“Away day”

Ranked #47 of 132 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Away day”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Went down to Bournemouth as team was playing 1 of the local teams and couldn't get a hotel there for a good price due to boat show so opted to stay in Bournemouth. The hotel was easy to find and the we were welcomed by John who was helpful and and got us sorted fast. the group had 3 rooms family and 2 doubles, the family room was large and with 2 singles and 1 double was still spacious. The 2 double rooms were nice and clean only down side was bathrooms were a bit small but apart from that they were fine. The bed was comfortable to sleep on. It cost around £35pppn to stay which included breakfast which was lovely and sorted us out after a night out and ready for our 4 hour trip home.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank sburymozza

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We stayed in the hotel during the Air Show. So the price was a bit higher than usual, but it was same for the other hotels. The location is great for beach, garden and shopping area. The room was very clean with good size. Breakfast was fabulous with superb service and multi-choices. Wi-fi was free of charge...The only down side for us was carrying heavy luggages to the top floor and the fluffy blankets.

Overall, the staff are very friendly, and we enjoyed our stay!

2 Thank LWQQ
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I can not understand the negative comments regarding this hotel, some people just like a whinge!!
We as a family have stayed at this hotel over the years and have been truly satisfied. (Ages run from 85 years old to 13 years old. It is a really lovely friendly family-run hotel, the staff can not do more for you. We were very sorry that we did not see John when we first arrived and over the next couple of days as we are so used to him sat in the office greeting his visitors with a VERY warm welcome. We were soon to learn that he was in hospital quite poorly. As it is a family run hotel, obviously all the staff wanted to visit John in hospital but this did not reflect on their hospitality and attention to detail. The breakfast is excellentt and when we have had the evening meal that is excellent too. All meals are lovely and fresh and cannot be faulted. We have also stayed in different rooms over our time but have been very pleased with them all.
During our stay this time my Dad was taken seriously ill and required an ambulance. John was unknown to us just out of hospital himself but he responded to our plea for help and for that we are forever grateful. The staff could not have been more helpful. It is an excellent location. Right next to the gardens and pier. As far as the facilities go the sign outside the hotel reflects everything they can provide. IF YOU ARE NOT SURE YOU ONLY HAVE TO ASK!!
Will be back next year.

The Stoner family

1 Thank debbie s
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Overall the stay in the Kings Langley hotel was not horrific although it was not fantastic either. The hotel could not be faulted on cleanliness as rooms, apart from a couple of damp spots on the ceiling, were clean. They were however extremely dated and although a modern hotel does not mean you will have a better holiday, it does allow for a more comfortable stay. The bed was extremely uncomfortable and not in the best condition. It needs replacing and a new matress is a must!
The location was fantastic and the hotel was quiet and we did not hear any noise from other rooms during our stay. Location is however one of the few good points of this hotel. Another issue is the breakfast arrangement. 20 rooms all having breakfast within one hour in one room. It did not work! The tables were cramped and in order to move in and out other guests had to be disturbed from their breakfasts and get up to let you pass. A two hour slot for breakfast and less tables would probably make this arrangment slightly better? We also felt very sorry for the one lady trying to rush and serve breakfast. This was obviously a task too big for one! With her handing guests bundles of cutlery as too busy to lay the tables was a good indicator of this. We did have to give credit for the breakfast however as they were hot and good tasting. There was also a variety of choice. Fresh orange juice was provided and a water machine where you could help yourself. Although the water machine was situated between two close tables so it resulted in leaning next to guests trying to eat in peace!
During our stay we were not sure if we met the owners or not! A lady who was pleasant welcomed us but never saw the same person again. We were never really asked if everything was ok or who to talk to if we needed anything. We were shown our room and where to have breakfast etc but the swimming pool sign on the front of the house left us very confused!
Whilst we were there we heard another couple expressing similar views of their rooms and another family had asked to move. We were not sure of the circumstances of why they requested to change rooms, but we had the feeling that many guests shared the feelings of not being totally satisfied with their stay.
Overall, this hotel has good location and decent breakfast but if you want to be able to sleep in a half decent bed and be able to actually sit in peace at breakfast, then this is not the hotel for you. It is no where near a three star ( based on my extensive hotel experience) and would not say it is worth the price we paid. We were very thankful for find a hotel at such short notice, but came away wishing we had paid that bit extra to stay in the Travelodge down the road!

Room Tip: The Indian restaurant opposite was fantastic!
2 Thank lou-belle11
Lewsar, Owner at Liza Inn, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
I must confess that the timing of your stay did mean that you did not get the attention you deserved as a guest.  Unfortunately this was because I was unexpectedly taken into hospital and as we are a family run guest house everyone was a little preoccupied and not around as much as usual.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast - we do pride ourselves on our food.  Sorry you didn't feel that the dining room is large enough but I've not had this complaint before and realistically I have to work with the room I have.

As for the decor, we update as much as we can within the resources we have.  Not had comments previously on the beds - as you say, everything is spotless but if I receive more feedback on the quality of the beds then I shall endeavour to move these up the renewal programme when funds are available.

Not sure there is much more I can add, each guest is obviously entitled to their view and I am cheered that this guest had many positive things to add and on balance my reviews are very encouraging. John Warwick

Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I have just returned from my fantastic Hen weekend in Bournemouth. There were 18 girls in our party and my sister organised for us all to stay in this hotel. John could not have been more accomodating to our ever changing needs for rooms leading up to our stay. On arrival he was very attentive and helped to make our stay a memorable one. The rooms were clean and tidy, and of a good size...we had 6 of us in the one room! The bathrooms do vary in size and ours was a little on the small size, although fine for our requirements. The rooms were cleaned and tidied everyday which we had not been expecting. The breakfast staff were also very friendly and coped well with our large party. The location is great for beach and town which meant we did not have to pay extra for taxi's. I have already recommended this to friends and would definitely visit again. Great value for money.

Room Tip: Our room was at the front and had large bay windows
Dorset
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Really friendly hotel, with lots of character; we were all made to feel very welcome. There was a mix of guest types staying, so would suit all. Great breakfast choices, and good quality. Ideal location for Bournemouth town centre and beach.

3 Thank mollydorset34
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2012

we stayed here with our grandchildren for a 3 night break in August.I picked this hotel after reading the reviews, I don't think they were staying at the same hotel. The family bedroom needs a total refurbishment very run down. Mismatched bedding and old beds.torn wallpaper, mould on walls and on the curtain above the bed my 11 year old grandaughter was sleeping in. Breakfast was good, apart from mould on a peice of toast. the only good thing was the position. Near the beach and town.

1 Thank ann m
Lewsar, Owner at Liza Inn, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
As the proprietor of this family run guest house I always look forward to reading the reviews from our guests, many of whom have been visiting us for the fantastic beach side holidays for many years. I am so disappointed that these guests were unhappy with their stay. If only the guests had spoken to me I would have tried to rectify their concerns but unfortunately I was completely unaware of the concerns until reading the review - which is just too late. I have been an hotelier for almost 30 years and my success is because of my customer focus, I hope that my other guests would agree with this. I cannot comment on the toast as with fresh bread being delivered every day means that that loaf is long gone...... As for the decor, the rooms are cleaned daily by an experienced team of chambermaids and having checked the family room I cannot agree with the comments I have read. I do hope that this one review does not colour the opinions of future guests and I would urge future guests to talk to me if they have any concerns during their stay. I am always on-site and want to do everything I can to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. John Warwick