“Tried the Restaurant - won't be returning!”

Village Hotel Bournemouth
Ranked #31 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I like service and this place didn't have a great deal of it! On arrival we waited for over 5 minutes to be seated, this appeared to be hard work even though the restaurant was empty. It took two people to look at a computer to find my name and then discussion about another tables order whilst they contemplated it!!! When being shown to our table another member of staff tried to intercept the waitress to have another discussion - absolutely rude! We were given two different menus and this took five minutes of umming and arring rather than just getting us two correct menus! Starters were ok from my point of view but my friends mushroom tart was just mushrooms in a pastry case! Our steaks were overdone and no one came to see if we were happy with our meal. I expect a check back even from the local pub when food is served! All in all it was embarrassing as i'd taken my friend there for dinner. The flower on the table was dead - it had probably been waiting for decent service! What a shame!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MandieT69
There are newer reviews for Village Hotel Bournemouth

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Just returned from a 1 night stay with hubby we were greeted by a lovely man on reception (Cammi) I think, he was brilliant couldn't be more informative or helpful, we had an upper deck room which was so comfortable the beds were lovely and didn't have the usual issue of lack of pillows there were plenty, we saw a Robbie Williams tribute act and had an amazing night the breakfast was lush and fresh orange juice with pulp certainly not cheap as another post said. This is worth every penny if not only for the lovely staff they were all willing to help but hats off to (Cammi) he made it for us will def return again and again, I honestly think anyone who complains about this place must have nothing better to do and maybe should go to the ritz or something cos I cannot fault this hotel :-))

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I have just returned from a 1 night stay at this hotel with my fiancé and don't have any real complaints about it.

We only paid £125 for the both of us and stayed in one of the upgraded "Upper Deck" rooms which was worth it for the AMAZINGLY comfy bed and duck down duvet/pillow alone making it home from home...definitely better than other dreaded hotel beds I have experienced before.

Check -in was easy and staff were all very pleasant and helpful- our room was clean and tidy (compact though) and the shower was powerful and warm...what more do you want or need for a one night stay?!

The hotel is in a great central location from Poole/Bournemouth and Christchurch and only 45 mins away from Portsmouth. There's a large Tesco extra right next door with relatively cheap fuel and lots of amenities close by. The hotel also has a Starbucks, a pub, a restaurant and a spa....so nothing short to do!

We didn't eat in the hotel in the evening but ventured into Poole Quayside for our evening meal (HIGHLY recommend the Hog House) but Breakfast was great- plenty of choice and cooked fresh (we were down early for it).

We will definitely be returning for a cheap getaway and a quiet weekend away.

Room Tip: Definitley upgrade to Upper Deck- the bed makes it worth it as well as Starbucks in your room!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed here from the 21st March-23rd March with my boyfriend. The exterior was as expected, bland brick building in an estate with the hospital in front and tesco behind (good for buying body wash etc if forgotten as our wall dispenser was empty). Inside, the overall feel was as if a brilliant gym and spa had decided to throw a few rooms and bars on the side too. The room was spacious enough but the duvet was thin and we needed the radiator and air con on most of the night. The bathroom was big but needed a few repairs/cleaning done.
On saturday morning we both used the spa, lovely treatments and the girls listened to what i wanted. Only downside was we could hear the classes from the gym so not a relaxing entrance. The breakfast was ok, we opted for continental as you cant really go wrong with pastries and yoghurt. Avoid the orange juice-warm and cheap!
Overall i think the hotel is adequate but not the De Vere standard i am used to having stayed in three others previously near Southampton, Warwick and Guildford.

Room Tip: Perhaps upgrade as apparently thicker duvets
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Have stayed in De Vere hotels a couple of times before, and have always been quite happy with our stay.I have to say that the Bournemouth De Vere did not meet the same reasonably high standards the others have done. the room was inferior to others we have stayed in, but was adequate. Bathroom was ok - body wash cannister attached to the wall in the bathroom rather than the usual small bottle of complimentary shampoo. Bed was ok, fold out bed for our children was not made when we got there but someone came to deal with it fairly quickly. Pool and sauna etc was again ok, but not great. Breakfast in the morning... horrific!! not sure how they manage to get so many basic things so wrong. there is nothing wrong with the service from the staff, but the English Breakfast really is nothing short of disgusting! How can you slice a tomato in half, and cook it, and get it so wrong?!!! Bacon was almost unbearable, and I love bacon. Beans were very unpleasant, and most of the other things available I was too afraid to try. Alll in all, it was an adequate hotel for the price (£69) but really it's a pool better than a travel lodge, and definitely not 4 star quality.

Oh, and there was a chicken carcass just across the corrider from our room for most of our stay!!! Along with other bits of debris on a plate. Not all that appealing, and I'm just glad our toddler didn't get his hands on it!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JeremyKitty
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I joined the tail end of a week course and was really pleased with everything about my room. Then I looked in the toilet and saw that it had not been properly cleaned and that was a huge turn off. I would have scored it 5 but for this.

The bed was wonderfully comfortable and the pillows were really soft and fluffy. I had a fantastic night's sleep.

The food was good but it lacked sophisticated flavour. Breakfast was not the hugest variety, but it was more than adequate and had more than enough to please me.

The course required syndicate rooms and these were well appointed and equipped but not without a few gremlins I hear! The tea and coffee facilities, cakes and biscuits were the best ever.

If you need to visit Bournemouth Hospital then it is a two minute walk from the hotel.

There is a fantastic bus service from here as well. It is east to get to Lymington, Bournemouth and best of all Salisbury on the X3. I used my bus pass for the first time!

The hotel were attentive and I am sorry that the loo let them down. I would love to come again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel from 15-18 march for a weekend getaway holiday! From the moment we arrived everything was perfect. We stayed in the upper deck rooms. Best room ive ever stayed in from England and abroad! Used both restaurants and food was lovely. Had steak in normal restaurant and it was the best ive ever had! Were given a free bottle of wine which was a nice touch. Used spa facilities and starbucks. Will definitely be returning soon..