“Turn back whilst you still can...”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff
Ranked #25 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
London
“Turn back whilst you still can...”
Reviewed 11 November 2009

Where do I begin? We just wanted a nice cosy stay away for the week end. just a short break. As we approached the hotel it seemed quite nice. Location and view seemed perfect. A direct sea view. We drove our car in to the lot to find not many parking spaces so we had to use the very poorly lit rear car park, passing a delapidated-looking building which was part of the hotel. Well, it was dark so we didn't take too much notice.

Check in was...cosy. A very small reception desk. When we booked we asked for a sea view but on arrival were told that there were none available. The receptionist checked our room out on the computer, giggling slightly, whilst explaining that they had quite a large number of guests. We didn't think any thing of it. We were given our keys and off we went.

As we approached our room along the very narrow corridor, we found our door nestled in a small corner. We opened the door to a rush of musty odour. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but on the wall was one of those plug in air freshners. We thought that must have been the cause but why would they need a plug in air freshner if the room was supposed to be fresh and clean? We inspected the room. The decour was a bit dated but seemed cosy enough. However, there were large balls of dust under the table, the curtains needed a serious dusting and in a corner of the room where the wall paper was peeling grew black mould. The ceiling was cracked in several places too.

We inspected the bathroom. The mould growing in the shower, the lack of ventillation and the peeling ceiling paint took away from it's decent size. The window was also locked solid and full of mould. The toilet flushed with a horrendous noise which seemed to last ages and the hot water tap took and age to run hot! I am not a fussy person generally but geeeeeeze this was definitely sub-standard and most definitely NOT 4 star!

Anyway, we knew they were fully booked for the week end so decided to slug it out. We got ready for bed but the odour was still there. Out of the corner of my eye I saw it on the side table. An ash tray! Why was there an ash tray in our non-smoking room? We tried to sleep on the thin and worn mattress but the too small door to our room was streaming in too much light round the door frame and the floor!

The following morning we were woken up at 8 am by housekeeping! Why were they waking people up at 8 am? The noise the cleaners were making cleaning the other rooms was silly so we got up for breakfast.

Breakfast was quite nice actually and the staff were nice.

On another night we were kept up at 1 am to the noise of a party of some sort which took place in the hotel.

All in all, Bournemouth is a nice place, but this hotel is most definitely NOT 4 star and most definitely NOT good value for money.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LondonBizzy
MenziesECC, Hotel Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff, responded to this review, 19 November 2009
Dear Guest,

Thankyou for posting your review after your visit with us at the East Cliff Court Hotel, Bournmouth.

From the outset please accpet my apologies for the experience that you had with us during your stay.

I have checked our records to see if you spoke to any of the management team whilst you were here, to give us an oppurtunity to move you to a different room, and I do not see any evidence of this, so I am sorry that we were unable to do this.

I am pleased to advise that the delapidated building which is at the back of the hotel is currently being painted, along with the rest of the exterior of the hotel as part of our ongoing maintenance programme at the hotel. This will greatly improve the appearance of the hotel.

Refering to the points regarding your room, it is hard to establish which room you stayed in as I do not have your name but from my research I believe you may of stayed in room 2015. This is a standard double room, which is not a true reflection of the bedroom offering that we have at the hotel, I apologies for the dust and as with all hotels we have a maintenance programme of works to be carried out to maintain our bedrooms and now tha we are in the off peak season this will give us the oppurtunity to focus on this.

I am sorry that in your opinion you felt the hotel was not fitting to its four star status, or value for money. As you will see from other guest surveys we do generally live up to expectations and our most recent AA visit rated us as four star.

If you would like to return to the East Cliff Court hotel kindly contact me personally when I will ensure you have a nicer room at a preferential rate, subject to availability.

Thankyou for taking the time to give feedback on trip advisor, as it is very important to us that potential guests to see feedback on the hotel.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Polish first
Herts
Reviewed 28 October 2009

Stayed here recently and would have to recommend it. We had bed (a room with a sea view) and breakfast and for under £100. Couldnt fault the hotel in any way. Staff were friendly, food was nice. A great seaside hotel

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
MenziesECC, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff, responded to this review, 3 November 2009
Thankyou for taking the time to complete the tripadvisor survey, and for your kind comments about your stay with us at the East Cliff Court Hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not to distant future.

Yours Sincerely

London
Reviewed 20 October 2009

We stayed in this hotel after spending a day at the university. When we arrived our first thought was oh no! the buildings where old and needed refurbishing they looked rusty and falling apart. We wanted to turn around and go and stay somewhere else or even at home! We decided to stick it out as my dad had already paid the deposit. When we got inside it was a little better but when we got to our rooms they where outdated and practically falling apart. the celings look like they where suffering from damp and the wall paper was peeling off. Staff where friendly but to be honest i would not stay there again or reccomend it to any others!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank SophieLouise22
Thankyou for completing the tripadvisor survery regarding your recent stay with us at the East CLiff Court Hotel.

I was dissapointed to read your comments about the exterior of the hotel and the standard of your room. Like most hotels we have rooms situated in different parts of the hotel with different standards of decor and design, and I am sorry that we did not have the oppurtuity to move you to a more appropriate room when you were here.

You were not specific with the room you stayed in, but we do have ongoing refurbishment of our bedrooms, to ensure they are kept fresh and well maintained.

I am pleased to advise that as part of an ongoing refurbishment programme the exterior of the hotel is being re painted in November, which will provide a welcoming environment for our guests.

If you do return to Bournemouth Please contact me personally so that I can deal with your reservation, thus ensuring you have a better room than before.

Thankyou once again for completing the survey.

Yours Sincerely

Oxford UK
Reviewed 17 October 2009

My wife and I have just returned from a 4 night stay at the East Cliff and we really couldnt fault it. We had a very clean,well equipped and spacious sea view room which was always a pleasure to come back to. We had a half board tariff and the breakfasts and dinners were excellent. Looking at the meal prices if you came into the restaurant ' off the street' they are exceptionally good value. For us the hotels best point was the quality of staff who, to a person, were friendly and courteous and just couldnt do enough to enhance your stay. There must be good morale and excellent training!!
OK - there is no gym or inside pool but there is free use of these at the adjacent sister hotel the Carlton

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
MenziesECC, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff, responded to this review, 19 October 2009
Thank you for leaving feedback from your recent stay.

I am glad you enjoyed your visit to Bournemouth and hope to welcome you back in the future.
edinburgh
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We stayed here on a tour of south of england and it was the highlight of our tour. The hotel is situated on alovely spot on the cliff with ample car parking easily accessible from the centre of bournemouth which is only 10 minutes walk away . The service was first class especially in the dining room where we had alovely 3 course meal for £20. We will certainly stay again on our next visit

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
MenziesECC, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff, responded to this review, 9 October 2009
Thank you for posting your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

I am so glad you enjoyed the experience and look forward to seeing you again

Lancashire
Reviewed 26 September 2009

Booked a Special package for bed, breakfast & evening dinner. Requested a sea-view room due to celebrating my birthday/wedding anniversary and feel sure that we were allocated the worse room in the hotel, probably because we booked the package offer!
It was in an annexe at the rear of the hotel and requires bulldozing! My husband opened the window to allow some air into the stuffy, stale-smelling room and we were horrified at the state of disrepair that the windows are in. How it didn't fall out is surprising. They are absolutely rotten and slimy green as is the exterior. Disgusting! The bathroom also had a huge crack right down the tiles from ceiling to floor. There is also a road underneath the window and the traffic noise sounds like a motorway due to the state of the windows!
The 3-course evening meal was acceptable,if a little bland. I was quite surprised when the waitress asked me if my chosen Chilean Sauvignon Blanc was red or white! She was very pleasant though!
Breakfast was pretty standard fare and the staff overall were very pleasant.
The indoor pool had only just re-opened due to renovation, which it is in desperate need of. The windows are filthy. Not surprising that we were the only people to use it. We stayed for only 15 minutes due to the high chlorine content in the water.
We wouldn't have stayed if we had paid the standard, outrageous tariff and were glad to depart the following morning.
In stark contrast we then moved to the Premier Inn central and were amazed at the quality of the rooms and furnishings! It is a quarter of the cost and 10 times better. We were even given a sea-view room on the 4th floor which was stunning.
If you are visiting Bournemouth there is only one place to stay. Try it and you'll be hooked, especially given the value-for money.

1 Thank LancashireLitatts
MenziesECC, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff, responded to this review, 2 October 2009
Further to your recent stay thank you for posting your comments.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your room, unfortunately free upgrades are not available during periods of high demand, however I do apologise that your room was not up to standard. We are constantly maintaining our rooms with an ongoing programme.

There is not generally a high volume of traffic on the coastal road so I was suprised that you were disturbed but again my apologies.

Clearly we have some way to go with our restaurant training but I thank you for your comments regarding the politeness of the staff.

I will pass your comments regarding the indoor pool to the Manager of the Carlton Hotel in order to monitor the chlorine levels more closely.

Again thank you for your comments, a few things for us to work on! I hope you will stay again in the future to see the changes made.

Regards

Chorleywood
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Everything was perfect; We were immediately updated to a seaview room on request. The breakfast choice was exceptional and the service discreet and speedy. We cannot wait to come back to this Hotel and spend more time in Bournemouth, where we saw an icerink show in town, had a boatride and witnessed a helicopter descending with stretcher onto our boat and many more delightful experiences.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
MenziesECC, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff, responded to this review, 14 September 2009
Thank you for leaving feedback regarding your stay with us.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay in Bournemouth, thank you for your comments regarding the staff and service.

I hope you will visit us again soon. Look out for special offers in the Dail Mail newspaper.

Regards