“Fabulous Boutique Hotel”
Review of The Orchid Hotel

The Orchid Hotel
Ranked #1 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 26 May 2010

The person below who wrote a negative review was obviously out to get compensation or just had a gripe. This hotel is lovely. I have been in Bournemouth trying and testing hotels and restaurants and this hotel is the nicest one I have seen. The entrance, lobby, restaurant and bar is lovely and the rooms all refurbed are great, and have a personal touch. This is a fabulous boutique hotel and great value. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, and next time i come to Bournemouth, I would definitely stay here. Superb!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 6 April 2010

First of all this review is directed at the hotel and facilities and not the staff.
The large king size bed of the family room was not, it was two uncomfortable beds pushed together. Space for an additional single bed, this would have to be seen to be believed! In general the room was dirty, cobwebs in the room, damp smell of cats p*** in the corridor, ripped carpet, dirty chairs in the breakfast room. Twice the heating supposedly had failed, or they just choose to switch it off, which meant my 1 year old daughter had to go to bed in a cold room. Modern en-suite bathroom, modern for my grandmother, may she rest in peace! The owners have spent money on a few paintings, cushions and chairs to get the nice photos on the website, but that's all. The TV had to be one of the smallest TV I have ever seen, but that didn't matter as there was only 4 channels no SKY or DTV. Restaurant, well the web says they have one, but it didn't open in the evening, but they have some take-away menus.
In general I was very disappointed with this ‘boutique’ hotel and would have preferred to have spent my money elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank AndrewSpain
Reviewed 15 March 2010

It's difficult for me to write this review, because it certainly wasn't the worst place I've stayed in (especially in Bournemouth), but it has the potential to be SO much better.

On the positive side, the hotel is ideally located, close to the shops and beach. The building is nice and the reception/public areas were all nicely decorated. The price was good, but it wasn't the budget option either.

My room was nice, with a comfortable bed and all amenities.

Some of the other comments on here relate to noise - there was a party in the evening I was there and it was VERY noisy outside my window. I mentioned this to the staff and they immediately did spoke to the people concerned and it quietened down. This member of staff was lovely - really helpful and attentive.

The main things I liked were:

- some of the staff
- room decor and ambience
- public areas of the hotel

My dislikes were

- not entirely sure on cleanliness levels (the shower had a huge long hair on the wall, yuck). When I reported it to the manager he said "well, this isn't a five star hotel and things do get missed sometimes". Fair point I suppose - but I felt rather queasy and wouldn't stay here again because of that.
- bathroom had no heating and it was FREEZING in there
- sheets on the bed didn't fit properly and it meant the mattress was visible and kept coming untucked.
- when I went for breakfast, the two servers were chatting, rather than concentrating on serving customers.

I think the hotel has a really good concept, as it's trying to be a boutique hotel at a reasonable price. I accept this means that not everything will be perfect, but I do not think that this should mean a lower standard of cleanliness, or of standards generally. The website raises expectations and the reality is quite different

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank emsip
Reviewed 14 December 2009

The hotel itself was lovely, very cute, clean and friendly staff. The location was brilliant for what we wanted - close to beach and shops. HOWEVER... me and my partner were desperate for a quiet weekend away, a nice relaxing night away from out busy periods at work. The hotel failed to let us know there was a christmas party on at the time of our stay and decided to put us in a room right next to the event. Because we watched a film, we didnt realise the party was going on until we'd turned the film off and tried to go to sleep. It seemed after 11pm the music just got louder and louder. I rang through to reception and asked how long it would be going on for and was told until 1am!! I wasn't best pleased. We had a very disturbed sleep which was a shame because the room was very cute and comfortable. Later at around 3am we realised that a large group from the christmas party were staying above us and kept us up even later! We went away feeling more exhausted than when we arrived which wasn't brilliant for a long drive home along a motorway! I politely told the staff it would have been nice to know in advance so we could have requested a different room or even a different hotel and all they replied with was "oh, weren't you told?" no apology and we still had to pay full price. We couldn't really afford to go away but we were in such need for a relaxing night. What a waste. I have since emailed the hotel but heard nothing back. A shame that a lack of communication let this lovely hotel down,

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2009

I was very impressed with the hotel and the service, some of the reviews here seem to forget that theres a balance between quality and cost which I thought was very good. Id say GO and decide for yourself, I did and was very happy.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 November 2009

Booked my business coleagues into this little gem of a hotel. Very different from the standard tourist destinations in the town, smaller is absolutley better. Great service from the staff, nothing too much trouble. Central location, parking , clean rooms, nice decor. Could not have asked for more.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 October 2009

Don't bother going to this hotel! We stayed one night last weekenfd for a friends wedding. When you enter the hotel the reception is quite nice This it where it ends though. On our arrival we weren't sure where reception was so looked into the first doorway. A woman behind the curtains shouted to us that it was the next door and to follow the sign! She was quite rude in saying this too. The sign was actually flat against the wall and you couldn't see it from entering the hotel.

Floors were disgusting actually - obviously never heard of a cleaner or even a hoover! Too busy blowing leaves outside to be interested in the cleanliness of the inside.

I ordered a bottle of champagne when booking online and never received it.

We had a double room booked - large wardrobe with more than enough room. Beds were 2 singles pushed together - one was higher than the other! Blinds in the room were broken so had to try and sleep whilst the lights from the road outside glared through! Toilet was separate to the bathroom - no problem with this. Shower - completely soaked the entire bathroom trying to have a shower. It had one of them terrible glass doors and the shower was very powerful (which was good) but sprayed water everywhere!

There was actually a tea bag lying on the floor of the bathroom when we first went into room!

All in all I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I guess it's okay if you just want somewhere to lay your head after a night out partying but for anything else - definitely not!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple