“Great hotel with very friendly and helpful staff, and superb food”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff
Ranked #25 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Great hotel with very friendly and helpful staff, and superb food”
Reviewed 24 January 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night after finding a fantastic offer that included cream tea on arrival, 3 course dinner and bed & breakfast for £98 for 2 people. On arrival (we were early) our room wasn't ready so we got out cream tea ordered up in the lounge area. The barman was the only person serving drinks and he seemed to be taking food orders and making the food as well! So some people had to wait a few minutes to order their drinks/food whilst he was getting our cream tea!
Our room was nice. Nothing majorly special, but clean and standard for a double room. Had plenty of room to move around. If I was to be picky the shower was useless! It was just a dribble from the shower head.
We went to the adjacent (sister) hotel, The Carlton Menzies, for some Beauty Salon treatments and relaxed in the jacuzzi and sauna. The Beauty Salon was small but very good with some lovely staff.
The best thing about our stay was probably the dinner in the hotel. I wasn't sure what to expect but we were very pleasantly amazed. We ordered Steak each but were then told that they had run out and there was only one left. After the waitress saw my husband's disappointed face she offered to go back and check whether they could get another steak from the Carlton hotel next door. Whilst I didn't mind swapping mine for something else, she insisted on checking. She then returned a few minutes later to confirm that they have secured another steak! And the steak was amazing...cooked to perfection. Probably one of the best we've ever had.
Breakfast the next morning was fresh and hot...even on the cooked breakfast buffet.
Overall, the hotel was good and the staff in both of the Menzies hotels were extremely helpful and pleasant, and seemed to want to go the extra mile.
I would definitely recommend this hotel, and will be keeping my eyes out for some more offers!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Polish first
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2011

Stayed just one night on business, this time of year really great value_ have stayed in most of the other hotels in east cliff as have customers in the town and visit them regularly but this was one of the best. Friendly quick check in, had asked for a high floor in quiet area and was granted- nice side sea view but rain didn't give best view. Large room for one person at end of corridor on second floor, lovely clean big bathroom. Comfy bed, but TV had limited channels. Free wi-fi was fast, tea tray had nice selection ot tea bags and a proper tea pot. If staying a long time the wardrobe a little on the small side. Room very clean, quiet, and a good night sleep but I am not sure the small single radiator would cope on a very cold night . I know not why other folk don't like the rooms, I don't think it was a refurbished room but was well equipped and really fine, good toiletries.

Went next door to Carlton Spa, disappointed_ tiny pool and whilst the jacuzzi looks new it is very small and can only seat about 3 people, Sauna was reasonable size and fine, gym small. To serve both hotels and being quality 4 stars honestly the spa was a let down.

Had the express menu Chicken Curry in the bar, good value inculding a drink. It was served on a very hot plate, and tasty but not really much curry_ I'd say very mild, menu said Popadums but was served a nice chunk of Nan bread.. I ordered an extra side salad which was fresh and good selection. Surprised a additional bottle of Becks was £4.10, seems rather over priced, even for a four star.

Breakfast was okay, the buffet selection included some meats and cheese but limited, however nice fruits and bits to put on cereal. I was rather concerned when I glanced at the floor behind the breakfast counter as I was helping myself to yogurt- it was very dirty, looked as though not even been swept for a long time with something like rubbish in the far corner and a couple of those cardboard mouse poison traps up against the wall. One thinks , if this is an area the public can see, whats it like behind the scenes? and is there a vermin problem? The cooked breakfast was served too quickly as I was still eating cereal and yogurt, and the waitress didn't even ask if I was ready- just put it down and walked off, thats not four star service! Another one of these horrid "Do your own toast" machines that never give you a consistent piece of toast and waste so much energy, but good quality bacon and eggs, and a nice pot of real tea served.

Overall I would be happy to stay again but think I'd usually eat out until I was convinced that the restaurant and kitchens cleanliness was up to scratch.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
MenziesECC, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff, responded to this review, 24 January 2011
Dear Guest
My sincere thanks for taking the time to complete some very constructive feedback on your recent stay with us at the East Cliff Court Hotel.
I was very pleased to read that overall you had a good stay but disappointed to read your comments about the size of the portion of the chicken curry served, no popadoms being served, the standard of the Carlton hotels leisure club and very importantly to me, your concern about the cleanliness of the restaurant and kitchen.
I have spoke to the chef today and re iterated the attention of detail required to the curry and photos have also been taken to ensure we maintain our standards. I have also given your feedback to Andrew Woodland, General Manager of the Carlton hotel regarding the Leisure Club.
Regarding cleanliness, being part of Menzies hotels, which has a well recognised brand throughout the UK, we take health and safety very seriously and with regards to food hygiene we follow HACCP procedures which are industry standard, and do daily, weekly and monthly internal checks which are then supported by regular external unannounced audits from a third party health and safety company. I am pleased to advise that to date we have had no issues with vermin or hygiene and have scored highly on all audits.
I am pleased that you will be returning in the future when you do please contact me personally at paul.clarke@menzieshotels.co.uk when I can make the arrangements for you and also say hello when you stay with us.
Many thanks once again for the feedback

Paul Clarke
Lincolnshire
Reviewed 13 January 2011

We were in a room (1110) that had a sea view from the side of the hotel. We were out all day and at night you couldn't see the view, but in the summer it would have been a good choice. We stayed for 2 nights on a half board basis with a cream tea on one of the days. For less than £200 you couldn't fault it. Food and service very good and everyone was pleasant and efficient. The hotel was under occupied so the restaurant lacked atmosphere on the second evening but the food was good and very well presented. The weather on the weekend we visited was sunny so we spent our days exploring the area (if you visit Corfe Castle, make sure you go on the guided tour) so I can't comment on the other facilities. The room let the hotel down but it didn't take the enjoyment out of the stay. TheTV is an old CRT model and the furniture was dated (wardrobe was tilted forward and the doors would swing open if not shut properly) but it was the bathroom that let it down. The grouting was stained and mouldy, the shower curtain couldn't be pull back as the ceiling hanger got in the way and the shower mixer unit, although good in its day, was past its best. The hotel is dog friendly and the yapping which we initially thought was outside was in an adjacent room. It could be heard early evening and we were worried about our quality of sleep that night, but by using the cotton wool from the jar in the bathroom, we had a good nights sleep. A bigger dog may have resulted in a different night sleep. Overall it was great get away, staff are great, and bed comfortable, food good and a very good deal.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2011

We upgraded out bedroom at a small cost and it was well worth it ~our spacious room had a lovely sea view.
We had our breakfast served in our room which was a real treat and all of the food we had was good.
The staff were helpful, polite and reaaly keen to ensure our stay was comfortable.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
MenziesECC, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff, responded to this review, 3 January 2011
Dear Guest,

My sincere thanks for taking the time to complete your feedback on Trip Advisor.

The team and I were delighted to read your feedback, just dissapointed you did not have the sun to wake up to whilst enjoying your breakfast!

We all very much look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Yours Sincerely

Paul

Paul Clarke
Birmingham
Reviewed 28 December 2010

Another fantastic stay at the East Cliff Court. Amazing food in the Regency and friendly and speedy service. Thank you again Kasia.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2010

A big, imposing white hotel overlooking the sea that's been refurbed, thankfully it’s a lot more modern on the inside than the outside! We moved rooms from the back of the hotel (older rooms that certainly need updating) into a fab, bright, clean room with terrific sea view. Our deal was Afternoon Tea, B&B, evening meal and for £98 couldn't fault it. Food and service very good (especially Jo on reception). The hotel was under occupied so the restaurant lacked atmosphere in the evening but the food was good and very well presented. The waiting staff served our coffee in the lounge area which was a great idea as we didn't feel so isolated.
The pool area at the sister hotel is very disappointing. Small, a little tatty and the Jacuzzi wasn't working. Tiny sauna, but nice. There was a couple of members in the pool with their children who were so loud it was unbearable, the children shouted and screamed as excitable kids do when let on the loose! I asked the spa staff if it was a usual occurrence and he apologised said they come every Sunday but as they were members he didn't feel as if he could address it. I guess my advice would be avoid Sundays!!
Overall it was great to get away, the view is super, and it was wonderful to see some sunshine in December. Staff are great, rooms well done and bed comfortable. Food good. A very good deal.

Chalfont St. Giles, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2010

Stayed at This hotel yesterday as part of a large group attending the hotels organised Christmas party. Lovely hotel with very friendly and cheerful staff. Food for an organised party was first class, DJ was playing exactly the right music for the clientel and bar prices not unreasonable.

My only disappointment was the television reception in my room which was dire - took me back to the 60's when it was normal to have a picture with a snow storm - not just our room but other members in our party as well. Also the water cold pressure is very low it trickles out the taps and the cistern takes a age to fill up. Other than that I can highly recommend this hotel.