“Bates motel”

Ranked #6 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Bates motel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

Omg cant believe paid £75 a night for this the room is basic it smells funny the bathroom is as small as the wardrobe. Bare wires poking out the wall....was supposed to be staying here 2 nights i dont think so... never again. Ruined our weekend

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank juliette c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Arabic first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Just back from a second stay at the Orchid Hotel this year we took our best friendswith us this time, the things that we all agreed on after our 5 day stay are that the decor in some parts of the hotel is urgently in need of a fresh coat of paint, there is a need for more shelves and drawers in the bedrooms, some of the staff could do with being a little more friendly and maybe smile once in a while. Put these issues to one side the rooms are big enough, the water was hot, wifi worked, and breakfast had a good choice to choose from, a great little hotel with parking in a great position, i just hope they read these reviews and work on the negatives that customers are writing here as the hotel does have so much potential to be so much better.

• Stayed August 2014
Penzance, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

my wife and I booked to stay at the sister hotel the orchid gardens for a mini break in august,unlike some previous reviews we knew the orchid gardens was our named accommodation,on arrival we checked in to the orchid hotel to be shown to the orchid gardens right opposite,on first impressions the hotel looked like a work in progress,we had to wait for our room to be prepared so had a 20 mins wait in the lounge area,we were then shown to our room,it was a bit of a maze to get to the room,number 213,you may want to remember this number,the room was very basic but clean,a double bed with a bedside table on either side,a brand new flat screen tv and a double wardrobe,there was no seating which was a shame as we find a chair/s in a bedroom are vital as you don't want to sit on the bed all the time,also a few finishing touches would be good like a full length mirror,again a vital tool for a woman getting ready on a night out,the bathroom was massive,to be honest with you it was too big ,a lot of wasted space ,I would myself partitioned half the bathroom off and have had a bigger bedroom with an extra window for more natural light,we found the staff to be very polite and always had a smile on their faces,a lot of people are complaining about the continental breakfast,we had as much tea or coffee you could drink,a good choice of cereals,as much toast as you wanted with a small selection of cold meats and cheeses,we only paid £33 for the room per night so feel we cant complain too much,we found everything to our satisfaction

Room Tip: room 213 has a small window which makes the room very dark
North Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

It seems to be pot luck whether you are allocated a room in the Orchid Hotel or the Orchid Garden and there is a huge difference between the two. We originally went to the reception in the Orchid Hotel and were delighted by the spa hotel look of the place. However, we were told that our room was on the other side of the road in the Orchid Garden which was a very different story. Yes, there was building work going on but that which had been done was of very poor quality. Talk about painting over the cracks!

Everything had been recently painted with a coat of emulsion, including woodwork, but incredibly badly, leaving paint on carpets and light fittings. A socket on one landing had its cover removed and the bare wires simply taped up. The fire doors on the stairs had their edge strips painted over, rendering them useless but since they were regularly wedged open all the way up the stairs that was fairly irrelevant. At least one of them wouldn't close properly anyway when we removed the wedges.

The family room we were in was directly opposite the function room of the next door hotel and the single-glazed window did nothing to keep out the noise on a hot night when the function room doors and windows were all open. The hot tap dripped in the basin, which was inside the room itself, the bathroom being only big enough to squeeze in the toilet and shower. From the staining on the basin it was clear the drip had been there for a considerable length of time. The mattresses were old and uncomfortable and the newish-looking carpet had been put down despite there being a sizeable piece of floorboard being missing near the radiator! My husband stepped in it a couple of times when he'd forgotten about it and suddenly found his foot sinking unexpectedly.

Breakfast was described as "full continental" but consisted only of a variety of salami, individually packaged pieces of processed cheese which tasted plasticky, sliced bread to toast (if you could get the toaster to work - usually it took three goes to make anything like toast causing long queues to form), juice and cereal. There was also coffee but the machine didn't work two of the days we were there, giving only hot water instead.

Overall the hotel was reasonably clean and the staff seemed to be doing their best but we ended up getting a beach hut for the week to keep us out of the room for as much of the day as possible. We got a good rate on the hotel and, had it been sold as a budget hotel really wouldn't have minded but the description it gives of itself for a large majority of its guests is simply a lie.

Room Tip: Make sure you're in The Orchid Hotel, NOT The Orchid Gardens.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Eila M
Hertfordshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

The hotel we normally like to stay at when visiting Bournemouth was unfortuntely full. I thought I had done my homework when deciding to book this hotel, but obviously not. I was under the impression this was a "Boutique Hotel" and the pictures of the rooms, bar and restaurant etc looked fine. We decided to book a superior room just to be on the safeside too. Unfortunately we were disappointed as our "superior" room (116) was directly above the main entrance at the front of hotel and there is no double glazing. So not only did we get the noise of the traffic but also everyone coming and going. Not only that, people stood outside the main entrance smoking and we frequently smelt that in our room too. The room was a generous size but the decor was shabby, the minifridge kept me awake, the light fittings hadn't seen a duster in some time and the towels smelt of chemicals.Oh yes, and the shower was merely a trickle fed from a very old fashioned attachment from the bath.
The other thing I found annoying was the fact that I could quite clearly hear the conversation in the next bedroom/bathroom. When paying for a Superior room I would have expected a far better room than this one. If this was "superior" I don't like to think what a standard room is like. On a positive note the bed was clean and comfortable.
As for breakfast, well they need to get either more organised or take on more staff. The first morning there were only two waitresses and we had to wait almost half an hour before our order was taken. Consequently a queue quickly built up of those waiting for tables. The second morning there were 4 waiting staff and our breakfast was served quite quickly. Unfortunately the breakfast was rather bland and in my opinion not really sufficient for the men. Luckily my husband isn't a great eater but the full english breakfast wouldn't have been sufficient for sons. I also observed that items like the fresh fruit and pastries we on trays with absolutely no covering over them. I also noticed a waitress, when cleaning away plates etc for the next guests to have breakfast, merely wiping the surface of the table that didn't have anything left on it - no attempt was made to remove the salt/pepper, table number holder or jam/marmalade holder to wipe the entire table. Not very good health and safety practice at all.
I would personally prefer to pay the extra £40-60 per room per night for a hotel that I know has excellent in-room facilities, cleanliness, good customer service and excellent food.
I most definately couldn't have stayed in this hotel for more than a couple of nights. It's such a shame as it could be a really nice hotel as it's location is excellent for the town centre, BIC, beach etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road, maybe you'll have better luck than we did.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Having read reviews on here I wasn't sure what to expect, but to be honest was pleasantly surprised. Yes some of the hotel is a bit dated, but the room we had, 306, was lovely, out of the way as right at the top, nice and clean with a separate dressing area and clean bathroom. There is a lot of work going on to improve things. Staff were all nice and breakfast was very good, the best scrambled eggs and salmon ive had in a long time! Lots of choice also. Paid £65, which for the height of season and included breakfast and parking I thought was excellent value. On a picky point, I would just say I think the carpets in the corridors could do with a good clean as smelt very musty, but im sure with the works going on this will probably be done. All in all I would say a very pleasant stay and would stay again

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I booked this hotel through booking.com and we got a reasonable price of £209.95 for three nights inclusive of Bed and Breakfast. There are usually 3 criteria that I look for in a hotel, a) a reasonable rate, b) free car parking and c) free WIFI accessible in the room. a) And b) were fine but the WIFI could not be accessed once in the room, only in the ground floor areas. I do feel that the free WIFI should not be advertised as being available in the bedrooms both on the hotel’s website and on booking.com as this is not true and I ended up with extra costs on my mobile phone bill.
I don’t really think that the hotel lives up to the website hype as this hotel cannot be described as a chic, boutique hotel, also the warm welcome advertised on the hotel website did not seem to be available when we checked in, as it took at least 5 minutes for one of the four receptionists at the desk to acknowledge us. Manners cost nothing and this would have gone a long way to making us feel welcome and valued as a customer.
I was apprehensive about our hotel stay as some of the reviews on here were not very good, however I was pleasantly surprised at the room as it was clean, spacious, pleasantly decorated and there were plenty of coat hangers in the wardrobe. The corridors and stairs were a bit tatty but then I wasn’t planning on spending my three nights on the stairs  The hot water was in plentiful supply unlike in some of the other reviews.
Breakfast was very good on the first morning, I had the Full English Breakfast and my partner had Smoked Salmon and Scrambled Eggs on an English muffin. There was a varied selection of pastries, yoghurts, fresh fruit, fruit juices and cereals. The toast portion was a bit stingy with just one round each.
We left our room to go out at about 10am and got back to the hotel at 1530 to find that our room still hadn’t been cleaned and as we were a stay this wouldn’t have taken long to service. We put the “Do not Disturb” sign on the door as we had been kept awake the night previously by a hotel in the vicinity’s loud music until midnight. This was not the Orchids music but a nearby hotel.
Breakfast on the second morning was again a varied selection on offer. This time I ordered Poached Eggs on Toast with Bacon, my partner ordered the Continental selection of meats, cheese and tomato. When the breakfast was brought, mine was actually Poached Eggs on Toast with Ham which I pointed out to the Waitress and my partner’s was an Omelette. They offered to change the Ham for Bacon but I declined. It was when they took the Omelette away and I had started to eat that we realised that I must have been given someone else’s breakfast so I should imagine the other couple were not very amused. One and a half rounds of toast each this morning.
Breakfast on our last morning, again there was a varied selection, this time we both ordered the Continental selection of meats, cheese and tomato. One addition which I feel would enhance this would be some bread rolls to go with the ham and cheese. Only one round of toast each this time.
Overall I think that with a couple of changes this hotel could obtain better reviews, the streamlining of the breakfast service and to make it more consistent and with maybe a booster for the WIFI. The lack of WIFI in the bedrooms would be the one thing that would prevent me from returning to the hotel. I feel that this hotel does not live up to the Owners Vision as stated on their website. When we handed in our key upon departure there was no “ have you enjoyed your stay” or “ have a good journey”.

1 Thank cheltenhamgal1