“not the best stay”

Ranked #118 of 132 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
swindon
“not the best stay”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Second stay here, Breakfast was a real let down and bearing in mind we where staying here for work, Making sure we both had a good breakfast was very important....Cold beans, cold toast, cold tomatoes and for some bizarre reason on a weekend there is NO fresh juice just squash and no scrambled eggs its a cold English breakfast or a cold English breakfast....The young waitress in the morning on the weekend is just down right RUDE

Parking was a real issue,

Rooms, tidy but beds horrendous, No mattress protector. I The mattresses are filthy and covered in stains,I had to ask for a extra duvet to put under our sheet as the springs where sticking in my back. Which admittedly the night porter was more than happy to source for me.

The en-suite dark dark dark, the light resembles that of a match infact I think a match would be brighter...No hot water until the evening so cold showers first thing...,no light at the top of mirror and dead bugs all across the shelving.

If ur on a stag do prob good place to stay but for work a a weekend get away id stay clear

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank tara j
sarah b, Public Relations Manager at Bonnington Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Thank you for your review .Firstly i am sorry the hotel did not live up to your standards you are quite right that at weekends the hotel is full of groups and that it is a juggling act to keep individuals happy as the groups are noisy and partying.I am sorry the breakfast was cold there is no excuse and am sorry that you did not get the scrambled eggs that you wanted a mid week stay this would not have been an issue.at the moment the hotel is undergoing a complete refurbishment so that when you return you should never have this experience again.As a sort of gesture to you for your bad experience i would like to offer you a free nights accommodation and once again apologise that we could not perform at our best.The hotel should be fully refurbished from end of november.Once again thank you for choosing us and pointing out where we have gone wrong we have taken on board all your comments

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The chap who greeted us when we were parking our cars was rude & unwelcoming. I shared a room with my friend, while the rest of our hen party shared bunk beds in an annex. Our mattress was very thin & uncomfortable. My friend smelt damp all night & was coughing the rest of the following day. I understood it was a budget hotel & we didnt get back from our hen night till 2am, but the racket for the rest of the night was horrendous. I guess we got to sleep at about 5.30am. The only saving grace of our stay was the acceptable breakfast, with very nice coffee.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else if you want to sleep
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JeanHardwick

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I booked this quite last minute so I didn't expect anything amazing as it was for a night on the bank holiday weekend. However I was very disappointed given the price we paid (£80 for a pokey triple room), especially as we had just spent two nights in a Premier Inn for less money and excellent accommodation. In the resevation info we were told that use of the facilities at the nearby Marriott hotel was inclued in the price but this was never offered to us, nor was there any other hotel or local information provided in the hotel or bedroom.

The manager was friendly enough on arrival and advised that he had saved us a parking space as we had paid for it (£5), the parking space only consisted of the last corner on the tiny car park at the front of the hotel, I was reaasured that as everyone left at the same time in the morning it didn;t matter that I was blocking in 10+ other cars....as it turned out I only had to move my car once in the morning before check out so it could have been worse. The location of the hotel is good, 5 mins walk from the beach.

The room was very basic but clean, our daughter's bed (aged 6) was rather soft (I couldn't have slept on it) but she didn't mind. My husband and I were however rather cramped on our small double but it was comfortable enough. The decor was dated and the plug sockets looked like they'd seen better days. No bedside lights or even a hairdryer in the room, just a couple of soaps and 2 sachets of shower gel in the bathroom, oh and some used ones in the shower....not forgetting the disco ball attached to the bedroom ceiling??!!

The shower again was rather old and tired but functioned ok, water pressure in taps however was poor and the toilet ran for a while after flushing but did eventually go quiet.

The breakfast was very disappointing, very much a basic English breakfast made with cheap ingredients. I asked for a vegetarian breakfast and got one egg, one tinned tomato and a couple of spoonfuls of beans, not quite what I had hoped for.

It was at breakfast that I really took a dislike for the hotel manager and it became clear that he was only interested in making a quick buck and not in running a quality business. His pleasant demenour of the previous evening had vanished. He came into the breakfast area and I observed him pointing his finger at a member of staff and swearing at her. I then overheard other members of staff slagging off one of the new waitresses, not really want I wanted to listen to over breakfast. Overall not a pleasant atmosphere that I would want to return to.

This hotel is probably fine for young people looking for a no frills crash pad but otherwise avoid it, there is much better out there for the money.

Room Tip: It sounds like other guests have had better rooms so it is probably worth enquiring at time of booki...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We had a brilliant weekend here, the staff were friendly and very helpful. (I don't think Nick goes home) :)

The rooms were adequate for our purposes, although if I was staying longer a little more space would be needed. The hotel caters for groups (hen and stag weekends for example) very well!

Breakfast wasn't huge but it was nice and enough (after a night out) and we were provided with as much tea coffee and toast as we wanted.

If I had one comment to make it better real orange juice with breakfast would be nice.

I'd definitely stay again if I was returning to Bournemouth with a group of friends, but if you are looking for a posh hotel to stay with a young family you're better trying somewhere else. :)

Reviewed 27 August 2013

12 of us arrived for my hen weekend on Friday 23rd August. On arrival we were met by Mr Nick and allocated our rooms. My only disappointment was that we weren't all on the same floor and the room i shared with 2 others was on the small side for 3. But Mr Nick, ever accommodating, moved us to a bigger room that really was lovely (and had its own sparkly disco ball!) Maybe not ideal for families but i loved it! Shelley and Lisa were lovely, couldn't ask for more. Great value for money and lovely friendly hospitality! We have promised a return trip next year!x

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Urgh would be the most appropriate word I can best describe this so called hotel. Granted the hotel inspector did a nice job on the downstairs. It was when we walked up the stairs we realised our mistake. As walking up the stairs there was a lovely can of beer on the window sill. We could see in most of the rooms and they all looked horrific. We had a double on the top floor (so called newly refurbished). Glitter ball on the ceiling, heater hanging off the wall, mould on all the window sills, mattress as comfy as a slab of concrete, duvet and pillows so thin it's unbelievable, dirty mugs, dated tiles in bathroom, Lino on the bathroom floor split and appalling shower. The owner tried to move us because apparently our bath was leaking to the room below. After seeing 3 worse rooms we asked for our money back. We were told by the owner "we would be doing him a favour by leaving" how lovely of him, what a charmer. Grand total of time spent there 20 minutes. Need I say more?

7 Thank Elmo36
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We had a choice of room on arrival, I think we got lucky, a big airy room with a lovely view of the balloon and park.

Shower was a bit rubbish but it was clean and staff were lovely and friendly.
Breakfast was a bit limiting - english breakfast or english breakfast - Should maybe have a menu.. But the food was really good.
To top off a £2.50 charge to use the Marriott hotel spa across the road. We loved this!

Overall lovely relaxing stay in a great location.

Room Tip: Room 20 is big and airy with a good view - although can be noisy outside.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple