usual. We were concerned to hear that a wedding was taking place on the Saturday, as we have had bad experiences with wedding parties and their guests in the past, but this was a "Well-behaved" wedding so we were able to enjoy our stay. The only thing that did make things difficult was a funeral party in the Terrace Lounge on the Friday afternoon. This meant that any residents staying around the hotel and several people who had booked in for lunch and afternoon tea were all squashed around the bar area. This is the only drawback with using the Terrace Lounge for functions during the day and it would be great if the hotel management could come up with a solution for this. More space needs to be found for residents and outside bookings for lunch and afternoon tea if functions are in the Terrace Lounge. It was bad enough for us but, if I had specially booked lunch or afternoon tea (particularly at the hotel prices!) and then arrived to find that I wasn't in the elegant lounge but was squashed around the bar area, I would have been asking for my money back. The Miramar staff are so lovely and the hotel does the day-to-day service for residents so well that it's a shame that the management seem to let the side down by trying to cram as many functions in as possible to the detriment of holiday guests. That was the one reason that we didn't choose the hotel for our wedding last year-we know how often guests are inconvenienced by a function. Come on, Miramar management, get your act together! Either confine functions to the Restaurant, Library and Garden Suite or make some more space!
If you are staying there and there isn't a function on, this hotel is excellent and the front of house staff are some of the best that we have ever encountered. The food is lovely and the service good. It's in a brilliant spot within walking distance of the sea-front and the centre of Bournemouth.

Room Tip: Ask first, when you book, if there is a function on and staff will usually book your rooms away from...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Potters Bar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Treated very well food good, reasonable prices Highly recommend.
Nicely situated on beach front overlooking Bournemouth Bay.
Plenty of secure parking space out back of hotel
A short walk into Bournemouth. Will book again