“4 days in bournemouth”

The Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #68 of 134 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Very nice public rooms.
The bedroom was a very good size but the bed was so large [two singles zipped together] that we could not open the wardrobe without moving it
The included breakfast was excellent.

2  Thank joyceGillinghamKent
EastcliffProject, Manager at The Ocean View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2013

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor, delighted that you had an enjoyable stay. Rare that we get the complaint from the bed being too large, rather that than too small, but we'll look at the bedroom and see if we can move the beds further from the wardrobes. You may want to register for our newsletter to keep up to date with all our promotions and special offers. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Ocean View Hotel in the near future. Best wishes.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

I had to find a hotel very quickly and found the ocean view online. We got a nice room with a brilliant view. Staff were exceptionally nice and the brekkie was one of the best I had sampled at a hotel of this standard.

Shower wasnt very powerful and there was a little bit of damp on the window but apart from that very comfortable, peaceful and warm. I would probably stay again. Grab some snacks though as I asked for chocs and they did'nt have any (not that hotels often do) but I think in my mind I thought they may have a vending machine or something. Staff were so wonderful, polite and caring. very very please

Room Tip: we chose an ocean view which I would recommend. I am a terrible sleeper and got a brilliant nights s...
2  Thank nicola_kelleher

Delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Ocean View. We are very lucky to have such superb views and being at the end of the hub of hotels we do have a quieter location. Thank you for your comments regarding the staff, we'll be sure to pass on your comments. I think the suggestion of chocolates / more snacks available is a great idea and will be something that we hope to introduce over the coming weeks. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you to the Ocean View or Cottonwood Hotel sometime soon.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stopped in Bournemouth overnight at the start of May. Popped into reception on the off chance of a room and they had one (211). Was £100 for room for night and £16 for two breakfasts.

The room looked great, however the double bed was very small (and squeeky *blush*) and the walls are VERY thin. There was a double and two singles so perect for a family to stop in.

Shower gel, soap and hand cream provided along with towels, hair dryer, tea, coffee, sugar, milk pots and kettle.

Breakfast was great and have to say one of the best sausages :) cooked, cereal, fruits and pastries provided alongside juice, tea and coffee.

On the downside, bar was closed in our hotel and we had to pop next door to sister hotel for evening drinks.

Very close to beach, you can walk down the zig zag and you are there.

Parking was free, but hit and miss, you can also use sister hotel next door as well.

Would I stay again, yes I would as its in a good location and I slept well.

1  Thank Samphire67

Delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Ocean View and thank you for your comments. W Our location of the cliff top is rather enviable and being at the quiet end of the East Cliff we offer a more relaxing and peaceful ambiance. Chef will be pleased you enjoyed your breakfast, well worth spending that little extra for. You may want to join our monthly newsletter and be kept up to date with our monthly promotions and events, simply log on to our website for more details. www.theoceanview.co.uk.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

After reading reviews & booking this hotel I couldn't wait for my five day break there . And after walking into reception the look of the place was all very Deco , just whet I had hoped for . However once in the room thing did take a turn for the worse , while a very good size the double bed was very small and where ever you walked in the room the floor boards creaked noisily , the walls were wafer thin and the bathroom was very cramped as you sat on the loo and as for the shower that fed off the bath taps , while the water was hot it hardly had the ompff to push its way put of the shower head , the room over looked the sea which was great however at night the street lights stayed on all night and the curtains were so thin and useless that they may as well not been there . All that aside the breakfast in the morning was very good and cooked to order with many pastries and cereals as well as croissants and juice . Unfortunately the pool was being cleaned so that was out of use . As for the location just two minutes from the beach and just a 10 minute stoll into the city centre it could not be more perfect . One word of warning here is that when we were there on friday night and the hotel seemed to attract the Stag / Hen do crowd , a group was in a room down the corridor who were very drunk & very loud and with the time of night ( around 2.30 am ) a few tempers got flared and a few voices were raised . While I agree that you are not paying Top Dollar for this hotel it really does need a lick of paint and a pair of decent curtains to make you want to return , while it does have many nice Deco features surly they could of fixed it up from the since 1930s

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor and I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay. We do have a superb location on the cliff top and would always recommend booking a sea view and like our breakfasts, it is well worth spending that little extra. We do have squeaky floorboards and the bedrooms / bathrooms are a variety of different sizes and shapes, but something that we will not be changing. We are currently looking into improving upon the curtains and shower fixings where possible. best wishes.

Reviewed 26 April 2013

I booked this hotel back in January and managed to get it for £70 for two nights, without sea views. The actual rooms are a decent size and were clean, beds are comfortable and there is plenty of storage space. In your room tea and coffee is supplied. The bathroom is not very big, but is of adequate size, plenty of towels were supplied which were clean. Staff were polite and helpful and the car park is a reasonable size which is free to park in, though I wouldn't want to try and get a space when the hotel is busy.

I would say those are the positives. Some of my friends that I went with paid quite a considerable amount more for the hotel, up to £150 abet this was with sea view. For the standard of the accommodation I wouldn't of wanted to pay anymore than I did. The hotel does creek a lot, sound insulation is poor between floors and rooms, and the hotel is dated it could really do with a complete refit to bring it up to modern day standards because it is in a good location. It appeared that the majority of people staying here were pensioners, though I did see a few families. On booking in I had to wait 10 minutes for anyone to show up at reception and it was the same situation when I was booking out which was frustrating. If staff need to go and do other jobs or the hotel isn't that busy I don't have a problem with that, but they should have a bell or something so you don't have to stand around in limbo.

Bournemouth has a lot of hotels and if I come back again I would probably choose another, especially at the price bracket they're charging.

Room Tip: Try to go for a room on a higher floor to avoid noise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Had a lovely stay at this hotel, friendly staff, a a hotel with great decor, lovely breakfast with an extensive choice even for vegetrian diets and plenty of fresh fruit on offer. The Bar was lovely and well stocked and great views of the coast,

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2013

managed to get a great deal for the week leading upto easter and must say that although the weather was cold the Ocean View was great, hotel was a little dated in places but we had a great sea view and the room was a good size. the receptionist was very helpfull giving us codes for the free wi-fi etc, the hotel is also in a great location between both of the bournemouth piers. if i was being really picky the only thing i didn't like was there was carpet in our bathroom but i always wear slippers in hotel rooms anyway, but as i say this is being picky, for what i payed for the room it was a bargain and i would return.

Room Tip: we had room 208 on the second floor, it had two windows with a panoramic sea view
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple