“I support White Topps.”

White Topps Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bournemouth
White Topps Guesthouse
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I spent eight wonderful holidays at White Topps - a relaxing, happy place if you have a dog. The food was good and the area is really lovely. There is a dog-friendly beach. When I was there, the Titchens had six rescue dogs that one never sees. Marjorie, Bill and Christine do exceptional work for animals in need. Cherrie. (I stayed prior to Feb 2013 - the oldest date allowed for on this site).

Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 30 October 2013

My wife and I stayed at this B&B for one night during a short break away with our dog Max. This was our first trip away with Max and wanted to see how he would cope before we could consider going away further from home and for a longer duration. The place was very easy to find. We were warmly greeted upon arrival. The car was parked on the front garden with no drop curve so I did have to bump the car up the curb which was not great on the wheels and suspension but not a great deal of concern. There was a distant odour in the air when we walked through the door but then again, we sort of expected it being a dog friendly B&B. It was not enough to have me heading for the exit and I have a strong sense of smell. The bedroom was laid out pleasantly and no odour could be found in the bedroom. The bed sheets were fresh and the bed nice and comfortable. There was a lock on the door and we had our own room key. The location was very good. About a five minute walk from the sea front. We walked into Bournemouth city centre which took a good hour or so. Because of the timing of the year being after 30th September we were able to let the dog run free on the beach all the way to Bournemouth. The following day we took a left at the sea front and found a lovely walk past the sand dunes which lead to a nice viewing area. The breakfast was of good quality. The amount of memorabilia in the B&B amazed us, from a dog poem in the bathroom to an array of dog ornaments in glass cabinets or on shelves. Upon our exit the lady insisted on taking a photo of Max which we were only to happy to oblige. For the money we paid we were very satisfied with our stay and hope that a slight odour does not deter people from visiting this place any time in the near future.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Yes I'm afraid I can only agree with other reviewers - wish I'd seen them before going. Overwhelming smell of urine and dirty and tired. No real facilities - shower and only a really old bath I wouldn't even want to wash the dog in. Creepy place and not worth the cost. The breakfast was decent enough but by the time breakfast comes you are so freaked out at spending the night there that you just want to eat up and clear out. Yes they welcome dogs - in fact everything in the guesthouse is related to dogs - dog memorabilia of every conceivable type cover the walls, the floors and in fact every surface. But that really doesn't compensate for the lack of cleanliness. Other dog friendly places are able to keep them clean so why not this one. I suspect lack of effort plays a part ...... anyone who uses a robotic vacuum to clean a room is not putting in much effort are they? Pity because I cannot fault their obvious love of dogs.

Room Tip: Choose one in another guesthouse and you'll not go wrong
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank rollypolliesandson
flossieburger, Owner at White Topps Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Again it is not possible to tell from the username when this guest stayed. Absolutely no complaint was made either at the time or subsequently or we would have been happy to do our best to deal with it. The robot vacum cleaners are used inbetween normal vacuming and are extremely efficient - I'm amazed such equipment could be considered to show lack of effort.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Hotel stunk carpets soaked in dog urine. No lock on room door. Bathroom dirty and on another floor. No shower -bath looked so old and didn't look used . Bedding smelt and dirty. Noises at night worst nights sleep ever and extortionate cost at £43 each person ! Don't recommend at all

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Mel C
flossieburger, Owner at White Topps Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

I cannot tell from the name who this guest was and therefore when they stayed. Every guest room has a working lock and a key. In all advertising and personal contact we state we do not have any en-suite rooms and facilities are on the first floor. The bathroom is clean and serviceable. All bedding is clean and certainly does not smell. We did during July have dogs staying who had mobility and continence problems, but have an excellent carpet washer which is used frequently - but cannot guarantee there was not a slight odour left. We never discriminate against disabled dogs (or guests). I wold be interested to know what sort of noise at night is being referred to as this is an extremely quiet area. Again no complait of any kind was made, either at the time or later, or we would of course have done our best to remedy the matter.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

I had booked 3 rooms for my family and our 2 dogs to stay at this hotel for 4 nights starting last Sunday 28th July. We pulled up outside on the Sunday evening and to our dismay found it to be a very shabby house. The worst was yet to come. Inside the owner (an elderly lady) met us at the door. Once inside the whole house stank of urine! The downstairs room my daughter was shown too had 2 beds of different heights pushed together. The wardrobe was full of old clothes and there were no bathroom facilities on that floor. Upstairs our room was in bad need of decoration, had filthy carpets and very old blankets on the bed. The bathroom was shared between all the rooms in the guest house with no shower and the oldest bath I had ever seen.
The filth and the smell was so overwhelming we had to walk back out again loosing our £150 deposit. I am appalled that Bournemouth council allow such a place to trade as a B&B!
Luckily for us we found a lovely pub on Southbourne sea front the Spy Glass and Kettle that could accommodate my family and our 2 dogs in their pristinely clean rooms.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
16  Thank Debbie A

This family arrived, were shown the rooms and, we thought, had taken their dogs out for a walk. No complaint of any kind was made and they did not have the courtesy to inform us either then or later that they would not be returning. Had a complaint been made at the time we would of course have returned their deposit. The two beds in the daughters room are exactly the same height, only one was made up as the room was let as a single and the two single beds pushed together to give more space. I do not recall any clothing being left in the wadrobe. It is made clear in our advertising, and when speaking personally to guests before booking, that we do not have en-suite rooms and facilities are on the first floor. The bath is contemporary with the age of the property and in good working order. I would also refute the comments regarding a shabby property, old bedding and am astounded that being greeted by an elderly lady is considered a bad thing.