“Not brilliant, but not as bad as I expected!”
Review of Kensington Hotel

Kensington Hotel
Ranked #122 of 132 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
“Not brilliant, but not as bad as I expected!”
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in August 2013 as part of a stag weekend. I payed £170 for the whole weekend (including events), so I guess the hotel didn't cost a lot for the two night stay.
"Just as well!" I thought, having read some of the previous reviews on here. I certainly arrived feeling a certain amount of trepidation about my stay.
However, apart from one incident (my friend, after trying to make a coffee in his room and finding that the milk was curdled, asked at the breakfast room for a coffee at 8:25 a:m, and was told by a rather stroppy lady (I'm assuming the owner) that he would "have to wait till breakfast started at 8:30 a:m, and that the milk in his room was "probably curdled because it isn't used very often") the rest of our stay was what you would expect of a budget stag weekend hotel.

Some key points;
-The rooms weren't the cleanest
and were in need of a little TLC,
but were ok as a base for the
weekend. The beds were comfy,
if lacking in the cleanliness dept'.
The bathrooms were also clean
and after the initial "orange water"
from the taps, things cleared up.
The showers were also warm, if
lacking in pressure (if you have a
mate with an electric shower, use
theirs). I'd also recommend taking
your own towel as the hotels
(whilst clean) had seen better
days.

-The public areas were clean and
tidy, and I was particularly
impressed with the tourist
information on offer in the
reception area. The restaraunt
area was also clean and tidy as
was was the bar area. The
garden area off the bar was well
maintained.

-The food (breakfast only) was of
an acceptable standard and
although the portions were small
there was a varied choice of
cereals, fruit, and juices as well
as well as ample toast, tea, and
coffee.

-The staff (apart from the one
Incident above), were fairly well
presented. Contrary to other
reviews, our £25 deposit was
asked for politely and the
receptionist (although a little
quiet), was polite and
professional. The young lady who
served us breakfast was friendly,
attentive and a credit to the hotel,
and even (I'm assuming) the
owner had a smile on our last
morning.

All in all, this isn't a hotel I'd visit with my family, or spend any length of time at.
As a short stay base for stag and hen parties, it probably hits the nail on the head though. Just spare a thought for the staff who, with this in mind, probably have their fair share of problems to deal with.
LUCKY OUR GROUP WAS ONE OF THE QUIET ONES

• Stayed August 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Recently stayed here on a hen weekend. After ready other reveiws was slightly worried. but although rooms are dated and could do with an update found it to be clean and had a decent nights sleep. breakfast was also ok.all in all your getting what you pay for

• Stayed July 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013

The hotel is far from being a palace very dirty outdated the rooms are very poor shower stayed cold and only dribbled out water at best the breakfast was very poor and we had to give £25 deposit each I case of breakages I couldn't find £25 worth of stuff to brake in the Ron overall don't bother booking avoid

Room Tip: Try the premier inn Bournemouth avoid this place
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

very good venue for hen party - - rooms were clean - you have to pay a deposit of £25.00 per person in case of damage!!!! receptionist could do with a little smile on her face and have a bit of personality installed. When you arrive at any hotel a nice greeting is part and parcel of you first impression!! She difnately needed a course in customer care!!

this was organised by a hen party planner. A letter of total disattisfaction had ben lodged. Dont book with Hen Heaven as this is the company that use this hotel!!

Room Tip: there isnt any
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Essex
Reviewed 16 April 2013

After a weekend staying here I would not recommend this "Hotel" to anyone!

The Welcome? What welcome? As soon as we arrived the manageress demanded to know who was in charge! We didn't even get a simple hello or a smile! The whole of our party were just shocked and felt like we had to stay in silence like school children! She then demanded a deposit which was extortionate for what the rooms included.

On arrival to our rooms, the first thing you notice is the floor, the carpet to be precise! It looked as though it had be ripped out of a grotty old pub! Bed linen was faded, old and smelt extremely disgusting. The beds were uncomfortable, every time you moved you got jabbed by a spring. After a day of travelling you just want to refreshen up yes? NO not here you can't. You turn on the shower to have the water trickle out, not even enough to was your hands!!! And hot water?? You would have better luck if you went back 500 years! That might have had some! At this point we went down to find the manageress at the desk, but no she wasn't there, we called the numbers, no body answered. We wondered down to the bar.....oh look there are some of the workers!!! We asked about the hot water they said they would put it on (it should have been on it the first place). An hour later still no hot water, so we got given another room key this was worse, water came out if the shower but it was ORANGE.

The manageress talks to you like a piece of rubbish, disgusting hotel, should have been shut down years ago. Better of anywhere, ANYWHERE else!!! You have been warned!!!!.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
2 Thank Steph W
Loughton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Upon arrival, the manageress demanded to know who was in charge, the girl who was in charge hadn't arrived yet, so she took the deposit without a smile, please or thank you which I thought was very basic customer service skills. When the other girls did arrive, she was no where to be found, she finally came up, no apology or smile insight. Once we got to our rooms, we immediately started finding undesirable issues i.e. pubic hair in the sink, shower, sofa and beds. The bed sheets were stained (with what I will leave to your imagination), they smelt disgusting and had obviously been there a very long time with no TLC. There was no hot water at all! I complained to a staff member twice, the first time he switched the hot water on (apparently it comes on automatically at 5pm) the second time he put me in a one bedroom room with the smallest shower I have ever seen. After the shower my friends bought down a cup of orange water with brown floating bits in it that they had ran from the sink where I had showered (we have picture evidence). In the other two rooms that we were with their showers barely worked, so I was lucky to actually have one.
The manageress is the rudest person I have spoken to in a while. With her it is one rule for one and another rule for someone else. I had a bit of a disagreement with her and after this is marched myself and my sister back to our rooms. She made us feel like children, not paying guests. She should not be working in the customer service industry at all! I cannot describe the level of rudeness. The other staff members didn't seem to know what was going on at all.
The rooms were old, dated and smelt disgusting. Creaky floors, broken furniture (wardrobe). The towels were supplied with were fraying badly (again we have pictures) and should not have been supplied to guests! The cutlery at breakfast was dirty, the breakfast was grim, the first day we tried to make a cup of tea and the milk separated the moment it mixed with the tea. Loud neighbors not dealt with (one man running around the hotel at 5am banging on his friends door). You're not trusted to take the key out of the hotel and when collecting bags from my car to take to my room I had to explain myself to the manageress of why I took the key outside!
I will never go to this hotel again, I will be complaining to the travel group that booked it for us. Worst stay, I really urge people not to go here. I'm surprised that it is still running!

1 Thank CatJ93
Shanklin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I am a level headed person who will give almost anything a chance but after a weekend at the Kensington "hotel" I really felt the need to warn people - RUDE manageress, no hot water, grimy rooms, pubic hair left in bathroom, creaky floors, dated decor and sub-par beds.

I ran the water from my rooms bathroom sink today and it came out brown/orange with sediment inside. Picture proof if required!

The manageress talks to young female guests as if they are children and not the paying adults that she is attempting to accommodate.

I really would never wish this hotel on anyone - we were booked in by a hen party planner and will be writing to complain to them as well - please heed my advise and just run for the hills - book in somewhere (literally anywhere) else!!!

• Stayed April 2013