“Great hotel, lovely gym and pool!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Village Hotel Bournemouth

Village Hotel Bournemouth
Ranked #33 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
england
“Great hotel, lovely gym and pool!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2010

The hotel rooms are very spacious with a lovely double bed and a small sofa to, bathrooms has plenty of room and good power showers, location isnt the best but only a very short drive to local villages and beach etc and almost next to a tesco if anything is needed. The food is good and the all you can eat breakfast is plentiful. The gym is good and the pool is gorgeous with low lighting and very peaceful and relaxing.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2010

Arrived at the Hotel late afternoon, check in straight forward and very informed by young American girl on reception.
Verve Grill-we ate here for 3 nights, one night was the 2 Ladies for £25 and the other two nights were Earlybirds, all three nights the food and service were excellent...Breakfast was also very good.
Pool area was as usual excellent, only slightly marred by some idiotic man who decided to wash his hair in the Jacuzzi.
Healthworks- Treatments were fantastic, girls were their usual lovely selves.
One nights sleep was spoilt for our friends you were further along the corridor than us bu some unruly young men who decided to have a all night party, my friends tried to call down to Reception on and off from 2am to 6am and could not get any reply, when they complained to the Duty Manager the next day he quickly did his best to make amends.
So well done Village another excellent stay :)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2010

Stayed for one night with husband and 2 boys aged 8 and 10. Arrived Saturday before 3.00 pm and was greeted warmly and told our room was ready. Asked if there were any functions and was told there was a Grease Tribute Night, but we were on the 4th floor so would not be disturbed by any noise. We had a sound night with no disturbances. Room was clean and spacious, bathroom spotless. After dumping our bags we went down to the Victory. It was about a quarter full and only one staff member so after having read the reviews I was a little worried about what might happen in terms of food/service. Staff member was polite and friendly and our food order arrived freshly cooked, hot and with no delay. The boys pronounced their burgers as the best they had ever had and they are comparing them to proper homemade or the sort of premium burger you would get in a restaurant chain such as Gourmet Burger Company. My husband enjoyed his burger and I had chosen ham, egg and chips on the premise that even the worst cook couldn't mess it up too much. I needn't have worried, it was fine. The standard of the food is that of normal pub food. Its not haute cuisine and does not aim to be, but what we had was well cooked and freshly prepared. The staff member as well as serving behind the bar, taking and serving food orders, also cleared the tables - all speedily and efficiently. Went swimming later in the afternoon and found the pool and changing areas to be clean and large. The pool area was sectioned off so that families could play in one half and the other had lane swimming only. There were toys and floats for the kids and a bright glass conservatory area with loungers where people could sit and read. We booked a table for dinner at the Verve Grill. I asked if it was busy and was told that a party of 20 had made a booking for 6.45 pm so with advice from the staff member decided on arriving at 7.45 pm so that the kitchen would have had a chance to deal with them first. When we arrived we were seated promptly at the table we had requested. Menus were brought immediately and we were also offered the children's menu as well. This turned out to be great value, for a main course, dessert and drinks with unlimited refills for approx £5.50. Again the boys enjoyed their food - mini chicken fillets in breadcrumbs with chips - bog standard kids fare, but the pudding was a proper, grown up chocloate fudge cake with ice cream, which was delicious. My husband and I shared a whole camembert baked in its box with freshly baked baguette and a very tasty chutney - delicious and more than enough for 2. I had grilled chicken with mash, gravy and veg which were all cooked well and my husband had sirlion steak which he enjoyed. The service was prompt, polite and attentive. My only criticism would be that the steaks are overly expensive. Again, this is not haute cuisine, the dishes are neither complicated or rely on very expensive ingredients and I think that these prices suggest a more upscale meal/experience than the restaurant is set up to deliver. Breakfast was excellent. Again we were seated promptly and the food was fresh and restocked as soon as the dishes were empty. Coffee was waiting for us before we had sat down after fetching our food. Tables were cleared and reset quickly. On Sunday we had a carvery lunch, which had to be the highlight and biggest bargin during our stay. The food was very well cooked, especially the vegetables which can be a bit hit or miss in this setting. The carver also brought out a fresh side of beef, without prompting, as when he offered me a slice I said that I preferred it rarer than the joint on offer. As at breakfast, staff did not keep people waiting and cleared and reset the tables quickly and were scanning the room on a regular basis to see if they were needed by any of the diners. Lunch service was busy. I had requested a late check out which meant we could have a swim then go back to the hotel room to shower, dry hair and pack at leisure before having lunch. This was well worth the extra £10. Some of the negative reviews made me think twice before booking, but the location and price proved too tempting and I initially thought we could always eat elsewhere, but as you can see from the review above it exceeded every expectation.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank TheLondonLady
Bucks
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2010

We were given a room on the 3rd floor at the front of the hotel. But unfortunately so were groups of foul mouthed teenagers. We complained about their language and noise in the hallways, which promptly ceased as they were now stood outside shouting and swearing. Clearly audible as we were directly above reception.

The staff were great and did everything they could including moving us to a 5th floor room at the back of the hotel. Unfortunately this was directly above the function room which was housing a very loud party.

This is no-ones fault as such. Just be warned you maybe sharing this hotel with stag/hen parties, touring rugby/foorball teams and corporate parties. Not ideal for a good nights sleep with a 3 yr old.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
North East
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2010

I stayed at Village Hotel week commencing 1st Feb. 2010 on business for two nights. I have previously stayed once before about 9 months ago too and found the experience to be the same. I will not be going again. The room, gym, pool and bed are all spot on which is why I chose the hotel again as this does me when working late on business. However other than that I cannot really give the place any more positives. Firstly it can be noisy, especially if you are anywhere near the gym, you can hear the music from 7am until after 10pm every night. The staff, although reasonably polite are not very efficient and this means whenever you want something it takes a long time.
The last time I stayed I ate in the restaurant one night and had fillet steak and cheese board and it was at best a 4/10 but charged 9/10 money. I also had room service one night and although it was cheap enough and one of the 'Chef's Specials' it was so bad I only ate about 1/5 of the whole meal.
Breakfast is average, again anything you need is very slow – I waited 15 minutes for a poached egg one morning when there was only 6 people eating. That said I generally found the staff at breakfast pleasant enough.
The final night I stayed I called somewhere on the way back to get take away as I wasn’t about to endure another night hungry. When I arrived back I rang reception and room service for a bottle of Wine on and off for 40 minutes from 8.30pm onwards and didn’t get an answer yet! It simply kept kicking into answer message – absolutely disgusting and unacceptable for the 21st Century, you don’t get that at the Hilton, Holiday Inn or even Best Western.
I went down for breakfast one morning and went back to my room to collect my Computer but couldn't get in. I walked back down two flights of stairs and waited in a queue for 5 minutes to have my key card re-swiped. I went back up to the room and it still didn't work. Anyway, long story short after 4 times of doing this and dealing with a snotty young girl at the desk who never apologised yet, I eventually had to wait for maintenance ho advised the battery was dead in the key lock. He was very professional and the problem was sorted when I returned 13 hours later from work. The girl at the desk originally asked me if I had the card anywhere near a mobile phone, I said probably as it had been in my pocket near the phone clip I have on my belt. She seemed to think that alone could damage the card????!!!! I thought to myself I may have been born a night but not last night! Shine a light!
Not mentioning any names but I work for a very large blue chip company that employees tens of thousands of people across the world. I intend to ensure our booking agent is aware of my experience and as such ensure this Hotel doesn’t get on our ‘preferred list’.
I would not recommend this Hotel to anyone as there as simply too much choice and competition out there.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank BearparkBomber

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

New Forest
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2010

If you love waiting for service whist lazy staff stand around this is the place for you. If you like to feel that your customer experience is to be seen as a valued customer than skip the Victory Pub. It is a shame because the venue has in it's favour a nice easy access car park and comfortable surroundings but this can't compensate fro the poor customer service.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank NForest5
reading, berkshire, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2010

Do yourselves a favour and DO NOT eat at the pub attached to this hotel. I went for the steak and ale pie with mash thinking home cooked what a joke!!!! - the meal arrived in 5 mins (always suspect) the pie was of the bought variety it must have been microwaved within an inch of its life because the outside was of a temperature that could be eaten but as i thought it was cool enough to go ahead and eat it the middle exploded in my mouth giving me blisters for a week - HORRIBLE!!!! and who serves what tasted like powdered mash and puts gravy with salad The Victory - if you stay here save your money around £9.00 for a mains and seek somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends