“Nice stopover”

Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Whitley Bay, England
“Nice stopover”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Only stayed one night passing through and for the price we paid £39 B&B per room could not fault it. Hotel in good location for both shops and seafront. Rooms were basic but clean, although could have done with a couple of glasses in room drinking wine out of mugs not very nice.
Breakfast was very nice and plenty to fill you for the onward journey.
This was our first visit to Bournemouth and we both liked what we saw so hope to return someday,
and would not hesitate to stay at the Orchid again

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tiler75

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Arabic first
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Stayed at the orchid hotel with my wife in May for a single night before an early fishing trip the next day. Staff were friendly on arrival, place was clean and tidy and a nice fry up the next day. Not bad for £35

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Rob P
essex uk
Reviewed 6 July 2013

A lovely little find. My daughter and I had a fantastic stay at The Orchid. Friendly staff, comfortable clean room, fresh towels and bedding, finished off with a scrumptious tasty breakfast. Great location, central for town centre and beach. Will go there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank copperfield123
Portishead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We got our keys at 1.pm. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. The room was basic but we were happy in there for one night stay. It was very quiet. But at 12am someone went into the room above us. So could hear creek creek bang and talking. But once they settled down. heard no noise at all. The breakfast you can help your self to cereals etc. Or a cooked breakfast which we enjoyed. The beach is only 5min walk around the corner. so we can really say for our one night we were happy.There is plenty of car places in the hotel grounds. If you want to pay cheaper. book on laterooms.com

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank smilesheila
London
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Saw the hotel on the web site and it looked lovely as did the bedroom shown so booked it for one night. Arrived and indeed the hotel appeared to be quite nicely kept with a lovely garden and in a quiet position within easy reach of the zigzag path down the cliffs to the beach and a quite short stroll to the town centre itself. car parking was in front of the hotel. We were given a room which overlooks the garden, so was lovely and quiet as far any anything can be so close to the sea with all the sea gulls making a racket. The room was very basic and not at all decorated in the supposed style of the hotel but did have a very large comfy bed. The TV had no remote but could be used with the buttons on top. The bathroom had soap etc but very small bath towels and no heated towel rail. The shower head fitted to the wall over the bath refused to stay in one position so you had to hold it to get the water to your body instead of the glass screen, which was glued to the side of the bath so that you could not turn on the taps without climbing into the bath which was very unsatisfactory. The windows had slatted blinds which failed to keep the light out so make sure you take an eye mask if going or be prepared to sleep in semi light. Unfortunately the weather for July was lousy and not the hotel's fault but was about 50degrees and cold and the room felt damp Having had the window wide open before we arrived. Although the duvet was enough for me , my wife who is not in the best of health felt cold and I had to ask for a blanket which they provided. They did in fact offered us a heater as the hotel heating appeared to be turned off for the summer.
The breakfast next morning was full English or continental ( either was included) and they had Soya milk for me which I phoned and requested earlier to arriving. Porridge great, scrambled egg fine, bacon obviously held under a hot lamp and not freshly cooked for me. The fruit salad was sad with lack of tropical fruit and the croissant was inedible and tasted stale (I suggest they go to Tesco and buy their fresh baked ones). They had tea and coffee but no hot chocolate, they did have various fruit juices. The gazebos in the garden when you looked closer looked worn and a little mildewed.
I am possibly being a little critical on this hotel especially as the B&B rate was reasonable, but I was looking forward to what I saw on the Internet which is not what I encountered. I am a retired person and there was no one to take my suitcase up the stairs (there is no lift) to the bedroom which I found very difficult and a great strain.
The restaurant staff were delightful and the receptionists helpful which is why I have marked service as being good, otherwise I would consider it average.

Room Tip: Ask to Look at several rooms before choosing one. I don't believe that any room will be noisy
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I stayed at the Orchid hotel with my partner for two nights in June. The hotel is a bit tired looking in terms of the carpet and sofas around the recption / hallways etc looking washed out and worn, but generally it's quite nice and the theme runs through in all of the accessories. It's not a very modern hotel, but it has some character.

We booked a superior double room so were very disapointed to find that the bed was two singles pushed together and also they were horribly cheap and lumpy old matresses. The one on my side was so lumpy and hard that I woke up with a bad back the next day. The bathroom was small and everything seemed very low down (I'm only 5"2), but it was fine for what we needed and clean. Getting ready was slightly difficult as the table / chair / mirror was positioned away from the window and with no lamp, so it was hard to see what you were doing and there was no plug socket near enough to plug in a hairdryer - I had to plug this in over by the door instead. The room had a kettle and tea / coffee making bits we didn't use and a teeny mini fridge which you can hardly fit anything in, and it didn't really get very cold. The room key is massive - I think the idea is you hand it in to Reception when you're not using it, but I didn't find that secure or convenient. Saying that the room doors have a basic old fashioned key lock so could probably be easily broken into anyway, but we had no security issues during our stay.

The hotel promotes their social media channels on a big screen in the reception area, so I tweeted them about the disappointing bed situation, but they didn't reply. I could have asked at Reception to move rooms, but as we only had one more night, and also as I knew there was only one other superior room in the hotel which was likely already taken, I decided not to bother.

On the second night there was a lot of noise coming from the bar at nearly 1am and someone banged on our wall and shouted - I think they thought we were making the noise! It was a group of men being raucous. I waited it out for a bit but it continued so I phoned reception on my mobile and asked them to sort it out, which they did. It annoyed me a bit to have to call and ask - the reception area is practically in the bar, so they must have been aware of how noisy it was and that guests in the bedrooms above would be disturbed by it, so they could have controlled it before it woke people up.

Other than the raucous behaviour at 1am, generally I'd say the bar area was usually deserted except for a few regular older gentlemen who seemed permanently attatched to it during the day.

We ate in the hotel for the included breakfast which was very nice. Our first breakfast was a Friday morning. You could go up and help yourself to croissants, cereal, basic fruit and juice and waitresses would take your order for a cooked breakfast, tea / coffee and fresh toast. This was really nice and I can't fault it. On the Saturday it was the same again except the cooked breakfast was served buffet style. Sometimes there was quite a wait for the food to be refreshed and they ran out of clean plates. The waitresses were nice and friendly.

The hotel offers free parking and we were always able to get a space around the back.

The beaches at Bournemouth and especially Sandbanks down the road in Poole are amazing. I didn't realise we had such lovely beaches in the UK. We were lucky with sunny weather and enjoyed being on the beach, wandering around the town and gardens and eating out. If the weather had been bad I think we'd have had a pretty boring stay! The hotel is well positioned for easily walking to the high-street, seafront and pier, cinema, St Peter's Quarter, gardens etc.

The receptionists could do with being a little more cheerful / welcoming. On arrival I can't really say we were warmly welcomed, just plainly talked through the basic details. When we left a different receptionist (tall, dark mid-length hair, cold and clinical type) didn't even make eye contact with me whilst she asked for my money and didn't bother to ask me how my stay was / if I'd enjoyed it etc. She didn't bother with any pleasantaries at all. If she had asked, I would have told her about the lumpy bed, but as she couldn't be bothered / couldn't care less, I thought I'd write this review.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights, it was nicely decorated in the downstairs communal areas. We had a double room which was incredibly small and was not suitable for 2 people. I had to squeeze through a small gap between the bed and dressing table. There were no storage space except a small wardrobe. I've had a look through the pictures and the room we stayed in was not featured. It was incredible warm in the room, with no a.c it was unbearable and was difficult to relax when getting dressed. The shower was hard to use. We also noticed when departing and making sure we had collected all of our possessions that under the bed was incredibly dirty and that there was a false eyelash on the carpet (which wasn't ours) which must have been there at least 3 days or more possibly, when considering the room was so small it makes me wonder how it could have been missed. The staff were helpful and accommodating which was lovely but overall it was an average hotel. The location was excellent with a 5 minute walk (if that long)to the beach. The hotel have said they are refurbishing in the near future which will hopefully make improvements, but more than likely when I returned to Bournemouth I would stay in a different hotel.

• Stayed June 2013