“Our wedding”

Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Our wedding”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We got married at this hotel back in May 2014. We had both our wedding ceremony and reception at the hotel.
We found the lead up to the day lacked communication and we had to pester a lot, I think this was more to do with the member of staff we were dealing with as when I contacted the manager my queries was answered and replied within the day!
When our day arrived I felt the day ran very smoothly and all our little details were put into action by the staff. We were a wedding party of 105 (with a lot of children) and I felt the hotel dealt with us all very well. The food was great, the decoration was great and all the staff were very lovely. Our particular thanks goes to Natasha and David, they really were fantastic on the day, but also the day before and after. I cannot fault them. They really went all out to check everything was how we wanted.
The one criticism we had was the chair covers were wrong (a miner detail) this was something that was caused by lack of communication with the original member of staff. Nothing to do with the day. A large amount of our wedding party stayed before and after the wedding, and everyone was accommodated well. In fact it was only my parents (mother and father of the bride) who had the smallest room for the 2 nights.
Overall we had the most perfect wedding and I couldn't fault the day at all. We made some fantastic memories and this hotel will always hold a special place in our hearts.
Thank you once again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Once again we had a really lovely time at East Cliff Court.We are school friends who are now very senior!! The staff looked after us so well,nothing was too much trouble,and they were happy to do whatever was needed for our comfort. Perfect position facing the sea ,lift to the beach opposite, bus stops also are near.We did not even miss the car!. Bedroom was large and very comfortable with sea view and balcony. Restuarant staff most attentive ,and menu was very good with changes every day .Families were also well catered for,which meant there was a great mix of clientele . The pool is also a great plus.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gillian W
Sandhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I have recently returned from our 5 night stay at the East Cliff Court which included our wedding reception after getting married on the beach. We were very impressed with the facilities and the staff.
We had a lovely room overlooking the sea at the front of the hotel and the views were amazing, we were very lucky with the weather as it was so hot and although there was no air con, we were offered a fan and by having the balcony doors open, the room was cool. The staff were very attentive and looked after us well. Anything we asked for was sorted out efficiently by the reception staff and the managers - David & Natasha - were brilliant.
Many of our friends and family also stayed over the wedding weekend and they were impressed with the child friendly nature of the hotel and free ice creams and juice for under 12's.
The actual wedding reception itself was well organised and the food for the buffet was lovely and there was a lot of it.The DJ was great, organised by the hotel, and played the music we wanted so we were very happy.
We will definitely be returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a lovely sea view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My daughter and I (a senior plus!) enjoyed our 3 night stay. Friendly and pleasant. All ages in the hotel, families and retired couples. Room had all we required although a small fridge would have been nice. Breakfast, all we needed and a good evening meal.
We enjoyed the use of the Carlton's pool and jacuzzi.
I loved the long walks on the promenade - we walked down but there is a lift.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We booked this hotel many months in advance as we were attending a function in Bournemouth. Since I did not receive a booking confirmation, I emailed again requesting one. No reply. Once I called up I was promised one, but again, nothing arrived. On my second call someone finally sent the booking confirmation through.

The hotel does not have any grounds to speak of, but parking is available. The seafront location makes for great views, although you have to walk for a few minutes to find the access to the beach below.

Check-in was quick and no problem, and the rate was actually cheaper than we had booked. We were given a room on the mezanine floor. The room was pokey (although with a side view of the sea), no aircon (altough there was a fan), no fridge, and the bathroom door opened near the bed (and was made of non-clear glass), overall giving little privacy. The bathroom was tiny, definitly a one-person room. The toilet is so near the wall that you touch the toilet roll holder with your shoulder. There was only space for one person to stand between bath, toilet and sink. The bath was old with some mould (would not have a bath in there, barely alright for a shower). The shower had good pressure, but I could not turn it off - my husband had to help me. Little space for toiletries, especially around the sink. Towels were big and fluffy though.
I was disappointed as I would have expected more from a four star hotel, especially in the bathroom.
Breakfast is only served until 10 o'clock, which is a bit early for the weekend, when people may want to have a lie-in. We were told breakfast was served until 9.30, probably so that we would be out of there by 10. On the first morning we beat the rush, and had a pleasant service. Typical hot breakfast, with some cereal, toast, rolls and crosaints. On the second day we were part of the rush, and staff seemed to struggle. Things ran out, we had to ask several times for coffee and tea, and it took a long time to replensih those things that had run out.

Overall, neither breakfast nor room was four star, altough all the staff were lovely. We did not get to use the pool, which only had a few sun beds scattered around.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
MenziesECC, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Guest many thanks for taking the time to put feedback on trip advisor, im sorry to you had to chase the confirmation for your stay.Referring to your room we have varying types of style and size and I would always recommend that guests speak to the hotel by phone or email me in person at paul.clarke@menzies-hotels.co.uk so i can deal with your reservation personally.Looking at our records there was no comment made when we did a courtesy check to your room otherwise we would of moved you.Breakfast is served until 10am each day of the summer holidays to ensure our guests can have a lie in and not rush.Around the pool we have twenty sun beds along with chairs that have proved adequate for our guests.

Thankyou for the feedback, Paul Clarke, General Manager
corby
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Fantastic weather somewhat marred by our experience.
We booked through Booking.com, when we arrived the hotel had no knowledge of us and was full, which was a good start, although the receptionist promised to find us something at another 4 star hotel, which was fair enough, and fortunately or otherwise depending on your viewpoint they did dig up a room for us within the hotel. This room 2011 was pokey, and with an adjoining door to access next door which was obviously occupied, I say obviously because most of what the occupants said was clearly audible. They weren't overly noisy it was just the paper thin walls. There was no aircon although we did have a fan. The room was very warm indeed. The door into the bathroom fouled the wall inside and wouldn't open fully, bad news if you are horizontally challenged as you will not be getting into the bathroom. When sitting on the bog the toilet roll holder is so near you're rubbing shoulders with it. The bath had black mould at the joining of tile and bath, not a lot but clearly visible.
Due to these inconveniences we requested a room change the next morning and had two to choose from, so we picked the one we thought would suit to find that in the interim between inspection and collecting the key that someone had smoked in there! The room was deodorised while we were out for a few hours so we overcame that hurdle. I got the impression these rooms were reserved for punters who used the on line booking sites as they were all small and difficult to move around in without bumping into something. We paid £152 per night which we didn't object to on the assumption we would be staying in a 4* establishment and we kind of got the impression we weren't.
So for that money we did not get
Aircon
decent sized room
fridge
clean bathroom
wifi.
There is actually free wifi but I couldn't access it wherever I went.
On the positive side the staff I met are very friendly and helpful. Parking is free which seems unusual these days. Dinner was very good though the breakfast was a bit on the cool side and a typical help yourself scenario which I wouldn't expect from 4 star.
I don't normally write negative reviews, this is probably the second in over 140 so I don't do it lightly.

Room Tip: Do not accept rooms facing the rear car park unless you are very small people.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bertthefish
Dear Guest
Many thanks for putting your feedback on trip advisor, firstly I would like to make it quite clear that we do not allocate rooms based on what channel a guest has booked, we do it based on the rate they are paying and the type of room required. I was sorry that we did not have your reservation but pleased that the team gave you a room which you describe as pokey room 2011, I would disagree yes the bathroom is small but the bedroom is newly refurbished with pleasant views. As with all hotels when there is humid weather it is hot unless there is air conditioning in rooms, we do not advertise that we have Air conditioning so as not to disappoint guests, we do though provide fans on request. You suggest you were expecting a fridge as well, we do provide these on request but not as standard and do not advertise that we do again to avoid disappointment. I am pleased however to advise that we are in the process of upgrading our WIFI as it is not perfect so future guests will benefit from this.Thankyou for the feedback Paul Clarke General Manager.
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Spent 3 days in family room with sea view, 2 kids. Staff were helpful and really nice. Nothing was too much trouble. Room was clean and spacious with a balcony. The outdoor pool was heated which was brilliant! Really didn't have huge expectations when we booked but our expectations were certainly exceeded. Thank you east cliff staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family