“Another good stay at the Durley Grange”

Durley Grange Hotel
Ranked #34 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Again my mum and myself stayed at this hotel for a five night break. We are always welcomed by Hamid, the proprietor who makes us very welcome. All the staff are so welcoming and make our stay fun. Food is excellent and served by very obliging and friendly staff.

Only two negative observations: The sauna could have been slightly hotter and our bathroom unfortunately wasn't cleaned properly during the stay (floor needed hoovering/sweeping).

However this was far outweighed by all the positives. Our room was warm and comfortable and had a TV with plenty of channels. There was live entertainment every night in the Dorset Lounge.
An the swimming pool was very relaxing and is my personal treat each afternoon before the evening meal.

Had one night of very disturbed sleep with youngsters who were drunk being very noisy. We did complain the next morning, as did other guests. Hope they don't take groups of youngsters again although I appreciate turning business away is hard.

This really is a gem of a hotel. Many of the guests return over and over again. We met up with three other folk who we had seen before on our previous visits! We will probably see them again when we return in August for a further 4 night break! Can't wait.

Excellent value for money, excellent hotel, excellent staff - look no further - just book!

Keg and Muriel (Sandhurst/Crowthorne)
28th May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Durley Grange over a Friday/Saturday night. Having read some of the recent reviews I have to question whether I stayed in the same place, I can only assume that I was unlucky enough to have one of the rooms that hasn't been refurbished in the refurbishment program which (going by the reviews and comments from management on here) have been ongoing for the last 2-3 years. I have attached photos of the room as I really don't think words do it justice. I appreciate that the hotel is 2*, however there are certain things (such as basic cleanliness and state of repair) that I would expect from anywhere.

First let's go over the positives;

- breakfast was very good and service in the restaurant extremely friendly

Now the negatives, please bear with me as this is quite a long list;

- my room (223) was dated and dirty, there's no nice way of putting it. On first getting into the room I noticed that there was what appeared to be toothpaste around the sink, there was a partially used bar of soap on the side (no new soap). Bed was extremely badly made with sheets not tucked in and pillows in a mess (see picture - this was as the room was when I arrived). On taking this up with hotel management their excuse was that they were aware of the issues but that the previous occupant had requested a late check out and they had not had time to clean the room (I checked in around 5pm!). I would far rather have to wait half an hour and have a clean room than to check into a room in the state that it was in, I struggle to comprehend how they could think that letting me check into that was a good idea. I now live in the knowledge that it's also very likely I slept in someone elses sheets, hence the reason the bed appeared unmade. The toilet had clearly not been cleaned as it had used toilet roll in the bowl.

- the state of repair of the room was terrible. Taps appeared not to have been cleaned in a long time and more importantly were broken. In the bathroom a number of tiles were cracked and filthy. Cupboard doors were broken and looking into some of the cupboards there was no way I could put clothes in there as they were filled with piles of sawdust (?!). Again management's response was that room 223 is one of their most popular rooms (!) and they are aware it needs refurbishment but this would take 2-4 weeks to do properly. I appreciate this but surely close the room and refurbish it or alternatively reduce the room rate for rooms that have not been refurbished. £60 per night for a tiny, filthy room that should have been taken out of service some 5 years ago is not good value.

- the room had a musty, almost urine smell to it (so bad that I had to sleep with the window wide open despite it being April). Again management confirmed that they were aware and were removing carpets from bathrooms when they refurbished. Once again no apology, just an excuse.

- On arriving at the hotel to check in I rang the bell on the counter, I waited around 10 minutes and at least 1 member of staff walked by but no-one stopped so I rang again. Eventually someone appeared to check me in, once they were there service was friendly enough but no apology for the wait.

- on checkout my bill was £20 higher than I expected as only half my deposit had been taken off. I questioned with a staff member who stated that it was right, I pushed her further and she spoke to another member of staff who also told me that the bill was correct. In the end I just settled. They have since refunded the overpayment (although it took around 3 weeks to sort!) which was due to a misunderstanding on the group booking that I was on and seemingly a loss of deposit due to a no show being arbitarily allocated to my room. I understand mistakes happen, however it's the way and the speed in which they are rectified that makes a difference.

Overall I couldn't recommend this place. I raised all the issues with management prior to submitting this review and got back a number of excuses as well as being told that they are aware of the issues. I'm afraid that doesn't really do it for me, I spent £120 on a dirty, badly maintained room and it's little comfort for management to simply acknowledge shortfalls without some noticeable action to change things.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank KentMD
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed one night in this hotel, room 206. The two cups were chipped, took them to reception for replacement. Had to return again to reception for no bath towels. Was told they would be bought to our room later. When towels arrived they were damp, with apologies that they have just come out of the tumble drier. The room needed dusting, one pillow was badly stained, needed robe thrown out. The TV did not work properly. My partner and I agreed we would not return again.
We were pleasantly surprised that the breakfast room was clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. Full marks for the dining room manageress making us feel welcome at breakfast.
It is a pity we did not receive the same treatment the night before. Still will not return!

Room Tip: Request to park your car outside the hotel. Otherwise there is an overflow car park down the road
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2014

One night only and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, clean, inexpensive and the most friendly breakfast staff I have ever encountered. Chatted to other guests and most seem to be regulars. Lucky to have found this gem

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed for 4 nights, and I slept very well. I had a twin (room 215) with en suite, it needs upgrading, carpet in shower room and some paper coming off the wall, pillows were very flat, and a very small tv.
On the plus side lovely friendly staff and very helpful.
Breakfast was excellant and plenty of it. Plenty of drinks sachets in bedrooms.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank christine b
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times before and it is consistently top marks for me. Very good value for money, friendly and helpful staff - great meals - stayed at two other hotels last week whilst on business (both 4 *), but still Durley Grange provides the best breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank TrishCriag
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

absolutely gorgeous room at a amazing price and lovely kind caring staff thank you and I would most definitely visit again also a filling breakfast in the morning we went to 8 hotels that day and we're taking a last chance and found durley grange

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends