“Rip off!!”
Review of Sharkey’s Pool

Sharkey’s Pool
Ranked #14 of 53 Nightlife in Bournemouth
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I visited sharkeys after getting a deal on live elite. The offer was 2 hours of American pool and 2 drinks for £10.
This was a bargain as I noticed that the normal hourly rate for mid week pool was around the £8 mark. However we soon discovered that this wasn't such a deal when it came to the end of the game. As we went slightly over the 2 hours (by no more than 5 minutes) we were charged £5 extra. This was a joke after only paying £10 for 2 hours and getting 2 free drinks thrown in. We had spent extra on drinks while we were in there for 2 hours and this came as a shock. Beware if you play pool here!! If you book a table for an hour, you have to hand the balls back within the hour or they slap an extortionate amount on to your bill. Plus you have to pay a £20 deposit or leave your bank card behind the bar. Something I'm not happy with as they leave this is full view of every customer who could easier grab them when the single bar staff goes out back.
The tv's are way too loud and you will struggle to enjoy a normal conversation with your mates while playing pool. ESP if the football is on (which it is most of the time).
All in all I would advise you to avoid this place and go to a proper pool hall if you are quiet few games without being ripped off/worried about going over time.

3  Thank welltravelled1979
There are newer reviews for Sharkey’s Pool

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Potato Pete: We went on a Monday evening using a Live Elite voucher, which proved to be very good value. The service was excellent, coming out from behind the bar to welcome me as I stood cluelessly in the doorway and then showing us to the table which they had reserved for our booking. We had booked for two hours which flew by quickly. The overall atmosphere was relaxed (I think that it was student night) and it was a top evening.

Dr Carrot: Even though we lost 4-3.

Pete: My fault: I potted the black on one frame by mistake.

Carrot: It might get a bit busy at the weekends, but in the week it was lively without being overcrowded.

Pete and Carrot say: "Really good fun: a top place to go."

4  Thank PotatoPeteDrCarrot
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Myself and a few friends visited Sharkeys after hearing an advert on the radio about it. Service was really good, we were greeted straight away and were shown to a pool table. Drinks were reasonably priced as was the pool. Spent a few hours here and really enjoyed ourselves. I don't know of any other pool halls so would really recommend this one.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

We visited Bournemouth for the Air Show as my husband and his father are huge plane enthusiasts (I must say I am not) and we have been to Bournemouth before, it's beautiful. We have two teenage boy's and they we getting fed up with the air show and to be honest I really do not like taking them shopping as they get very bored of doing this as well, so we went looking for something for them to do. We stumbled across Sharkeys pool bar and they really wanted to play some American pool so we went in, first thing I noticed was the stairs.....I couldn't find any disabled access so if my father in-law wanted to join us with my husband later he couldn't as the only way we could get him in was to lift him up the 15-20 odd steps to the pool hall.

Once we entered the place was empty, not even a member of staff to tell us is they were open or closed. After waiting a few minuets a funny looking man popped his head out from the cupboard and asked us if we wanted a drink (no apology for waiting) we got our drinks and started to play on a table, once again the funny little man vanished from view. After an hour of playing pool on a tabled that had drink stains and cut cloth we got another drink, at this point I noticed that the floor was sticky and looked liked it hadn't been hoovered in weeks. We got some food as we were hungry and to be honest with you I really wished we hadn't had bothered, greasy and damn right disgusting.

Please what ever you do if you visit Bournemouth for a holiday do NOT visit sharkeys. It's not customer friendly and lets the town down. It should be shut down by the local council under the health and safety act. A little dump in the middle of beautiful Bournemouth, such a shame.

7  Thank TraceyClayton
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Went into sharkeys after hearing the advert on the radio. Was excited by this place but now wouldn't go there again. Beer is flat, food was cold and my chicken was undercooked, it could have killed me and the bar service was rude and not very quick. I kept getting hasle all night about some stupid comp that I wasnt interested in at all. It seems as tho you have to be with in the IN crowd as well as there was a few guys who semed to be getting free pool and discounted drinks most of the night, one of which was about 40 and acting like a child. The big HD screen showin sport isn't that impressive and ive seen better HD on a cheap tv. The tables have cuts in the cloths and some even have drink spilt over them, the table I was using wasnt even level. Honestly this was the worst place ive ever played pool in. I was also put off by the chavs. Avoid at all cost and dont waste your money at this dive. Hell hole sums it up to be blunt.

9  Thank Richard W