“very disappointing”
Review of The Good Play Cafe

The Good Play Cafe
Ranked #35 of 76 things to do in Bournemouth
More attraction details
Owner description: The Good Play Café is a friendly and bright soft play café in Southbourne, Bournemouth, designed for children 5 years and under. The Good Play Cafe welcomes under 8's to use the play frame at weekends, during school holidays and weekdays after 3pm.With a state-of-the-art four metre play frame plus padded slide into a room with play balls its a great play environment. There is a separate area for younger children equipped with toys and padded shapes. Lots of activities each week as well as the school holidays run from the 'Underwater Garden' room. Different play prices depend on childs age with babies 0-6 momths free, sibling discount applies. Public car parking three minutes walk away.
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Very disappointing I was there 2 mins and saw a ladies chair collapse from underneath her, zero room far to busy for the amount of space and table and chairs they have, parents was complaining my friends child was burnt as a member of staff put a hot tea in front of him after carrying the hot teas over my babies head! The tea was not in a pot neither did it have milk in just boiled water so only being a year old he put his hand in and then it fell on him, the staff did not want to call a ambulance but wanted us to get our car and take a screaming child to the hospital ourselves??!!! there was lots else to complain about but I would be hear all day! I shan't be going again!!

dorsetmum2boys, Public Relations Manager at The Good Play Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are a popular and busy cafe and do absolutely everything in our power to keep the children that visit us as safe as possible.
It is the first accident involving a baby that the cafe has had in the 2 yrs that we have been open - and touch wood - the last. We have a clear sign which advises that anyone can request a cup with a lid if they feel it necessary. Additionally we insist on cups with lids if anyone is walking around with a hot drink.
Whilst the staff are very responsible and mindful of small children, it is not possible for them to police the hot drinks once they have been set down on a table.
Although we did in fact call an ambulance, it was the staff's first priority to get the child medical attention as soon as possible and as this was a simple scold to the arm, the quickest way would have been in the car to our local A&E, just a couple of minutes drive from the cafe.
The ambulance crew commended the staff at the cafe for their quick and accurate first aid treatment of the child and we are pleased to know that we minimised a small scold becoming more serious.
We apologise for the disappointing experience you had at The Good Play cafe and welcome any constructive suggestions you may have to improve the safety of the cafe.
Best wishes
Harriet

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Had my son's 3rd birthday here today and it was fabulous. Staff were constantly on hand and really thoughtful (a few of us were breast feeding mums and glasses of water regularly appeared before we even asked, parents were offered drinks and the kids squash regularly) They were also very understanding and kind when the rocket birthday cake set off the smoke alarms...

We had a brilliant time and will be back again soon. Party was not stressful for us as parents, and the kids were all super happy, couldn't have asked for more!

dorsetmum2boys, Public Relations Manager at The Good Play Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us, we really appreciate it.
We understand how important a birthday cake is, so of course we didn't mind flapping the tea towels over the smoke alarms so your lovely little boy could have his fantastic sparkling rockets!

Reviewed 6 March 2014

A friendly and relaxed atmosphere with good food and coffee at reasonable prices. My two year old daughter played happily with other children and the place isn't so big that I had to watch her constantly. Well worth a visit!

Thanks for the review, the team at the Cafe were pleased to read your comments.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Because we were moving house literally on the day of my daughter's 4th birthday, we decided to pay for a private party at the Good Play Cafe. It wasn't cheap, but it was absolutely worth every penny. Everything was taken care of. While the children played on the soft play, the staff prepared the party lunch and laid it all out beautifully on the party table, with balloons tied onto the chairs. When the savoury course was over, they bought out pretty cupcakes and provided plenty of drinks. After lunch, we were invited to use the 'disco' room downstairs, where the children played party games with lights and music. Then the cake arrived - with candles - all cooked and iced by the staff. Finally, after the children had another play on the soft play, the staff provided the party bags - all filled with goodies. We didn't have to think about anything, which we really needed whilst moving house, and the best thing was that my daughter absolutely loved it. Friendly, clean, good quality and generally a lovely experience.

Thank you for taking the time to review us following your daughter's birthday party. We look forward to seeing you again soon and hope that you are on top of the unpacking!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Visited just before half term with two friends and our children. I have been here before and although a larger play cafe is more suitable for my kids I came for convenience reasons. On this visit I was disappointed for two reasons. The pasta ordered for my 6 year old son and his little friend was poor value for money, a tiny portion served in a baby dish, the sauce was straight out of a jar. Neither of our boys would touch it after their first mouthful. The second reason was the staff's attitude when my friend's daughter knocked over a steaming cappuccino. While they did clean it up they told the mother that it was her responsibility to keep her child under control. Obviously we know that but it was an accident and a little concern for the little girl would have been nice. After this statement they did, in fairness, hold her arm under cold water. I was disappointed they didn't offer to replace the cappuccino given that our group spent combined £65 during an hour and a half visit. I will not be returning.

1  Thank AdeleMK