“Did what it said on the tin”
Review of The Orchid Hotel

The Orchid Hotel
Ranked #2 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Clean and tidy, reception lovely,friendly helpful staff, good location near too shops and beach. Nice size room but bathroom poorly designed ( had to side saddle too sit on the loo and I'm only 5ft 2").

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank 1974kemp

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Arrived on monday to stay for 4 nights, the outside of the hotel looked nice with plenty of parking.The double room was smaller than we expected but not a problem, everything worked in the room that should of but last 2days no wifi signal. Bathroom was clean with a good shower and bath. Decor was fine but could do with repaintin on walls as some had marks n scuffs on, and carpet a little dated.Staff were all friendly, good breakfast every day, good location for beach n nitelife..good choice for a mini break, well worth what we paid and will return with friends at somepoint!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank modfather40
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We booked a hotel for our birthday celebration for the price of 49 pounds including breakfast. We were very happy. Everything was perfect. Staff very friendly, room good size, very clean and quiet. Location very good we could easily walk to the city center and beach. Our bed was very comfortable. We really loved the outside space. We enjoyed breakfast with a good choice of hot and cold dishes. Overall very happy about choosing the Orchid Hotel. I must say next time in Bournemouth we definitely will choose the Orchid again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anna J
Reviewed 7 August 2013

The price had been displayed as a special offer of a reduction from £120 to £49 (mid-week). At £120 I would have been disappointed but at £49 I was very happy. The price was right. The breakfasts were excellent. The position with regards to beach and town centre were excellent. The first room we were given was smallish and the kettle socket didn't work and the bath panel was all broken. The odd-job man had gone back to Poland for a funeral so we were "upgraded" to another, larger, room, which was fine. Unfortunately the floor boards creaked terribly, thank goodness there wasn't another bedroom underneath us or I don't know what they thought we were doing! The hotel is a converted house with all of the peculiarities of an old house. Sash windows difficult to open and close and squeaky floorboards. The main furniture is a wardrobe with no shelves in it bar a couple under the TV. The two armchairs had seen better days and it was tired and time for a makeover. No where to put your suitcase off the floor as you have to use it as storage but that is common in many hotels. That said, for the price we were quite happy with the accommodation and would go again (at that price).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We were booked into this hotel after finding out that I couldn't get into The Ocean View hotel in my wheelchair.
We had returned to the hotel after finding that we couldn't get in to the presentation by Glenleigh a holiday sales company.
We drove into the car park after a young lady in a mercedes,she parked in the only disabled space, ignoring the space to her side which she would have had to turn into. She then jumped out of the car and skipped into the hotel.
We parked in the space she missed, which meant that no one could get through the car park as my mobility vehicle is a big van which also needs 8 ft of space behind it to get my wheelchair out.
My husband had picked the keys up earlier but hadn't had time to look at the room. There was a ramp in through the front door then off we went to find the room. The way my husband thought it was I couldn't get the chair through, so we went to reception where give her her due the receptionist picked up 3sets of keys as she wasn't sure which room would be best for us.
None of them were I couldn't manage to get into any of them in fact my husband, who after nearly 20 years of dealing with wheelchairs has a very good idea of what will fit through any space, said you would have difficulty getting in there with a big suitcase.
The receptionist was very sorry but it was not really her fault.
I had noticed signs in reception for toilets so asked if I could use their facilities. Yes no problem I will get the ramp, which was fine it got me up the step but then I couldn't get my chair in the loo.
Why are places able to say they are disabled friendly when they obviously are not.
At the end of the day I felt awful and that I was just trying to be awkward. I was even asked by a female at the sales company if I was that disabled how did I get in a car. My reply was I didn't I have a big van with a lift. And Iknow there are some strange people out there but I have not yet heard of someone paying out thousands of pounds for an electric wheelchair. And then padding it all over with lambs wool just for a laugh or to ruin someone's day

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jansy56
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and I was very impressed the hotel was easy to find from the train station and the rooms were lovely. The bed in a standard room was huge and very comfortable. Unfortunately we didn't get up for breakfast as was served between 7.30-9am but the hotel menu did look nice. The location is so close to Bournemouth centre too.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Clairemon
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Only stayed one night passing through and for the price we paid £39 B&B per room could not fault it. Hotel in good location for both shops and seafront. Rooms were basic but clean, although could have done with a couple of glasses in room drinking wine out of mugs not very nice.
Breakfast was very nice and plenty to fill you for the onward journey.
This was our first visit to Bournemouth and we both liked what we saw so hope to return someday,
and would not hesitate to stay at the Orchid again

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple