“New Year 2013”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff
Ranked #21 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Excellent as always staff are a credit to this hotel Paul Clarke ( the manager ) David and Natasha all work very hard to make sure that everyone has a good stay , there are some areas that need some TLC . Food lovely and lots of choice

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,294)

Reviewed 8 January 2014

I normally stay in Premier Inns when travelling on business. I stay in hotels nearly every week and I can honestly say this hotel is the worst one I have ever stayed in. It may be that my expectations where high as I was looking forward to staying in a four star hotel, but this hotel cannot even get the basics right.
The first room I was given was spacious and clean but did look a bit rough round the edges (rust in the bathroom, discoloured radiators etc.) but the room was very cold. Only the smallest of three radiators was on and you could feel and see a breeze coming in around the windows. I had already unpacked and decided to just dress warmly and got to bed with my socks on. The bed is a "fake" double where two singles have been pushed together leaving a very hard bump in the middle and all pillows were rock hard and only an inch think. I did not sleep well at all.

The restaurant in the hotel only opens for dinner at 7pm which I think is late and inconvenient. I went down to breakfast and the room is very dark with only the surrounding lights on and only the tables next to the windows were set up for breakfast. So I found myself setting next to a cold breezy window (I don't normally feel the cold!) and eating in the dark. The coffee pot only allowed a trickle out so took some time to full my mug. The toaster that is used squeaks like an eerie horror film and is the only noise that can be heard at breakfast - a very unpleasant experience.

When I returned at the end of my working day I needed to use the shower prior to a meeting I had. I turned the shower on and found that the plug had been pushed in and I could not get it to open. This was obviously done when the room was serviced and left. I called reception and explained who put me through to room service where I had to explain again. I was told he would be up to look at it "in about, well, maybe 5 to 7 minutes". I waited 10 minutes and as my room is freezing I got dressed and called room service again where I explained I am in room ... and I am waiting for someone to fix the plug. To which the response was, "yes I remember the problem". I said, "well come now as I am going to miss my appointment if I can't shower soon!" He turned up with a pair of scissors in his hand and tried to dangerous scratch the plug up (which did alleviate my concerns on why there appeared to be rusty scratch marks in the bath tub - this has obviously happened before!). After 30 seconds of scratching he said, "Ok, I be back". I then got a brief and rude call from reception saying, "Hi we have moved you to this room, bye". Not apologies or any level of customer service for the inconvenience. SO I missed my appointment because I had to repack my bags and carry them up to the top floor. The new room had a lovely sea view but the shower (what I have been after all evening!!!) had no water pressure. The water was so low that it only covered my head and left my body completely dry and once again COLD!

I could go on and on but hopefully you will see how this hotel fails to create a warm, welcoming environment, with a comfortable bed to sleep in and working bathroom facilitates. This is something most 1 to 2 star hotels get right. Cannot wait to return to the very lovely Premier Inn's in Bournemouth!(And no I don't work for Premier Inn!).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank MM1124
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband and I stayed on the New Year package for 3 nights which we have done for a number of years. It is a lovely hotel and a bonus is you can use the sister Hotel The Carlton facilities. The rooms are clean and spacious and the staff very welcoming and want to ensure you have a pleasant stay. The food we can never fault and the entertainment for our three nights was great. We will be booking up again for our New Year package again in 2014.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tina P
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Nice spacious and clean room though bathroom was a little small and the shower was difficult to turn off. Very good breakfast (which was available until 12.00 on New Years day). Staff were very good - pleasant and attentive. Plenty of space in car park. Excellent location on seafront.

Our only negative comment was that our room was quite noisy as it was directly above the ball room / restaurant even though we had asked for a quiet room.

Overall this is nice hotel and we had an enjoyable break though we were surprised that it's a 4*.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Went for a New Year Break and couldn't fault anything, from the time we arrived to the time we left nothing was to much trouble. Staff always had time for you no matter who they were, management included. Food was excellent. Thank you for a enjoyable stay. Look forward to returning.

1  Thank ThePrices67
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Our son had his wedding reception at the East Cliff Court Hotel on 7th December and
I am writing to express our thanks for the excellent job done by all members of staff at
the hotel. Natasha the 'wedding coordinator' worked very hard to ensure the day ran
smoothly. Chef provided first class food - canapés, three course meals and evening
buffet. The bar staff and waiters/waitresses gave us excellent service. Many of us stayed over and the rooms were spacious and very clean with good facilities. This hotel was perfect for this special day. Every member of staff contributed to make this a wonderful occasion.
THANK YOU.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

As usual, staff, who are without exception , so kind and helpful, especially Natasha. Lovely comfortable room at front of hotel with balcony and sea views. Food generally good but the main meals (dinner) were sometimes a bit tough to get into. Other meals were lovely. Look forward to visiting again.