“Excellent Hotel, Free Parking”
Review of Royal Exeter Hotel

Royal Exeter Hotel
Ranked #5 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 18 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here recently for a one night break booked with Travelzoo. The hotel and staff exceeded our expectations. The hotel is in an excellent position in the centre of Bournemouth with the added bonus of having a large car park that is free. Everywhere in the hotel is spotlessly clean with a modern decor. Our bedroom was extremely large with double aspect windows, a beautiful en suite bathroom and large comfortable bed. There is a happy hour in the cocktail bar, from 5.00pm to 7.00pm with a good selection of half priced cocktails The three course meal in the evening was excellent with good service served by very friendly staff in a lovely modern atmospheric restaurant. The breakfast in the morning was superb, with an excellent selection of everything, including freshly cooked items combined with table service from very helpful and happy staff.

Room Tip: Book with Travelzoo to get a great deal

Reviewed 14 April 2014

As with other reviewers below, we took advantage of the £69 offer, with limited expectations of what we would get for that - how wrong we were! From the warm and helpful welcome when we arrived very early on the day of our check-in, the large and well-equipped room, the great location just a few steps from the pier, to the staff in all areas of the hotel who seemed to be happy in their work and determined to spread that happiness to the guests. The dinner was truly excellent; there was a good choice of wines at reasonable prices and the food was beautifully presented and promptly delivered. All that, and a sea view from our room - a real gem of a place, we will stay again when next planning to visit Bournemouth.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

(Read on to my last paragraph to find out why I am especially grateful to Kayleigh.)

With a couple of friends, my wife and I were looking for a short break and, like other recent reviewers, discovered the Royal Exeter’s amazing £69-a-night deal for a double room with a three-course evening meal and a full breakfast.

For such a price, we were not expecting great things, but the hotel turned out to be superb. Our rooms were large, well-equipped and well-maintained. And the staff throughout the hotel were friendly and helpful and seemed to be happy in their work.

The restaurant food was delicious. Even though residents on the bargain break deal had a restricted menu, it included thoughtfully constructed dishes with some unusual ingredients, such as pickled grapes. The service was at times a little slow, but the food was always worth waiting for.

I see that one previous reviewer complains about an extra charge of £1.50 for a bread roll, but my recollection is that this charge was for an appetiser of bread with olives. And we were certainly not charged extra when we asked for bread. We were happy to pay £3.25 for the extra vegetable dishes, which were good value and more interesting than the menu descriptions implied. For example, when we ordered boulangère potatoes the dish turned out to be stuffed with duck meat (though perhaps the menu should have made that clear for the sake of vegetarians expecting a normal boulangère).

The breakfasts were also excellent, with a comprehensive cold buffet plus hot food cooked to order. The menu offered all the usual English breakfast ingredients (including black pudding), but the staff were more than happy to provide variations, as, for example, when one of my party asked for mushrooms on toast and another wanted fried bread. The menu also offered kippers or smoked haddock with an optional poached egg. My one disappointment was that my poached eggs were cooked until the yolk was no longer runny. I was impressed by the efficiency with which the staff whisked away empty plates and offered top-ups of coffee.

We ate lunch one day in the hotel’s Bar So, which offers sandwiches, burgers, etc. The prices were modest, so again our expectations were limited. But the quality of the food was exceptional and the portions were generous. We were even given a free extra portion of chips because the kitchen had cooked too many.

Despite being in the centre of town, the hotel has adequate parking (for residents only). Its central position means that the pier and beach are just a short walk in one direction and the town centre shops are minutes away in the other direction.

And now to my special praise for Kayleigh. On our first morning, I was feeling under the weather and so remained at the hotel while my wife and friends went sightseeing. Early in the afternoon I suddenly felt much worse and began shivering uncontrollably. I made my way down to the reception desk and asked Kayleigh if there was a nearby GP I could visit. While telling me that I looked too ill for a GP visit, she was already dialling 999. And when the ambulance was on its way, she even offered to accompany me to the hospital. I was rushed into A&E with a dangerously high temperature and early signs of pneumonia and then admitted to a ward. While I was there, the thoughtful hotel staff offered my wife the loan of towels, etc, to take into hospital for my use. Luckily, thanks to Kayleigh’s rapid action (plus large doses of antibiotics), the pneumonia was nipped in the bud and the hospital was willing to discharge me within 24 hours, albeit still a little wobbly. When I returned to the hotel, all the staff who were aware of the incident seemed genuinely pleased to see me back. Such a caring attitude can make a huge difference to a hotel experience, and so I thoroughly recommend the Royal Exeter.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 103, which was a good size and in a sunny position with a large bay window and the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MrAndrewHaynes
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel on a Travelzoo deal for dinner, bed and breakfast.
The rooms were clean, large and comfortable with a lovely shower and complimentary toiletries.
The dinner was amazing, although we had to choose from a separate menu in line with the deal but all food was to a very high standard although the drinks were expensive at £6.40 for a glass of wine.
The breakfast was included although we paid an extra £2 to have it delivered to our room and there was absolutely loads of croissants, pastries, toast, jam, marmalade, cereals, tea and fruit juice, far too much for us to finish.

All in all a wonderful night away at a great price in a great location.

Room Tip: Make sure you put the do not disturb sign on the outside of your door otherwise they knock your door...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stayed here 23-25 March. My wife an I had often seen this hotel from the road and wandered how it survived and then we had an opportunity to have a short stay and what a surprise. The car park is not easy to access but once in side the hotel ..what a surprise, very clean, modern, excellent bedroom large and warm with everything you need and the food was very good. Unfortunately we did not use the spa.

Great value for quality of accommodation. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Ask for room 103, large and sunny, on first floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Had to deliver something nearby so decided to stay the night. Got a very good deal that included dinner bed & breakfast. The hotel is traditional but the bedrooms have been updated and were of a good standard. The staff were young, enthusiastic and helpful. The food was good and it was just a short walk to the beach. We would definitely go back for a longer stay.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back so was very quiet. It is on a main road so there might be better.
Reviewed 3 April 2014

My wife and I have just returned home from a Travelzoo £69 bargain 24 hour stay. Nice retro hotel - well kept with friendly staff. Had a very nice room with partial sea view. Dinner in the excellent 1812 restaurant provided the new experience! The menu contained some interesting extra charges. A bread roll with the first course incurred an extra £1.50 charge. Vegetables with the main course were £3.25 each - an extra £9.75 each for the usual three vegetables! When we queried the charge we were told it was because we were on a bargain stay. These charges were not mentioned by Travelzoo when the break was booked. Breakfast was excellent - a very enjoyable stay apart from the extra charges shock

Room Tip: Higher floors would be quieter.