“Very good”

The Orchid Hotel
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
“Very good”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Having read reviews on here I wasn't sure what to expect, but to be honest was pleasantly surprised. Yes some of the hotel is a bit dated, but the room we had, 306, was lovely, out of the way as right at the top, nice and clean with a separate dressing area and clean bathroom. There is a lot of work going on to improve things. Staff were all nice and breakfast was very good, the best scrambled eggs and salmon ive had in a long time! Lots of choice also. Paid £65, which for the height of season and included breakfast and parking I thought was excellent value. On a picky point, I would just say I think the carpets in the corridors could do with a good clean as smelt very musty, but im sure with the works going on this will probably be done. All in all I would say a very pleasant stay and would stay again

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Arabic first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I booked this hotel through booking.com and we got a reasonable price of £209.95 for three nights inclusive of Bed and Breakfast. There are usually 3 criteria that I look for in a hotel, a) a reasonable rate, b) free car parking and c) free WIFI accessible in the room. a) And b) were fine but the WIFI could not be accessed once in the room, only in the ground floor areas. I do feel that the free WIFI should not be advertised as being available in the bedrooms both on the hotel’s website and on booking.com as this is not true and I ended up with extra costs on my mobile phone bill.
I don’t really think that the hotel lives up to the website hype as this hotel cannot be described as a chic, boutique hotel, also the warm welcome advertised on the hotel website did not seem to be available when we checked in, as it took at least 5 minutes for one of the four receptionists at the desk to acknowledge us. Manners cost nothing and this would have gone a long way to making us feel welcome and valued as a customer.
I was apprehensive about our hotel stay as some of the reviews on here were not very good, however I was pleasantly surprised at the room as it was clean, spacious, pleasantly decorated and there were plenty of coat hangers in the wardrobe. The corridors and stairs were a bit tatty but then I wasn’t planning on spending my three nights on the stairs  The hot water was in plentiful supply unlike in some of the other reviews.
Breakfast was very good on the first morning, I had the Full English Breakfast and my partner had Smoked Salmon and Scrambled Eggs on an English muffin. There was a varied selection of pastries, yoghurts, fresh fruit, fruit juices and cereals. The toast portion was a bit stingy with just one round each.
We left our room to go out at about 10am and got back to the hotel at 1530 to find that our room still hadn’t been cleaned and as we were a stay this wouldn’t have taken long to service. We put the “Do not Disturb” sign on the door as we had been kept awake the night previously by a hotel in the vicinity’s loud music until midnight. This was not the Orchids music but a nearby hotel.
Breakfast on the second morning was again a varied selection on offer. This time I ordered Poached Eggs on Toast with Bacon, my partner ordered the Continental selection of meats, cheese and tomato. When the breakfast was brought, mine was actually Poached Eggs on Toast with Ham which I pointed out to the Waitress and my partner’s was an Omelette. They offered to change the Ham for Bacon but I declined. It was when they took the Omelette away and I had started to eat that we realised that I must have been given someone else’s breakfast so I should imagine the other couple were not very amused. One and a half rounds of toast each this morning.
Breakfast on our last morning, again there was a varied selection, this time we both ordered the Continental selection of meats, cheese and tomato. One addition which I feel would enhance this would be some bread rolls to go with the ham and cheese. Only one round of toast each this time.
Overall I think that with a couple of changes this hotel could obtain better reviews, the streamlining of the breakfast service and to make it more consistent and with maybe a booster for the WIFI. The lack of WIFI in the bedrooms would be the one thing that would prevent me from returning to the hotel. I feel that this hotel does not live up to the Owners Vision as stated on their website. When we handed in our key upon departure there was no “ have you enjoyed your stay” or “ have a good journey”.

1 Thank cheltenhamgal1
Reviewed 19 August 2014

It has been said that the camera never lies. Well orchid have proved that wrong if their pictures on the website are to be believed. On arrival, we were slightly worried by rooms full of builders and decorators visible from reception. however, we were told on checking in that we would not be staying at the orchid but at the Orchid Garden across the road.What a relief! an upgrade! And then we saw the Orchid Garden.
This hotel could easily be mistaken for a derelict building at first glance. The receptionist was pleasant enough, explaining that we could have help with our bags (which we declined) as the lift was not working ( we were on second floor).
The room had been recently decorated on the cheap but, to be fair, passed the 'pube test'. Bathroom was clean , as were sheets and mattress protector.
Luckily for us, this was not a romantic break, otherwise the double bed we had booked, which turned out to be two singles pushed together and held only by the double sheet, could have resulted in serious injury. We are easily pleased people who adapt to situations. So, as you are asleep in the room most of the time, what difference does it make?No point complaining.
Then came breakfast. The breakfast room was the most depressing environment in which we have eaten. We had peeked inside the previous evening and had spotted felt-topped tables, by morning these had had un-ironed cloths placed on top....and nothing else. The continental breakfast (on booking I had been informed this was full English) turned out to be 2 packs of sliced bread (one whit, one brown ), a do-it-yourself toaster that didn't actually do anything the first time but which could have been rented to an over-subscribed crematorium the second time, juices and a couple of plates of dry, curled cooked meats. The atmosphere was dire- we were unusually pleased that someone's child started squawking (or was that me inside my head?) as it gave the place some life. Relinquishing the key, the receptionist did not enquire whether we had enjoyed our stay- presumably she has used that line before and paid the price. We were only staying in Bournemouth as our daughter was at Swanage youth hostel for a Dukr of Edinburgh award activity- by all accounts, her accommodation and catering was far superior to ours.
Hotels should not be able to con guests into booking through the use of out-dated or mis-leading photographs. Give this hotel a wide berth- unless , of course, you are ' the restoration man' looking for new content for your programme.

Room Tip: Refuse to be moved to the Orchid Garden...or better still, go to Travelodge
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I visited this hotel around 6 years ago and was impressed with the hotel, staff and it's family room.
However returning 6 years later with my new partner on our very first weekend away was a different story
Suppose to be 3* but I wouldn't give it a 2* rating.
Car park was packed on arrival so we just managed to park at the rear of the hotel where we had to pass a load of " dumped" items outside the laundry room underneath the fire stairs. The outside needs a desperate luck of paint and the outside window seals were flaking off and in those 6 years I don't think they had seen a paint brush
We checked in and was shown our room 202 which you could swing a cat in. I was very disappointed and promptly asked if we would be moved to a larger room where if necessary I would pay extra for
The receptionist was accommodating and we were escorted to the very rear of the hotel overlooking the garden gazebo area but sadly couldn't see out due to the overgrown trees & bushes. The room was very musky so we opened a window. The latch had been broken and the inside of the windows needed cleaning badly.
The room was ok but in need of a paint. Lots of scuff marks on the walls.
We woke up the next day after a bad night and a very stiff neck!! The bed was hard and very uncomfortable and the room felt cold being at the back of the hotel. I found a small heater to put on to warm up the room but all I could smell was burning dust.
We went to breakfast on our first morning and was shown to a table. We waited and waited and waited for a waitress to take our order but it seemed they were extremely busy. They had two waitresses on but clearly needed more. Eventually she took our order after I caught her attention and made a face when she asked if we had ordered. I replied no one has seen us as we have been here twenty mins. She did apologise and said they were short staffed! The breakfast was very nice all bar the tinned mushrooms. Fresh would have been nicer. The table and chairs had seen better days and were stained and in need of a clean
The tea pots were stained and needed to be bleached and on the whole, our experience was one of disappointment. It appears that the hotel has been left to rot and in diar need of a renovation inside & out.
Such a shame as the location was fabulous but let down by the shoddy neglect of the gardens and maintenance. I would not recommend this hotel & definitely wouldn't go again
Eastern European girls working in every aspect of the hotel. Very few words spoken or understood it seemed by the waitresses who replied fish??? When I asked for smoked salmon & scrambled eggs for breakfast!! Yes FISH! In England we have this
One hotel to be avoided

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Kent
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I booked a night in this hotel under the impression that I was going to be staying in a boutique hotel with a full English breakfast as described on the website. On arrival we were told that we would be staying at the annexe across the road. That would not have been a problem - until I discovered that there was no kitchen and only continental breakfast - unless I wanted to pay a supplement on top of the £109 cost of the room!
The annexe was a "work in progress". It was a good job we did not have a heavy bag as the lift was out of action. Our room had obviously been recently decorated, but no attention to detail. My bedside light did not work, the bathroom door stuck if you shut it (I had to be rescued by my husband) and the curtains did not fully cover the windows. This was unpleasant as our room looked over the adjoining hotel where a function was happening so getting ready for bed had to be done with the lights off! There was no duvet - just a sheet and bedcover which was just about acceptable warmth wise.
There was plenty of tea and coffee, but no soap in the minute bathroom - the receptionist was very helpful when I went to complain, saying that there was a new housekeeper who wasn't up to speed yet!
The continental breakfast was dire - cheap sliced bread, a poorly functioning toaster, jam and Marmite, but no marmalade and a coffee machine which overfilled the cups with cheap tasting coffee. There was a choice of cereals and fruit juices, but none of the yoghurt, fruit and bakery goods which I would normally expect in a decent hotel. The breakfasts in the boarding school in which I teach are far superior to this poor fare.
I have stayed in a rock- bottom budget hotel in Poland which had similar problems with the room, so I am not over- fussy. But on that occasion I was charged £5 per night - not an extortionate £109 for services I did not receive. Caveat emptor!

Room Tip: Don't stay in the annexe!
Reviewed 16 August 2014

we stayed for 4 nights and after reviews on this site were a little worried as what to expect, but as an excellent English breakfast and comfortable sleep was promised we were optimistic. We were send to annex across the road to room 210 after being informed we were only having a continental breakfast. We were slightly more worried now. The room it has to be said was of a decent size if a little bland in decor. The first problem we encountered was only one double plug to charge two mobiles, camera, run a tv and kettle...a lot of swapping around in the night needed. Unluckily for us sleep was never going to be a problem on the mattress we had. The first night was rough as the bed had more springs poking through than not. we complained on second night and were informed that they were due to be changed and would be done so that afternoon. After a day on the beach we were all very sandy and need baths. Next problem. No hot water. Had to have cold baths, my 5 year old hated this. Bed Still not changed. Day 3 water and baths yeah. Things were looking up. Day 4 finally get mattress for last nights sleep but water was again cold. Folding bed was broken in arrival although we didnt need to use it. The breakfast did not live up to my expectations for a continental breakfast. No fresh fruit, yogurt, rolls or coisants. All there was was some dodgy looking ham and a tray of sausage, tea coffee juice cereal and toast. The toasters were rubbish. One took and age to toast and caused queues and the other just cremated the bread. The trouble shooting / night porter who we complained to was about as much use as a chocolate teapot and after complained to the main hotel we were finally given our fourth night free. Fair play to the hotel for this. Dont know what the main hotel was like. It seemed nice from our experience at check in/ out. This is a review for annex across the road only.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank chelseabrad
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This is the worst place in Bournemouth, Avoid At All Cost !, staff are rude and especially the manager so call business relation need seriously go back to school to learn the basic of how to treat customers nicerly.

It start when i made a booking in the morning of the 5th August '14 ask if they could text me the full address with post code, they said they can't because they don't have this kind of facility, i said don't any of your staff have a mobile phone they could do it, in a rude tone they will not do this, so i said forget it i do not wish to go ahead with the booking. But later in the afternoon when i got there with my wife and a 3 yrs old child, i said to them that i wish to view the room before taking it, the manager said if you don't take it after viewing then there will be a charge for cancellation, i said you did not mention this when i booked it over the phone this morning, she started to get rude "So Who Cares" you should have giving us a 48 hours cancellation, but i said i only booked this in the morning over the phone and have not received your T&C nor was this mention when we made the booking. She said this is our policy "Take Or Leave It", so we argue over 1/2 before we had to call the police to settle this issue, the police said do you wish to take the room i said not after all this and how they treat me and my wife in front of a 3 yrs old child, who by now starting to cry !, The police said i could leave as thy cannot inforce it if they did not mention this in the agreedment or over the phone.

If you are looking for a hotel in Bournemouth STAY WELL AWAY FROM THIS ONE !!!!

Room Tip: Stay away & be warn bad service !.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family