“Nice, relaxed break at the Ocean View”

The Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #66 of 132 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Fancied a trip with the family down to the Bournemouth Coast, so we took our chances on the Ocean View.

Family room was booked for two nights and upon arrival we were met by the very friendly and accommodating staff. Parked our wagon in the small car park and headed to the room.

The lift was straight out of a 1960's spy movie, much to the delight of Junior. The room on the third floor was decent size but with a TV smaller than a laptop monitor. Never mind, we're not in town to watch the half a dozen channels it has. Our double bed was actually two singles put together and was actually very comfortable. Floor was creaky, wallpaper needed a bit of attention but it all added to the charm.

The view however was superb. Clear, uninterrupted vista of the horizon.

Junior was taken by the small but adequate outdoor pool which was being used by a number of families making the most of the fading sun.

If it wasn't for a wedding in the hotel next door on the first night, it would have been extremely quiet. Good nights sleep by all parties!

Breakfast time and the fare on offer was just what the doctor didn't order! Proper full English buffet for the hard core but a decent continental selection for those lacking conviction.

Overall, we had a great break and left the Ocean View relaxed and rejuvenated.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank George P

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I often go away by myself just to chill and relax without having to travel too far, so chose a three night stay in Bournemouth as I hadn't been for years - in fact about 20.

On check-in, the friendly receptionist took my details and gave me a pass for my car which fortunately found a park in the fairly small car park outside the hotel. Not sure what I would have done otherwise as the surrounding areas are ticketed,

Things were looking good as I walked through and saw the fairly modern and well decorated lounge area. As my room was on the third floor and I had an awkward piece of luggage to carry, I chose to use the lift, which is straight out of 1962. You have to open the door once the lift has arrived, and inside is a slightly musty smell with walls which are the originals. Now, I'm all for a bit of retro, but this is more 'hasn't been touched since 1962' rather than 'lovingly restored from 1962', if you get my drift.

My room was at the end of the corridor (I think it was number 302 - don't quote me on that though) and almost looked as if it was an annex or similar.

On opening the door, my heart dropped a little. The room was dated. I felt like I'd gone to stay with a slightly mad Auntie whose spare room still held it's original furnishings because, despite they're dated ugliness, she felt "There's a good few years left in them yet, dear". Upon closer inspection, the bedding, the room and the bathroom were all clean, so I really didn't feel I had much to complain about as the reason I didn't like it was because the decor was not to my taste and very dated.

On the first night I slept really badly. My room was warm, and the windows didn't open very far. As I wasn't on the Ocean front side, there was little in the way of breeze coming through. But my biggest problem was not necessarily the hotel's fault. I was actually a little bit scared. The room and it's decor and the 'old auntie' feel to it all was giving me the creeps, and therefore I didn't feel comfortable sleeping on top of the bedding, so had it swaddled around me (to protect me from anything scary jumping on me in the middle of the night... I know... I know... my imagination was going a bit mad at this point).

Come morning, I went for a long bike ride and a bit of yoga and gave myself a strict talking to. I didn't choose to have breakfast at the hotel, so can't comment on what it was like.

I spent the afternoon by the pool, which was quite nice. The pool needs a little bit of maintenance on some of the tiles, but that didn't bother me at all. It's one of those things that you could imagine people posting picture of with comments like 'Tatty tiles!' and being all outraged, but I felt the water and the surrounding areas were clean.

I then had the genius idea to ask the reception if they had any fans (I know - I'm a genius!) so I could attempt to sleep on top of the bedding and not freak myself out again. They proudly confirmed that they did have a fan, and bought it up to my room for me. What it actually was was a blow-heater. Not really a desk fan or oscillating type fan. It was about as effecting as someone blowing air onto you, but I appreciated their attempt to cool me down.

I slept better the second and third night. Not really due to the fan blowing a smidge of air on me, but more because I'd got use to mad Auntie's decor and therefore wasn't freaking myself out quite so much. It was still too warm, but I coped.

I assume the plan is to do up all the rooms to a level which complements the communal areas? If so, then I imagine I would give this hotel another try. However, if I was in the same type of room I was during this stay, I wouldn't.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed here for two nights as a break away for my partners birthday. When we arrived they had put a card in the room for him which I thought was a lovely touch ! The room was very nice and clean with a sea view. Staff were friendly and would do anything to help on request. The pool was very good and the bar was very reasonably priced for drinks. Over all we really enjoyed our stay and will defo return. The only thing that we thought was a let down was the breakfast wasn't very tasty and over priced for the standard.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kate655
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Booked this hotel at the last minute whilst on the road so didn`t really get a chance to do any research. Have to say I`ve never experienced anything quite like this. The place reminds you of a shabby 1920`s museum which is more than likely the era when this hotel was last decorated. The hotel is in need of major renovations. Our room had a massive hole in the wall and was very dated in all aspects.

We went out for food as having seen the hotel didn`t fancy staying in for dinner as not sure we`d still be alive after it. In which case you need to go to the hotel next door anyway.

When we returned to the hotel after dinner we decided to go to the bar. It then appeared as though we`d been transported into a starring role in a new version of Fawlty Towers. First there was nobody serving at the bar at 9.45pm. When we went to the reception to ask about what was happening the receptionist said the barman would be along soon i.e.he wasn`t scheduled to start until 10pm. When the barman finally appeared just before 10pm he didn`t know what a fresh orange or a lager shandy was to which I had to explain. I then paid for my drinks only to be told there was no change in the till and that he would need to owe me the money.

Various other comedy moments in the bar with the barman giving a women her change only to ask for it back as he thought something was wrong only to realise there wasn`t. John Cleese would have struggled to write this script.

We thought the Ocean View was for overspill of the other hotel hence why it was so bad in all aspects but suspect we were wrong.

I parked my car in the sister hotel`s car park as the Ocean View`s car park was full. . When leaving I could hear a lot of shouting coming from the reception. It was an angry guest threatening to get his lawyer so I guess the sister hotel was just as bad.

Overall I`d give this place 2/10 only because of the location. Truth be told you`d need to be off your head to stay here.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Craig H
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Starting with the negatives, I requested a particular room beforehand (a fancy looking one from the pictures which also had a sea view balcony) and was promised this due to it being my partners birthday. This request was not met and we were given a bog standard room worth 1/3 of the price!

The floorboards were so damn creaky that we found ourselves creeping to the loo at night so as to not wake our little one up! This wasn't even easy to do as the room ("double sea view") could have in my opinion been slightly bigger, especially as it needed to accommodate a cot. It was more like an oversized Single with all the random and useless furniture (£1 shop chest of drawers, plastic see-through dressing table chair and blue dated armchair).

The shower pressure was very minimal and the hot water stopped running after around 5mins!

They advertise Wifi, but that was some type of myth as it did not work at all anywhere!

They also ask for a £5 deposit per towel for the pool, so prepare yourself for this.

On a more positive note, I paid for a Romantic package directly with the hotel which included a very delicious dinner for 3 (baby also included which was a surprising plus), varied breakfast (which you can have bought up to your room), rose petals, Prosecco, handmade chocolates and dove towels all for one night only.

It would have been nice to just have the dinner at the hotel, but food is only served at their sister hotel, The Cottonwood Boutique. This however was place was lovely to dine, and it had a warm atmosphere despite not being full. The live music there was brilliant and to top it all off, the staff at both hotels were very helpful and genuinely willing to help.

Room Tip: Avoid room 204 if you don't want to creep aound creaky floorboards.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel is very dated...with the exception of the bar area. We were in a room facing the road and side /back area of the hotel. Bed bases looked like they were taken off a skip...two single bases moved together to make a double....one of bases was covered with material which was stapled onto it.....mattress bit hard.....red runners on the bed had fluff on them....room carpet looked disgusting.....very old....
Looked grubby! Shower n bath water slow running..shower drain blocked.....n toilet poor! Floors very creeky....n noisy..

Positives....close to beach....pool is family friendly

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Communal areas are nice. Room was the worst I have every stayed in. The bathroom is carpeted with carpet soaked in urine. The mattress will give you a back ache as it is ancient. The management are terrible. I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Every floor board on every floor creeks, You can hear every sound. Tired, dirty, uncomfortable room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple