“poor, strange smell and what looks like mould on the ceiling” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Orchid Hotel

The Orchid Hotel
Ranked #8 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
London, United Kingdom
“poor, strange smell and what looks like mould on the ceiling”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

OK got stranged in bournemouth miseed my last train home. I chose this "hotel" as it looked grand and actually quite attractive. Firstly its not a hotel. Its a bed and brakfast. Had my receupt said bed and breakfast with the £64 price tag to match I would have been a bit less peaved off as they clearly state they are a hotel. They are not. You get a small dingy room with a single with that you cant sleep with. My legs hung off the edge of the bed. Freezing cold room I mean freezing they had to give me a fan heater but it took 2 hours to heat the room up/. The bathroom was even colder it was freezing honestly I went into the bathroom clothed and actually ran the water first then got undressed then got into the bath.Everything did everything warm up but really 3 hours? I didnt get any tears I thought even bed and breakfasts give you these. I dont know if we are supposed to get these so I cant comment. Everywhere i have stayed has always provided me with tea making facilities. There was a distict odd smell about the place I dunno what it was but it was throughout the whole building. The internet was free to their credit the breakfast was nice to their credit. I was not happy about the price my room was so cold I didnt get even an hours sleep and the hot water took some 15 minutrs to "get hot" this was at 2am by the way not exactly peak time. Its a lovely buildig but more attention to detail is needed.Its over priced I favour IGH book in advanced get it cheaper these hotels just seem to wanna rip you off. Dont bother. Really. You will FREEZE to death you might not wake up! Im so sorry this is a negative review but I paid £64 for a room without compliments no heating a single bed luke warm water and very slow internet. At £30 this would be fine but almost £70 NO just NO. Staff friendly and attentive. You dont get what you paid for really you dont.

Room Tip: Don't stay
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Arabic first
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

It was booked as surprise by my partner and we were both a little disappointed as the room was cold all the time and because we had a room by the courtyard we had to keep the blinds closed all the time. The hot water was a problem to start with which meant it needed to be left running for a few minutes before it could be used. Their were no draws to store clothing, just a wardrobe and the shower head sprayed all over the place. It was a lovely surprise but the room let down the occasion. It was tired and in need of an update any work that was done had not been completed to a high standard and with little thought. Breakfast was lovely both mornings but the menu for evening snacks was limiting, I hope they expand choice in the future though I don't think I will be returning.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We have just come back from one night stay. There were 10 of us all our rooms were clean the breakfast is great and the staff are really friendly. All our rooms were ready when we arrived nothing was too much trouble we had a cake for our friends 40th they gave us a knife and plates so we could enjoy it!!
The hotel is about 10 mins walk to restaurants and bars and the hotel bar is not over priced either.
The rooms could do with a little updating but they were clean and tidy that is the only bad comments to make but I am very picky!!
We will defo be back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Yeadon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

We had 1 night at the Orchid hotel and for the price we paid we were delighted, it was very clean, the room was very big and clean, the bathroom was spotless.
The receptionist was very welcoming and nothing was a problem for her, we had to leave very early the next morning as we had to make a mad dash to Portsmouth to catch the standard ferry as ours was cancelled from Poole, the receptionist said we could have a continental breakfast and the overnight porter would do this for us, we ordered it to be ready at 5.15am, when we went down he knew nothing about it, but given him his due, he quickly made us some toast and tea.
The Hotel does not do evening meals but they are not bothered if you bring food back in to eat, or you can have some delivered.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie E
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

Along Gervis Road is the orchid hotel, it has it's own car park space at the front and a much bigger one at the rear. By the front entrance is a little water fountain that makes you want to run off to the toilet! Reception is helpful, there are large TV's in the lounge, and a bar (which I didn't use). Check in time is 2pm, departure is 11 am.

About the rooms itself.

The building can be a bit like a rabbit warren, there is a lift for disabled people. The keys come with rather large keyfobs, it's £60 to replace them if they are lost! All rooms have key locks and not those card one's you find in other hotel's. The room is comfortable but rather basic, it's clean that's all that matters, no strange smells like others have mentioned. There is no bedside lamp, only the main light so I bought a torch. The bathroom comes with a shower, small block of soap and two small bottles of body wash.

Wooden blinds cover the windows, blinds are easier to clean then curtains, there's a clock in the room with red glowing dials and a phone which you can call reception etc. Theres a wardrobe with iron and ironing board inside, and a dressing table with chair. There is a heater but I think its one of them storage heaters, switched it on unless you have to fiddle with the dial it didn't work anyway. The bed was a bit firm but then that could be me as i have a disability and my bed is a bit softer, walls are a bit thin as i could hear someone next door snoring (snorting more like!). Even with my earplugs i could still hear it!

Breakfast is at 7.30-9.30, there is a menu on the table. The dining room is opposite an enclosed garden which has outside seating, when the sun shines through the glass it can be a bit warm. Breakfast consists of orange, apple, cranberry juice, milk. The usual cereals, toast etc. The waitress comes up to you and ask what you want, full English is nice but a little filling. I was completely knackered because the bed was a bit hard, heard birds singing at 3am that morning! They get confused by the streetlights being so bright, they think it's dawn poor things.

Everything tries to have an Oriental feel, placemats are wooden and there's windchimes in the back garden. Orchid hotel isn't bad it's clean that's the main thing even through the walls are a bit thin.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs, travel alarm clock and a torch.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Coventry,England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

Having been recommended the Orchid I was hoping it to be a nice B&B. Whilst it is in a good location & has free car parking I wouldn't recommend it myself & wouldn't stay there again. The decor is ok if a little tired, but there was a very musty smell to the whole building and the beds were horrendous. If you like twin beds pushed together that are incredibly hard & lumpy & pillows made from concrete, then this is the place for you! My partner is 6'2" and his feet hung over the end of the bed. Very thin duvet & useless blinds at the window. The bathroom was ok but the water pressure was poor despite us using it during 'off peak' times. Breakfast was pretty grim. The dining room is pleasant, as are the staff, but the quality of the cooked breakfast was very much below standard. A nice selection of cereal, fruit, Yoghurts etc. though. All in all a fairly disappointing stay.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Pink-Glittergirl
Cirencester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

We've enjoyed staying here a few times in the past but must say it is now rather in need of general refurbishment. If Trip Advisor had a "Good" ratings I'd have used it. Without exception the staff are very helpful and pleasant, many rooms are on the small side, "superior" rooms are of reasonable size but this is really the only feature making them "superior". There were no issues at all of cleanliness or general facilities but don't expect luxury just pretty good value for money. The theme of the hotel's decor and furnishings is Asian which is fine but may not be to everyone's taste. The public rooms are simple with a pleasant bar and seating areas. Once the weather improves the outside courtyard with seating will be a very nice place to have a drink. The restaurant only serves breakfast which is a good but fairly typical hot and cold buffet. Free WiFi was welcome but found to be somewhat slow albeit this is probably not the hotel's fault. Free parking is provided for hotel guests and also their visitors if made by arrangement with the front desk, this is not always the case in Bournemouth. The location is good being within walking distance of the town's attractions but be warned of a bit of a hill on your return. By all means use this hotel especially if booking with an "offer" or "event" price.

Room Tip: If you want space, book a superior room.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple