“Loved it”

Ranked #42 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Loved it”
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night. Having read the reviews on here I had no expectations. But friendly reception staff, lovely bar. Flat screen tv and lovely comfortable beds. Newly refurbished bathroom. Complimentary use of swimming pool. Room service. Everything as good as I could wish for.
Bad point. Floorboards!! Bring earplugs!
But all in all, great place and I would recommend it to anyone.
Great location too

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Red2945dogfood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

This hotel is in a great position for shopping in Bournemouth. The city centre is just a short walk from the shops, bars and restaurants.

There is ample parking, however if you use the lift up from the car park it is very sensitive with weight, one person and one piece of luggage is right!

The public areas are really nicely decorated and the staff were friendly and welcoming. The rooms were clean and very comfortable.

The shower could have done with a little more pressure but it was hot so that's all that matters.

There was a slight issue with road noise but being central you can't expect anything else. If you are a light sleeper be mindful of this, as for a non-sea view room.

The leisure facilities really let this hotel down. The pool is not heated, my friend and I got in as far as our knees and thought better of going in. In the hotel pictures it looks as though there was a jacuzzi, well there was, it is now a planted area. The hotel doesn't list a jacuzzi so there is no false advertising, but the picture could do with being updated. The tiles on the pool floor were coming off which made the pool look untidy. The sauna was nice. The gym area is very "intimate" quite a lot put in a very small space.

All in all the hotel is clean and comfortable and i would stay here again but wouldn't pack my swimming costume.

Room Tip: Non-sea view rooms would be quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alibee31
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed at The Trouville for a night last weekend and were really impressed by the cleanliness and standard of our room, considering the price. £60 was a real bargain for a comfortable bed, TV, bath with a good shower and cooked breakfast. The bar was also welcoming and a great place for an end-of-evening Baileys.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank MrsSmith23dec
Rainham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Would like to just add stayed at this Hotel for my birthday treat ,just for one night the hotel was very tidy and the bar area looked newish ,the reception was fine and the staff friendly Breakfast was good ,but weird to be served, most places are Buffet style now The room was freezing my husband sat on the end of the bed with his feet on the radiator, the only hot part of the room was the bathroom Room was in need of some TLC When I returned I spoke to our daughter about it she told me she would of put us off going there as she had stayed there a few years ago and said the same thing Hotel in need of some new radiators in the rooms Ideal location but will take Thermals next time Lift is a bit dated too no door just a gate going across !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Medwayshopper
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I was very surprised by the look of the hotel. Much better than I expected considering I paid £35 for single occupancy for one night. I was expecting a really run down hotel. In fact, what I found is a hotel with a dated decor, but everything was clean and working properly. It's old fashion, but I don't personally mind this as long as it's clean. And it was. I realised very quickly that the floors are creaking at every step, just like other reviewers said. So I feel sorry for the people who were sleeping under my room. I tried to keep the noise down but there isn't much you can do. You need to go to the bathroom and do your things while in the room. The hotel needs major refurbishment to fix this issue. The bathroom was simple and very clean. The water pump or whatever is behind the shower was very noisy and I am sure the neighbours could hear it. So, sorry about that, but there was nothing I could do about this either. However, the room next door must be some kind of family room and I could hear their children talking/shouting. So I can safely say I did not wake them up. All the floors in the corridors and stairs also creak, so when other guests come back late, you definitely hear them. It didn't bother me as I went to bed very late. I didn't hear any music from the nearby club, so the room I got was definitely a good one! so if you are a solo traveller or couple, ask for 314, it's quiet on that side, unless you have a noisy family next door.
It seemed odd to have the towel rail/warmer above the toilet... You have to be careful not to drop your towel in the toilet when you take it or dry your hands.
Detail... But it's little details that make this place good instead of very good or outstanding.
The TV bracket seemed a bit dodgy and the TV would not sit straight on it, but I don't go to hotels to watch TV. I went to Bournemouth to meet friends and see a show at the Pier Theatre, and this hotel did me just fine. It's minutes away from the BIC, the pier, the oceanarium, the beach... it's a great location, but beware, it's up a steep hill.
The reception staff was very nice and professional. I was very pleasantly surprised!! I would say the breakfast staff were not as good. They were polite. I was shown to my table and just told to go and help myself... but I wasn't shown where the hot food was or told where to find what. So I had to scan the room before I understood where to go first. It's not the end of the world, but it would be that little extra touch that is needed to make the stay outstanding rather than just good, if you see what I mean.
Again, it's just details. For the price I paid, I thought it was very good value and I will certainly go back to this hotel on my next trip to Bournemouth. I will also make sure I ask for a room on the 3rd floor because of the creaking floors!

Room Tip: 314 is on the top floor so you don't hear creaking floors above you and no noise from nearby clu...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Sandy H
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed there 5/6 Oct for the marathon weekend, The location was good but the Hotel was very disappointing! The floors squeaked above and below, disturbing every body who had to use the bathroom in the night! The dining room needed a good clean, we sat by the window and there were cobwebs in the corners and as the sun shone on the glass you could see how filthy they are. My son wife and 2 children stayed round the corner in a guest house and were made to feel very special, biscuits and hot chocolate for the children etc: for the 4 of them they paid less than my husband and self, we know were we will stay next time!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank margaret E
Reviewed 14 October 2013

As part of a group of 16 I stayed here for a hen weekend. The rooms were a good size and very clean although decor is in need of modernization. The lunch we had was fine and at breakfast was plenty to choose from. The pool was heated clean and well maintained. The staff were extremely helpful and the location is fab literally 5 mins into town centre. It is on a steep incline so not so good for those with difficulty walking. I would certainly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends