“Friendly, stylish hotel, yes maybe a little faded around the edges but I loved it!”

The Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #67 of 131 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed at the Ocean View Hotel last night and really liked the place. Somebody with lovely taste has done up the communal areas very stylishly. The gold wallpaper and mirrors and pretty little touches made it nice to spend time in. I enjoyed a happy hour with my feet dipped in the lovely pool (really clean and attractive terrace) The waitress bought me out a pot of coffee and a cool drink and crisps, they were very reasonably priced and the waitress very obliging.

All the staff I met were really good, they were professional and friendly too. My room was a sea view one and one of the last ones they had available as I booked mid afternoon of the day I was going. It was very clean, plenty of really hot water and my bed was comfy. It was fab being able to have the sea air blowing into my room all night.

The bathroom carpet did smell a bit of wee and I got the impression this may have been one of the rooms they were working round to refurbishing. Having said that the room itself was really clean.

This is one of those hotels you can really relax in, not like some of the 4 and 5* hotels that feel like being in your stuck up auntie's house,snarling at you if you put your glass down without a coaster. It is Stylish but relaxed and homely.

I will stay again, thank you Ocean View :-)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed here for one night over the Easter weekend and managed to get the "discounted" rate of £95 per night which for the facilities and state of the hotel is disgraceful. We chose the hotel because of a function being held there and the convenience of staying on site.
Firstly the car park is miniscule and you do not have a hope if you arrive late afternoon early evening. Reception...they say first impressions are everything and this is not good. It is tiny and scruffy - I thought this was a doorman's desk and the reception was elsewhere. Check in staff unhelpful.

The room we were allocated was awful. It was tiny, so small that one of us had to stand in the bathroom while the other changed or moved about. There was just no room to swing a cat. The furniture was something out of a 1970's junk sale, tatty old laminated wood. The draw on the bideside unit would not stay closed until I wedged it shut with cardboard.

Service was poor. Beware if you want a meal in the hotel. In the room there is information about meals that can be purchased in the bar up to 9.00am. However when we tried this we were told they did not do food - we could try their sister hotel next door if we wanted. No offer of finding out if we could get a meal there - we had to walk around ourselves only to find out that we should have pre-ordered and so nothing available. Anyway thanks to Domino's for delivering..no thanks to the hotel staff as no one offered any help, despite us having two 80 year olds in our party.

I am afraid this just reminds me of a poor run down British sea side hotel overcharging because of it's proximity to the beach. The sooner these are upgraded the better - they could learn a lot even from the budget hotels around the country.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank peterstoneboy
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The hotel on arrival seemed small, a tiny little reception desk but staff were polite.
The room itself was 203, spacious, light with a few faults.
The room had no air conditioning and it was a very hot couple of days, by opening the windows only filled the room with flies as the large lights to illuminate the hotel at night were right under my window, which was also an issue when sleeping as curtains were thin with gaps at the side and the small side window had no curtains at all.
The breakfast was tasty and hot, lots of selection and the hotel decor itself was nice but not sure who laid the carpets. Very creaky floors too so i could hear every step the person took above me and i am sure those underneath me would say the same.
Great view from the window and the pool look well maintained and clean.
Would have preferred proper shampoo rather than HAIR AND BODY which was in large bottles in the bathroom.
The sister hotel next door was a boutique hotel, good food 12pm-7pm in bar area but pricey.
Great decor in this hotel too.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room or book one as they are worth it for the view itself. Some room also have ve...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My husband booked last minute as a treat for me & I definately couldn't have been happier (well only by having a bit softer bed). Beatrix on reception checked us in with a smile & gave us a great room overlooking the sea & the pool, where I found a card from the staff, lovely personal touch... thank you all very much! The room was large, but slightly tired, although clean & we couldn't complain for the price. The lounge/bar was large & overlooked the pool, but there wasn't ever anyone in it? The pool area was a suntrap & the sea was only a few minutes down the cliff path, about half way between Bournemouth & Boscombe Piers. Overall a great relaxing break, we'd love to return, especially if the hot sunny days could be repeated :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We were welcomed with a fantastic lady on arrival called beatriz as she was more than happy to help with any difficulties or trouble we had with our booking through laterooms.com which was our own fault, she helped us and gave us the most fantastic rooms with stunning views!

The rooms were immaculate and well presented! Any angle you look through the window you see clear blue seas and sky!

The location is perfect with a romantic feel and a lovely walk into the town centre. The bar and swimming pool were perfect size and we'll maintained

Overall we are overjoyed and happy that we received such amazing customer service from a great team, with the help of a lovely receptionist Beatriz,

I would highly recommend this hotel to families and Friends and couples that are looking to get away as we were!

Thank you ocean view hotel we were amazed :)

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed at The Ocean View Hotel for the weekend for an event. Staff are friendly, the food was excellent both evening and breakfast lots of choice. Had a room overlooking the sea which was great view. Only downside is the room quality. Very old, although new wallpaper the bathroom had fixed shower head you can't move, old looking, broken window. The bathroom floor was ripped at the lino. The bedroom had burn and carpet marks and looked old. Needs a good modernise in the rooms to bring into the 2014 era in my opinion. The lift was something from the 1940's. You can tell it is a dated hotel. However, service great, food excellent, overall a pleasant stay!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian C
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The location of this hotel is great, lovely views and very easy access to the beach just in front of the hotel.

We booked a standard double room the day of arrival, very last minute so weren't expecting anything great. We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived and found we had a sea view room. I would suggest anyone staying here upgrades to a room with a view!

The staff here were very friendly, although we didn't eat at the hotel we did eat at their sister hotel next door. The food here is great - would definitely recommend.

The hotel rooms need a complete upgrade - very dated. The bedding wasn't very comfortable and the bath was very stained. It was clean but just very old and tired looking.

This hotel could be very nice overall if they would spend some money on it as the location is just lovely.

Basic hotel - would only stay again for the location and restaurant in sister hotel next door.

Room Tip: Definitely get a sea view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple