“My best 'dressed' trip - ever”
Review of The Bondi

The Bondi
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bournemouth
The Bondi
Ranked #106 of 131 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Finding a place to stay that will totally accept my 'Female' side, has always been fraught with danger! The Bondi was highly recommended by many of my friends on the 'scene' as a place that was not only tolerant, but went out of their way to be more supportive and friendly than any other place I've stayed in.

Jan has done an amazing makeover job on the place and the overall effect is rather stunning - especially the staircase! The rooms are lovely and comfortable.

Because of how nice the Bondi is now, I will have now hesitation recommending it and I sincerely hope that instead of reading some of the rubbish here on Trip Advisor, you instead look at their websites guestbook.

Speaking for myself, it is a lovely, friendly place and I will stay there everytime I go to Bournemouth (about once a month)

Simona X

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank simonaagreenwich

Reviewed 16 July 2011

Lovely hotel, like you've walked into someone's home. Staff were so friendly and kind.

The only things that let down this place were the size of the room, slight difficulty with two people getting ready to go out. The shower was dreadful too, needs a power shower desperately.

Great location and price and it was clean and contemporary plus free wifi. At the end of the day you get more for your money on this place and the staff were amazingly friendly - best service ive had in a long time.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Kilby64
fuzzbox, Owner at The Bondi, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2011

Dear Kilby.

Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review of The Bondi. We appreciate your kind comments about us and our guesthouse.

We do however take a couple of small issues to heart. The Bondi is a mid-terrace Victorian house and therefore the rooms tend to be of a comfortable size rather than overly spacious.
By making the rooms all en suite which everyone wants these days, cuts down the size of the room. Everyone seems to forget this fact when making their comments. We can't have it both ways unfortunately.
As regards the showers, they are all totally brand new and spotless and working perfectly.

Kind Regards
Jan

Reviewed 3 January 2011

We saw the scary reviews here, but they were in 2008 and the hotel has undergone renovation since then, plus we had recommendations in an Internet chat room so decided to give it a go for the New Year – we are not on the gay scene a lot and thought it would be nice to be mixing with other gay folks.

Big mistake.

On the positive side the room we were in (number 2) was newly decorated, had a Freeview TV with DVD and was clean.

Conversely it’s a good job there wasn’t a cat there, as there was no room to swing it. The room was really tiny with barely room for a double bed. Storage for two people was a three drawer bedside table (usual 15-18 inch size) and a coat rack with four hooks and four coat hangers. It was even difficult living out of our bags as there was barely space to put them on the floor. The en-suite was tiny with insufficient knee room in front of the toilet. My companion described the water flow from the show as like using a plant mister.

When we booked, it was explained that they were not providing breakfast as the dining room was being refurbished, although we saw no sign of that – we were not offered a reduction for having no breakfast.

We should have realised the problem when we were asked to pay the full amount upfront before we saw the room. At check-out time there was a notice up saying the owners had gone “walkies” so it was not even possible to complain.

We would not recommend staying in this establishment. It may be gay, but we didn’t meet any other residents so you might as well stay in one of the gay friendly places in town.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank savvydue
Reviewed 17 October 2008

I stayed here with a friend who has booked a weekend away as a surprise. I guess I shouldn't compain because I didn't pay but it was a horrible place to stay.

The whole house is VERY worn and tired and really old fashioned, it is like going to a bed and breakfast in 1978. We went down to breakfast one day to see the owner's dog helping itself to food that had been left out on a plate, glad we noticed otherwise we might have been eating it ourselves a minute later.

To be honest I would have rather paid half and stayed somewhere nice, being in such a depressing atmosphere slightly ruined the weekend. If you go away you want to be able to relax and we simply couldn't.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank travlin_steve_1967
Reviewed 15 August 2008

having been looking for a gay place in Bournemouth for ages, I googled and found the bondi at www.thebondi.co.uk it is probably the most eye catching gay hotel site I have ever seen!!!

I found it to be clean, tidy, very friendly and just like home. Unlike the last review, I found the ornaments added something nice to the place and make it interesting.

The owners are really lovely people and make one feel extremely welcome. The room was very comfortable, ok not up to The Ritz in London, but it is a small victorian terrace in Bournemouth for chrissakes.

It is clean, very tidy, and a lovely place to stay overall. I will go again definitely.

I suspect that the previous reviewer is malicious in intent and probably has never been there.

harry
X (one for Harley x)

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank scotsharry
Reviewed 29 July 2008

I am lucky enough to travel quite a bit both privately and with my job so see lots of levels of hotel and guest house all over the world from the best 5 star in the world to rather very basic depending on my budget. I can find kind words about most places always taking into account how much I have paid, see my other reviews. However this is perhaps the worst lodging I have stayed in for a good 20 years. I expected little and got even less.

I got there with a friend who was sharing my room, I had paid just £45 a night and was told that adding another guest would be £10 more a night. When I got there they changed the price to be £20 more a night. Kind of okay I guess, it is still not much to pay to stay somewhere.

However everywhere seems mucky and in need of a paint. Yes there is the fabled complete rebuild of the hotel sometime in the future but it is not good enough now to have bare wires from a lamp taped together under a carpet. The room is small and cramped, the bathroom has a shower power switch on the floor (?). The shower in the room would not produce hot water and I was told "Turn it to the other way you would expect and it works" and indeed on a cold setting it does get hot eventually. We used the couple of towels we had given and they were soaking so the next day we left them on the bathroom floor to be changed (hopefully for bigger actual bath towels) and when we got back the soaking wet ones had just been rehung up for more use !!

The whole place feels grotty, cluttered with hundreds of little ornaments (a skull with a snake coming out of its eye, that kind of thing) and their dog more or less lives in the kitchen. In the breakfast room there is a sign that might seem amusing elsewhere "If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen". This summed up the attitude of the owners, breakfast is continental (which can be great) but here is a few croissants and plastic wrapped cheese, make your own tea with a hot water urn, jug of orange juice. You just feel like they make little effort with the breakfast, certainly not worth getting out of bed for.

Overall avoid avoid avoid until they do rebuild completely, the guys there are nice enough and might make a fantastic job if it. However at the moment there are PLENTY of much nicer places to stay for the same money or even much less.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank lee_bear
Reviewed 14 February 2008

I stayed at The Bondi for a long weekend in January after seeing their website. I have to say that I was impressed by the lovely homely atmosphere of the place. The owner, Jan and her partner, made me and my friend feel so welcome! We had tea and biscuits on arrival and had a lovely chat with them. She explained that she had only bought the business a month or so before and that she had plans to restore and refurbish it. The builders were discreetly at work outside and in, but were not intrusive in any way. I was impressed by her plans and her vision to make the Bondi a great gay hotel again.

The rooms are not on a grand scale, but Jan says the building dates back to Victorian times. The rooms are comfortable, clean and tidy and that for me is what counts.

They now serve a continental buffet style breakfast and you can eat and drink as much as you want, which pleased the great bear of a partner of mine. I had toast, cereal, grapefruit and 2 delicious croissant warmed in the flashiest toaster ever!

All in all, I would say give this place a go. You won't find a friendlier place to stay and now that Jan is in control, expect vast improvements.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple