Where do I begin? We just wanted a nice cosy stay away for the week end. just a short break. As we approached the hotel it seemed quite nice. Location and view seemed perfect. A direct sea view. We drove our car in to the lot to find not many parking spaces so we had to use the very poorly lit rear car park, passing a delapidated-looking building which was part of the hotel. Well, it was dark so we didn't take too much notice.
Check in was...cosy. A very small reception desk. When we booked we asked for a sea view but on arrival were told that there were none available. The receptionist checked our room out on the computer, giggling slightly, whilst explaining that they had quite a large number of guests. We didn't think any thing of it. We were given our keys and off we went.
As we approached our room along the very narrow corridor, we found our door nestled in a small corner. We opened the door to a rush of musty odour. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but on the wall was one of those plug in air freshners. We thought that must have been the cause but why would they need a plug in air freshner if the room was supposed to be fresh and clean? We inspected the room. The decour was a bit dated but seemed cosy enough. However, there were large balls of dust under the table, the curtains needed a serious dusting and in a corner of the room where the wall paper was peeling grew black mould. The ceiling was cracked in several places too.
We inspected the bathroom. The mould growing in the shower, the lack of ventillation and the peeling ceiling paint took away from it's decent size. The window was also locked solid and full of mould. The toilet flushed with a horrendous noise which seemed to last ages and the hot water tap took and age to run hot! I am not a fussy person generally but geeeeeeze this was definitely sub-standard and most definitely NOT 4 star!
Anyway, we knew they were fully booked for the week end so decided to slug it out. We got ready for bed but the odour was still there. Out of the corner of my eye I saw it on the side table. An ash tray! Why was there an ash tray in our non-smoking room? We tried to sleep on the thin and worn mattress but the too small door to our room was streaming in too much light round the door frame and the floor!
The following morning we were woken up at 8 am by housekeeping! Why were they waking people up at 8 am? The noise the cleaners were making cleaning the other rooms was silly so we got up for breakfast.
Breakfast was quite nice actually and the staff were nice.
On another night we were kept up at 1 am to the noise of a party of some sort which took place in the hotel.
All in all, Bournemouth is a nice place, but this hotel is most definitely NOT 4 star and most definitely NOT good value for money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff is the perfect Bournemouth beach hotel, offering spectacular sea views, a bright, modern interior and four star facilities. The hotel is pleased to have been highly recommended at the Bournemouth Tourism Awards in 2012 and again in 2013. Located on the quiet East Cliff, the hotel is just a few minutes' walk away from the seven miles of golden beaches in Bournemouth and only a ten minute walk from the town centre, BIC (Bournemouth International Centre), and Pavilion. The Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff, stands adjacent to its sister hotel, the Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth Carlton and just 2 miles away from the Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, and collectively, our Bournemouth beach hotels offer a truly extensive range of facilities including onsite car parking and complimentary Wi-Fi. The Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff also offers family rooms and direct sea facing rooms with balconies for a small supplement. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Lastminute, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, TravelUp, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Menzies East Cliff Court Bournemouth Hotel Bournemouth
- Menzies East Cliff Court Hotel