“Ok”

Ranked #31 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Somerset
“Ok”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 1-night in November as I was due in Bournemouth for a meeting. I didn't want to stay in the centre so we decided on this hotel.

The check-in procedure was excellent, Matt (I think that was his name!) was really warm and helpful which was a great start. Our room was a decent size but we had no view - just a flooded roof.

We decided to eat at the hotel in the evening as there was nowhere within walking distance to choose from (other than a Tesco Café!) but the choice of menu was poor. The price of £29 total for 2 people was a good offer but even if you chose not to do this offer the choices didn't increase.

Breakfast was ample; choice of continental and full English but the bacon, eggs and sausages were cold. I would return as there was nothing wrong with the hotel but it was just average - I wouldn't eat there though next time unless they add some options to the menu!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bchilds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
south west england
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I tend to find the review coverage here on Tripadvisor a bit....patchy and alarmist if I'm being honest so in retrospect it was very silly for me to be worried about the De Vere Village Hotel in Bournemouth on the basis that I'd seen that a number of people had given it one-star reviews.

If I'd actually read those scathing reviews, I'd have seen that the hotel received them on account of varied and diverse failings as 'slow service in the hotel bar' and 'the wifi's prehistoric' (and yeah, the internet connection is pretty slow, but it does work eventually and you don't have to pay for it, not like some places I could mention....TRAVELODGE....). And then I wouldn't have had to worry so much about having booked it.

It's a perfectly acceptable, if slightly soul-less, hotel in Bournemouth, far away from the town's seaside attractions, but very conveniently located for the town's ring-road, and thus within very easy reach of the New Forest - which is why we selected it. Yes, the selection of TV channels available in the rooms is bewilderingly limited - have they never heard of Freeview at the De Vere Village Hotel, we have to ask ourselves - but if you grew up in the 1970s, like I did when there were only the three channels ever to choose from, you tend to still be thankful when you find there's even a couple more than that (incidentally, the De Vere Village non-pay-per-vies TVs seem to receive about 15).

Being out of the centre of Bournemouth means you also avoid the absolute nightmare that is trying to park your car in central Bournemouth; having spent hours and hours driving round the centre of Bournemouth on a wintry Saturday night trying and failing to find somewhere to park, I feel we should all as guests be kneeling down and kissing the tarmac of the De Vere Hotel's capacious and free client car park on that score alone.

The rooms have what you'd expect hotel rooms to have in them (including tea and coffee and a kettle etc. - it's tidied away in the cupboard under the desk). It's generally clean and well-maintained - we noticed a streak of something dubious-looking on the loo seat shortly after we arrived, but reception sent someone to deal with it while we were out and then it was all fine.

This incidentally, was the first and last evidence we saw of any room maintenance staff having visted our room. We saw them in other rooms and out in the corridors all right but no-one attempted to come into ours after that - not a disaster in our case as we did only have a two-day stay.

So, the rooms haven't been freshly decorated, but neither they nor their furnishings are falling apart and everything's perfectly fine - and after some of the quirkily charmless independent alledged 'boutique hotel' holes-in-the-ground I've stayed in over the years, I find large, if maybe a bit souless, hotels like the De Vere Village much preferable. It has a pool, which the kids enjoyed immensely, a hot-tub that they also enjoyed until someone booted them out on health and safety grounds because apparently kids shouldn't go in hot tubs for some reason, and an all-you-can-eat breakfast served daily in a restaurant that's entriely too small to cater for the clinentel of a hotel of this gargantuan size if it's running at anywhere near full capacity. Expect queues at popular times at the weekend! But once you get there, like I said - all you can eat. And the brekky's varied with a selection of cooked items as well as other options, and I would say good.

The downside of the hotel that we found - and it is a very minor one - is it's a bit tricky to find if you're going for the first time. You drive in as if you're going into the Bournemouth Hospital (it's on the same site as the hospital, really) and the hotel's the big building up on the right. I could have avoided even this minor difficulty if I'd consulted a road map.

We went to the infamous slow-service bar and found it reasonably priced, not especially slow, and also perfectly all right.

I would certainly stay here again - and intend to do so in future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank draylon
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I visited this hotel recently with friends and our children. It was a very clean and comfortable hotel, The only issue I had was poor wifi in all areas of the hotel. The pool facilities were excellent with towels provided. The staff at the pool were willing to help.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights. It's a good hotel with good restaurant and bar and leisure facility. Just a couple of downsides. The internet connection is very slow. Reminds me of the old dial up! So don't expect to be able to steam something like Livefilm. And the tv's are poor. They are locked so you can't connect a DVD player or games console. And the channels are only the basic 1 to 5. Come on Village ... freeview has been available for years now!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Newcastle, UK
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on a Saturday and Sunday night with my husband while attending a family funeral in Bournemouth.

We stayed in a standard double. The bed was comfortable and they came with amenities you'd expect - tv, hair dryer, iron etc. the room was fine, if a little dated in decor, the sofa for example had a few stains on it.

I do think however for what we paid (£60 per room per night) that the other amenities in the hotel meant this was excellent value for a Bournemouth break. The pool and leisure facilities were first rate, there's a Starbucks on site and also the hotel bar was good too. We ate in both of these and enjoyed the food, drinks prices were reasonable for a hotel.

We only attempted breakfast on the Sunday morning, I think we must've timed it wrong and hit peak time so it was incredibly busy and the food quality suffered due to this.

I must add that I was impressed by the friendliness of the staff - in particular a maid who helped me into my room on the 4th floor when I couldn't get my key to work.

Location-wise there was lots of parking and it is easy to find given it's directly opposite the a&e department of the hospital - follow the hospital signs. (I did think the fact this was the view from our room slightly unfortunate given the reason we were staying in the area.)

• Stayed October 2013
Poole
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I work very near the village so you would think it would be somewhere to grab a good lunch, well I was very wrong on my first visit the place was very quiet and it was lunch time I ordered two burgers and chips as it was quiet I would think it would not be a long wait well it took me to complain twice for the food to arrive nearly 40 minutes later and there was only about 10 people in the place the staff that I complained too did not seem interested just kept saying it won't be long.
A few weeks later me a three others were passing and needed lunch between appointments so thought it can't be bad twice how wrong was I again the place was empty and it took nearly 30 minuets for some nachos and two sandwiches, speaking to people this place is known for the bad service and long wait for food stay away unless you like a wait

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed here as a party of 17 for a hen weekend and had a fantastic time.The hotel was very clean and rooms were well equipped with h leisure facilities being a savour by he end of a very busy weekend! Breakfast was plentiful, although there was always a wait for glasses for drinks and each morning had to ask for one from waiting staff a here were no clean ones.
The hotel is not within walking distance to Bournemouth shops, bars and beach but we knew this when booking; the bus is opposite and is £3.50 return or £13 in a taxi.
The bar and Starbucks was also very handy when not wanting to stray too far from he hotel.
Overall a great stay