“Bring in the Hotel Inspector!!”
Review of Laguna Hotel

Laguna Hotel
Ranked #113 of 133 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 June 2012

On the website it looked just what we were looking for so we were disappointed when we arrived. The double beds were like sleeping on concrete, the single bed was damp, lumpy and you felt you were on a slant. You could not swing a cat in the bathroom, the shower hit the back of the bath. The toilet roll was positioned behind you which made it almost impossible to reach. The breakfast was appauling, small & unappetising. Full english it was certainly not served on a tea plate! Bacon was under cooked, sausage and fried bread over cooked, the baked beans were heated in the microwave and dry. When it came to the toast, this was either under cooked or burnt and the tea was like dishwater!! We were meant to stay for 3 nights but had enough after 2, all came away with bad backs and exhausted through lack of sleep. The staff need training in customer service and the hotel - if you can call it that - needs a complete make over to come out of the 1950's. It may be cheap but you got far less than what you pay for.

Room Tip: Dont go there !!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank BekshirePrincess
There are newer reviews for Laguna Hotel

Reviewed 28 May 2012

I honestly don't know where to begin...

Alright I came here on a stag do, and I know there are crowds of blokes who will wreck places, (me & my friends are quite civilised people so not a worry for us) however that does not mean they can't keep their hotel in a fit state.

The hotel looks like it hasn't been decorated since the 70s and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the last time it was cleaned.

Our room had mould in the corner, BBQ sauce stains on the wall, the floor was damp, the pillows were dirty, the bed covers had stains and the beds look like they were literally nailed together with whatever wood and nails the owners could find. One of the young lads on reception was extremely rude and had no people skills or a clue of what customer service is.

The bathroom was like a scene from a horror hostel movie based in Eastern Europe. The toilet & bath are about 30 years old and have been kept in an awful state. The water was impossible to balance and was either freezing or boiling.

The breakfast? Basic at best and the service again was terrible. One sausage, an extremely under-cooked rasher of bacon, dirty fried toast, an egg and about 3 baked beans! Then when the waiter brought the toast over, his hands were all over it.

The only saving grace was that we only spent about 10 hours in our rooms over the whole weekend and it was only a 10 minute walk in to town.

Hotels like this should be shut down and I'm amazed it can even be given 1 star. A "hotel" in the UK should never be in such a disgraceful state and it should be shut down. Get this place on tv and show it up for the disgusting shambles that it is.

Don't stay here, the street is cleaner.

• Stayed: May 2012
6  Thank Drewster83
Reviewed 24 May 2012

My son and i stay here, generally for the one night, every 2 months.
Ok, so the hotel is dated, the pillows are hard and the noisy lift, door slamming and late revellers returning after a 'session' in the town is rather annoying; but we love it here!
My son has Autism and so likes routine, familiarity and can be quite 'odd' to people that don't know him; but the staff at the hotel are fantastic and treat him like any other young kiddie and are very accepting and accomodating to his funny little ways. Even the chap that does the entertainment on a Saturday night lets my son get up and sing/dance etc.
It's only a short walk from the town centre and the beach front which is great for young and old alike.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank mum2twoHampshireuk
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Was a bit worried after reading the reviews but the hotel was better than I expected.We were picked up on time and all the coach drivers were very curtious and informative on the excurtions.the rooms were ok, bathrooms small but adequate. Biggest grumble were the pillows were hard!The meals were good, choice of 2 soups, 3 mains and 6 desserts and tea or coffee. Breakfast was good too - always extra toast or tea on request and out waiter was excellant - they worked so hard to keep us all happy at meal times. the staff multi task too - they serve in the bar after dinner and arrange all the bingo etc to keep quests entertained.Evening entertainment was good but no tthursday night - that was allfull - he needs to retire!!! It wasn't a four star hotel but we didn't pay fort star prices so my party of 6 were happy.Want to go back next year, so we were happy enough,It's what you make it.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank denise h
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I have just been to the Laguna for 6 nights, having used it for several years, and have seen very few changes in that time, including the decor. Tft tv's have now been fitted to the rooms, but very few of the freeview channels are available. The bed covers still seem to be the originals. Room was clean. Carpet in the bedroom had been ripped at sometime, and a poor attempt had been made to repair it by nailing it to the floor using 8 nails, with the heads still sticking out. Walls too thin, I was kept awake most of the 6 nights by a person in the next room with a bad cough. The whole room shook when they closed their door. For the last 3 nights of my holiday, I moved to a different table and was rewarded by being ignored by the waiters, who served the tables on both sides of me. On the last night, I got my starter course, with everyone else, and had my soup bowl collected, after waiting for 15 minutes, during which time everyone else had been served with their main course, and most had finished, I was still waiting to order. I had to stop a waiter, who was serving a dessert in order to get my main course, after which I complained to reception. I do not expect this from any hotel, I have been to quite a few and have not had this treatment in any others. The free wifi worked for about 5 minutes in 6 nights.

Room Tip: Think carefully, all of the doors slam very loudly, 2nd floor is the quietest.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Thornewell
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect after reading reviews! We were on a 6 day holiday where we were picked up from our town and taken to the hotel. We were in the main building.The room was clean but the bathroom was very small. We had a bath with a shower over it which was OK,but would have prefered a walk-in shower.The breakfasts were nice but the evening meals not so good,( though there was a choice), powdered soup mixed with water, main course usually a couple of wafer thin slices of Beef/pork/lamb with gravy and veg then sweet was mainly a choice of gateau. When we consider the price we paid we should not have expected much more. There were people there who have been several times and will go back again.Others have said you get what you pay for so if you don't pay a lot you shouldn't expect too much The staff are very nice and friendly, not sure about the entertainment as it started with bingo which put us off! Our friends had a room near us and had a walk-in shower, I think the rooms vary quite a bit but I think being clean is more important than patterned carpets,and we had lovely white towels. For a cheap break it was OK

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank SheilaMac66
Reviewed 2 April 2012

As a paying guest, I worked for free for them all night. Why? Our bedroom had been a reception office with a fire alarm volume school type door bell in the wall above our beds. From midnight, till 6 am i answered the door to drunk people, every ten minutes. there was no owner or management to be found EXCEPT ME AND I DON'T EVEN KNOW THEM. I WAS A PAYING GUEST. HEALTH AND SAFETY!! ALL THE MILK CARTONS HAD MOULD GROWING INSIDE...

Room Tip: go somewhere else please, unless you are using the hotel as a night club, and want to go to bed at a...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends