“Lovely Hotel, great views, great service!”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff
Ranked #26 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed one night mid-week as I was travelling for work. I arrived at around 3.30pm checked into my room on the 4th floor which was nice spacious, clean and had a very comfortable bed and large bathroom.
The staff on reception were very friendly and directed me as to how to get to the town centre so I could do a spot of shopping. The walk to the town centre would be about 10-15 mins but I opted to get the bus as I was heading in quite late and the weather was changeable.
I made use of the gym and swimming facilities at the hotel opposite which were very good, particularly the sauna. There is also an outdoor pool which looked well maintained and I can imagine it is lovely in the summer months.
Room service which I ordered for dinner was good and arrived in good time. Breakfast was also nice, although the sausages were a bit dissapointing and the bacon was overly oily. Good selection of continental and cooked items overall and fresh grapefruit juice which is my personal favourite!
Would definatley stay here again, for work and pleasure! Views of the sea and cliffs are amazing.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,244)

Reviewed 21 October 2013

My husband and I booked a weekend break for two nights from 18 th oct.We contacted the hotel the weekend before our stay and asked for a room with a sea view,as it was going to cost £50 extra each night we decided not to but were assured by the young man on the phone that every room has a balcony any way.When we checked into our room our room it didn't have a balcony at all and the view was of the fire escape!! We went back to reception and asked to change rooms,we were then shown to another room which was much smaller but had a balcony and a sea view!! We enjoyed our weekend ,and the breakfast each morning was lovely.

Room Tip: ask for a sea view or balcony.
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Booked the East Cliff back in July this year for 1 night to see a concert at the BIC, room was £102 for a twin bed room as that was all that was showing when booked online but did include breakfast. Got there at 13:00 but room not ready until 15:00 so went for a stroll into Bournemouth. Booked in and I was asked to pay for the room again to which I pulled out the credit card invoice to show that my card had already been debited. Went to room and all I can say that it was probably the smallest room that my wife and I have ever had to stay in. No point trying to ask for another room as I tried to book the previous night but was informed that the Hotel was fully booked Friday and Saturday due to a Gala ball. On a positive it did have a double bed but it was against the wall so you could only get into it from one side. The bathroom door opened out into the bedroom and made it impossible to pass each other, the tea making facilities were on a tray under a small desk and there was no way that the tray could be removed as the desk was tight against the bed. We managed to take the items from the tray but only two teabags and two milk cartons, so no morning cuppa. Got into the bath and then realised we only had one towel, quick call to housekeeping soon sorted that out. Whilst lying in the bath I then noticed dried Faeces on the toilet rim (under the lid) I sprayed with shaving foam but it was still there when we left and probably still there now, no excuse for this and thank god we were only staying one night. Morning breakfast was a complete nightmare too many people not enough tables, a wait of 20 mins to get a table then a queue to get breakfast, hotel run out of plates and most of the items that go to make up a full English breakfast were not available such as eggs. Got back to table and all cutlery gone, the waitress thought we had finished and was arranging for someone else to sit at table, I would have thought leaving the room and car keys on table meant that we were still having breakfast. Booked out and nothing from reception regarding how was your stay so left it at that but I have completed the Hotel questionnaire and posted back today. So I will update if I receive a response back. Room 1019 is only a single room not a double if you stay here, and for management can I suggest you look at the emergency procedures card on the back of the door you may want to correct it.

Room Tip: Do not book room 1019
2  Thank daveWorcestershire
MenziesECC, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for placing feedback on your recent stay.Please accept my sincere apologies for what happened.Since the review was placed we have discussed by phone in more detail what happened and I am very greatful for your time.It is quite clear that their are learnings for us which as a team we have taken on board.I am pleased that you are happy to accept my offer by way of apology and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.Kind regards Paul Clarke, General Manager

Reviewed 5 October 2013

This is a friendly, clean and comfortable hotel. It's about ten minutes walk from bournemouth centre, steep climb up to the hotel though. Lovely views from our very large room. We had a sea facing room with balcony and large bathroom with window. The food was wonderful, breakfast and evening meals. Attention to detail high. We would stay here again.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Susan A
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Very pleased with the hotel. Helpful staff ; upgraded rooms for rest of party. Good food and pleasant atmosphere. Only awkward time was when we arrived the rooms weren't ready so left luggage and went and ate. When we returned they asked us to pay in advance before we'd even seen the room!! Managed to sort that one out and from then on everything was fine.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony - sea view
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I would like to start by "stating" that I like to "think" I give constructive criticism. We had 3 nights at the this hotel, the 1st night was on the "Sunday" special,which was we had to spend £75 at the bar or restaurant by midnight and you get the night free, YES FREE with breakfast included, !!!!, excellent offer !!!. I like weekend break offers, but they have to be 4-5 star hotel's. We checked into our double standard room, and WOW though on the small size absolutely beautiful 8.5/10, look's like it had just been refurbished,the bed was loooovely and comfy, the bathroom was a clean and contemporary, BUT needed some attention to bring it to the standard of the bedroom 6/10. We had our evening meal in the restaurant and what a beautiful meal it was, service spot on, polite pleasant staff. After dinner we went into the 2cd larger lounge for our drinks, once again beautiful and fresh, this hotel just got better. All in all we had a very lovely, pleasant and relaxing stay, well, other then 1 scenario, which was .......((( I reported that someone was smoking on our floor and just a few rooms away from us, i do NOT have a problem with smokers but our room started to smell terrible, anyway our 2cd night we had settled down for the night and in our PJ's, when the fire alarm went off, we obviously had to evacuate the hotel, a cold, damp windy night, after standing outside for a short time we was allowed back in the hotel, my husband asked why the alarm went off, he was told someone's been smoking in their room,my husband then said my wife reported this twice !!!, and nothing was done about it !!!!.We noticed a very dear old lady who looked in her 90's, very distressed and cold, if only the hotel had acted on my first reporting this would not of happened..))). A few "small" other pointers that could make this hotel even better !!!!
On entering the grounds (car park) the first thing we noticed was the rubbish being blown around, leaves and lot's of them !!, tab ends,ect, We entered the hotel and was greeted by a very friendly receptionist (think his name was Tom), Once checked in, we sat in the 1st bar/lounge for lunch and drinks, we noticed that some of the large furniture is in need of replacing very soon.We then had a stroll onto the balcony, lovely table and chairs, but again untidy grounds, cig tab's left on the wall, the pool looked VERY un-inviting, clear water but the tiles were in need of a good scrub. Overall a very nice hotel and we will be back.

3  Thank SharonCambs
Reviewed 4 October 2013

This hotel is a practical choice for a stay in Bournemouth. Staff were efficient, but I wouldn't say that they were particularly friendly or made our stay anything more than an overnight stopover.
The room was a good size with toiletries provided, and you could just about see the sea despite not having a superior room with sea view. The shower was a bit of a disappointment given the room quality, but the bed was big and comfy.
Two of our lamps didn't work, and these were fixed promptly. They said that it had happened before and there was a peculiarity that caused the problem. As a result, the problem recurred in the evening.
Something I never thought I'd need to comment on -- the fire escape map was easy to understand and we found our way out when the fire alarm sounded!
The breakfast buffet was great. Supplies were topped up as they ran out. Full English breakfast, fruit, some continental ham/cheese (looked a little sad), pastries, toaster, loaves you can cut yourself, tea selection...a hearty start to the day.
The Menzies East Cliff Court lacks personality in my opinion. It provides a comfortable night's sleep and a good breakfast - which is what you want and expect from a hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple