“Terrible dirty dusty hotel..”

Hallmark Hotel Spa and Leisure Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy an invigorating workout in the gym or be pampered by an experienced therapist at our Health club Bournemouth. The Hallmark Spa Hotel Bournemouth has extensive facilities including: Relaxing indoor swimming pool, 2 spa pools, Sauna, Steam room, Jacuzzi, Aromatherapy cave, Relaxation lounge, 4 beauty treatment rooms, Gym area with NEW Matrix CV machines, Extensive free weights area, Full range of resistance stations, Aquafit classes every Monday 10am & Thursday 11am. FREE to members, £3 for non-members Personal training sessions available 7 days a week (from £25-35 per hour) BUY 2 SESSIONS GET 1 FREE!Spa Hotel Bournemouth Opening times: Fitness Centre 7.00 am – 9.30 pm, Open 7 days a week. Last entry 9.00 pm Health Spa 8.00 am – 7.30 pm, Open 7 days a week, Last entry 7.00 pm.
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

We arrived , so annoyed im writing this review on my last night. Checked in had to wait 20 mins for the room .Got to a room it was a double bed but the room seemed far more decent than the room we was in .the hotel is old and needs a urgent diy. PAINTING AND DUST IS EVERYWHERE. I suffer from hayfever and it was the worse whole weeknd I didn't want to touch anywhere.it was like a b and breakfast but had a spa. The spa was nice nothing perfect I would no way stay at this hotel again.there was a hoover in the middle of the floor in the hallway for 24hrs the cleaner had clearly finished her shift and it wss just left there waiting for myself sister or someone to trip over. The resturant menu is a joke the menu is boring ended up eating fries on a Saturday nite.asked for a glass of ice and was told no ice its all for a private party, I medically needed the ice no joy blonde bar worker refused.i think this hotel has alack of funds.There were about 3 complaints since we stayed their mouldy bread, flat beer at the bar and another two people thrown out hotel.hotel is in a good.This place needs to close for a year or so, revamp totally.The staff were all friendly, the guests too.the sound from the rooms are terrible aswell the banging on the floors and slamming of doors.i have so much I could write just too tiredl

1  Thank MartiniGold

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We went on a Highlife Deal day, so didn't expect a Ritzy experience. However, we expected a higher standard than this:

- no robes
- sauna not working
- all lockers in the ladies' change room were in use
- not enough chairs/lounges for all guests, so we had nowhere to sit
- pool, Jacuzzi and hot tub all cold
- aromatherapy room cold and unscented

We left 20 minutes after arriving.

2  Thank Kelly N
Reviewed 23 May 2014

For my Birthday, my Girlfriend and I decided to visit the Bournemouth Hallmark hotel to enjoy an afternoon at the Spa. Entering the hotel we were greeted with a warm welcome and directed downstairs to the Spa area.

In the 'Spa' we were met by two employees in which we enquired about using the facilities. The employees informed us that currently, the Sauna is out of order - however the 'aromatherapy Cave' is fully functional and according to her frequent visiting customers the 'aromatherapy cave' is the preferred choice over the Sauna. Disappointed but not dissuaded we decided to proceed and hand over our £30 for us both to use the facilities. I enquired about Robes however we were told they have run out and if any come available they will let us know. No big deal, so we just made do without.

On entering the Gents changing room I was greeting with a strange smell. There was a faint smell of urine. I also noticed around me the rotten wood frames and number of rusty fittings. I decided to ignore the smell and just get changed and leave as soon as possible. It was only when I checked the lockers I realised they require a £1 coin to lock my things away. However, my Girlfriend did not require and £1 coin as apparently there was no need for the Female changing room lockers. I went to the Spa reception to change a £5 note for £1 coins however they did not have any £1 coins. The nice Spa employee said she will find some for me. Almost 15 minutes later she returned with some change. she did apologies for the wait, which was nice. However at this point had already been changed and was waiting around with me. We were feeling less than positive about the experience at this very early stage.

British and persistent as we are, we decided to keep smiling and just make the most of our situation and enjoy the functioning facilities.

Once changed we decided to get started in the Steam room. No real complaints there – it was hot, comfortable and steamy. The area which produced the steam seemed to have been broken at some point – uncovering a strange rusty looking, broken vent. We ignored it, as it's wasn't much of a problem to us.

We then decided to head over to the Hot tub/Jacuzzi/Spa Pool. Before climbing in, my Girlfriend spotted something odd. The Foam was not dissipating, and on top of the foam was what can be only described as very strange looking brown sludge. My girlfriend informed the Spa reception staff and they arranged for another member of staff to drain and clean the Jacuzzi, which rendered it unusable for the duration of our visit.

Insistent on being unperturbed by this, we decided to have a little swim in the Pool. On entering the Pool, our feet were greeted by what we believed to be sand. It was a strange sensation and we decided to stay away from that area. After swimming for a few more minutes we realised that in fact there were a number of areas of the Pool floor that had indeed collected large amounts of dirt, grit and sand. Alluding to the fact the Pool had not been cleaned in a very long time indeed. It was then my Girlfriend stood on something she described as 'Something that felt like a Jellyfish'. Needless to say we removed ourselfs from the Pool immediately.

Writing this now, it feels silly to say we continued our adventure around the Hallmark spa. But I guess we were at this point intrigued to see what we might find next.

After hearing about the apparent shining recommendations of the 'Aromatherapy Cave' we decided to head over and try and relax from our ordeal. On entering it was apparent that the 'Aromatherapy Cave' was simply a dark, fairly cold, damp room. When I say damp – I don't mean steam room damp; it was more like a bathroom that lacked decent extraction. We also noted the lack of Aromatherapy.

Wikipedia terms Aromatherapy as 'a form of alternative medicine that uses volatile plant materials, known as essential oils, and other aromatic compounds for the purpose of altering a person's mind, mood, cognitive function or health.' However, the only smell that was evident was a sort of damp, feet smell. Not even the LED lights affixed the the ceiling could change our fairly disappointed and negative outlook of our 'Cave' experience.

Feeling very un-relaxed, dirty and slightly stressed we decided to go home. When I returned to the Gents changing room to shower, I wasn't surprised to find the Shower was barely functional. Offering a dribble only when (what I assumed) others (perhaps in the Ladies changing room?) were not using the water. I guess the hot water pipe is shared and only one person can use it at a time?

I always like to end on a positive if possible, so let it be noted that we did appreciate the small bags you provide in the changing rooms for wet kit. Great idea guys, specially as I forgot to bring a bag to store my swim wear.

2  Thank James W
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed at the hotel for a weekend, was really nice and we had a great weekend. The enjoyment of our stay was greatly thanks to the hotels spa and fitness centre.

It has a lovely relaxing spa pools, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room. Plus a couple other rooms to chill out and relax in. The whole spa area is made all the more relaxing by the use of delicate ambient lighting and colour changing lights in the pool. The staff are great and as helpful as possible.

The fitness centre has the gym, which is remarkably well equipped, and larger than the average hotel gym. It also has the other pool, which is a very good size. It is technically indoors, under a glass roof, with patio doors opening out onto the garden in the warmer weather. Super!

The changing rooms, were nice enough, with good facilities - the showers by the fitness pool were amazing! Both areas could do with some tlc in the changing rooms, due to a little water corrosion on some walls, but it had no impact on our enjoyment.

Loved it, will hopefully visit again.

1  Thank Lindlou6
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Me and a few friends visited this hotel at the beginning of May to celebrate one of the girls getting married. We thought this would be a lovely surprise and very relaxing as she had been stressed with the upcoming wedding. As soon as we arrived at the hotel there was instant stress. The staff were terrible! Very unhelpful! It took us over half an hour to check in, the rooms that were allocated to us were wrong! (We were supposed to have twin rooms, they gave us doubles). We had booked a massage for the bride to be but they had NO record of that. When trying to book treatments in for the bride or ourselves it was completely fully booked! We were there for two nights, 3 days. A group of girls come to a spa hotel for the weekend but can't get a single 15 or so minute treatment?!?! The shower was cold.. We ran the water for a good 20 minutes, still cold!! In the end we had to use one of the other girls rooms for a shower which was on the OTHER side of the hotel!! One of the evenings we were back by 10:30pm and we watched a film, we had a complaint that we were too loud. WHILST WATCHING A FILM?! The second day they changed the beds in our room, but left the dirty cups and didn't empty any of the bins?! On the last day my friend stood on glass! Yes GLASS! We didn't break anything which obviously means that the broken glass had been in there the whole weekend!! Last but not least when we checked out they said we had only paid for one of the rooms for two nights and the other just for one?! When this was completely incorrect! To which we absolutely refused to pay and left. Then the next day they had actually TAKEN the money out of our account without approval!!! And we had already paid for both rooms! One of my friends sent a complaint letter to the company about ALL the issues we had and is yet to STILL receive a response. We told staff about all our issues. They did not seem to care. I think it is absolutely disgusting customer service and it needs to be addressed! As you can imagine, what we thought was going to be a nice relaxing break turned out to be a nightmare!!!! Just kept going from bad to worse!!!!

DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL!!!

2  Thank Kbennett339