I've been to Bournemouth several times and I'm still searching for a great hotel. The Menzies is not that hotel, but it has many good points that made my stay enjoyable.
My room was on the second floor facing the ocean. The room was quite large, with a small desk, and couch. The view of the ocean from the bay windows was wonderful. The room also had a small porch, but the weather was rainy and cool, so I didn't make much use of it except on the day the Olympic torchbearer and parade came by! (It was a surprise to me.)
I was there for pleasure but also had to get some work done. The Internet connection proved to be quite adequate although it is set up to drop every two hours and requires a login to get back on. A charming feature of most British hotels is the tea service in the room. The Menzies setup included coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and cookies which were refreshed each day.
The room was very clean, although the furnishings and rug were a bit worn. The cleaning staff was some of the best and most efficient I've seen. However, the bar and restaurant staff were some of the most inefficient I've seen.
I was reminded of Fawlty Towers one day as I stood waiting to order lunch at the bar only to be passed over by the server when three local business men in expensive-looking suits showed up. The server ignored me and jumped to attend to them. I ended up walking to another hotel for lunch. This wasn't an isolated incident. The bar staff routinely were either nowhere to be found or if there, didn't seem to want to work.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff is the perfect Bournemouth beach hotel, offering spectacular sea views, a bright, modern interior and four star facilities. The hotel is pleased to have been highly recommended at the Bournemouth Tourism Awards in 2012 and again in 2013. Located on the quiet East Cliff, the hotel is just a few minutes' walk away from the seven miles of golden beaches in Bournemouth and only a ten minute walk from the town centre, BIC (Bournemouth International Centre), and Pavilion. The Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff, stands adjacent to its sister hotel, the Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth Carlton and just 2 miles away from the Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, and collectively, our Bournemouth beach hotels offer a truly extensive range of facilities including onsite car parking and complimentary Wi-Fi. The Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff also offers family rooms and direct sea facing rooms with balconies for a small supplement. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, Odigeo, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Hotels.com, Lastminute, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Menzies East Cliff Court Bournemouth Hotel Bournemouth
- Menzies East Cliff Court Hotel