“Unbelievable (not in the good sense of the word)”
Review of Alex's Eatery - CLOSED

Alex's Eatery
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated in the heart of Lansdowne, we are often referred to as 'a hidden gem'. We are passionate about what we do, we offer fresh local, honest food, based on Mediterranean style diet. Alex is always happy to create dishes to meet special requirements. We also specialise in Gluten and Wheat free options and have many innovative vegetarian dishes on the menu. Eat in or take-away.
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Ordered a chicken & bacon baguette, there must have been a typo on the menu as it was in fact a chicken baguette. The waitress, who was very understanding, said she would ask the kitchen to get some bacon. Moments later, Alex (the owner), marched out with a tub of raw bacon. She was extremely rude, ranting that she puts a slice of bacon into each baguette, she carried on to explain that if there wasn't enough bacon in mine it would have been because the bacon that she cooked was fatty and therefore she removed the fat and put what was left into my baguette. I said that I fully appreciated the fact that she removed the fat but if she felt that as a result there wasn't enough bacon, she could have cooked more or purchased a better quality. To my amazement she suggested that the bacon could have fallen on the floor on route and offered to look for it, upon declining she then said she would take 10 pence off of the bill. After which I asked her to remove herself so I could continue eating my baconless baguette, I thought it unfair of her to flaunt a whole tub of bacon in front of me bearing in mind the situation. Moments later I heard Alex shouting at the waitress for offering to fulfil my order. I paid in full and left never to return.

1  Thank Mike R

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Do not be mistaken by its name. Good Food is far from what me and my 2 colleges received. The inital welcome was plesant, we ordered drinks and food as seemed to be a nice atmosphere. Our food was delievered only for one of the sandwiches to have a sliver of bacon. We pointed it out to the waitress who agreed going back into the kitchen to ask them to put some more on. To our amazement out stormed 'Alex' carrying a tub full of uncooked bacon, Alex then started shouting which put all customers on edge, claiming that 1 slice of bacon is provided for each sandwich and it isn't her fault if it becomes smaller than she orginally expected (obviously she doesn't take well to someone critisising her food). Alex then offered to remove 10p from the bill which was a complete insult seeing it was a £4 sandwich. Being business men ourselves we asked her to leave us in peace after agreeing to pay for the sandwich. Once Alex returned to the kitchen she began another argument with our waitress (who may i add was very plesant throughout) and again made everyone feel uncomfortable in her 'Restaurant'.

I believe Alex reacted in this way towards us because as its a Friday, we weren't in our usually suits + ties, she thought she could talk down to us, and be quite frankly, out right rude.

3  Thank Jonathan H
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I have been a customer at Alex's for five years now and I've seen her go from strength to strength... I've taken all my friends there over the years and many have now become loyal customers of hers too!
Her food is perfect, not pretentious or over the top, but delicious, fresh home cooked meals, and if you can't see quite what you want on the menu have a quiet word and I KNOW she will endeavour to make your meal just right for you! It's excellent value for money, which is why I find myself back there again and again be it for a quick lunchtime snack to a full evening of eating and fun!
Alex and her staff are always so welcoming, nothing is too much trouble and they go out of their way to go the extra mile regardless of how busily they are all flying round the kitchen!
However, what has prompted me to leave this review is a recent birthday party she hosted for my son, from planning to bundling us into taxis at the end of the night the evening couldn't have been better.... What can I say? PERFECT! Thank you Alex :-)

Reviewed 19 October 2013

I revisited this restaurant having tried it about a year ago. The food is better, more choices but the premise itself looks tired.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I read the great reviews and decided to drop by for lunch last week. Staff were efficient and moderately friendly, but the food was a disappointment......
Not a lot of choice but I chose the dish of the day - lamb curry. When it arrived it looked disappointing. One bowl of curry and a small bowl of boiled rice. The curry was very bland but there were some decent, tender chunks of lamb. I know this is a Portugese place and not Indian, but lunch was very bland and not much of it. Very average I would say and not exactly "special". Cost £7.95 which I thought not very good value.

1  Thank Robert B