“Avoid at all costs!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #130 of 144 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
“Avoid at all costs!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I was fooled by the overall positive rating this hotel had somehow garnered from its "visitors". I can only give you my own true to life experience.

Upon arrival after a 7 hour drive I was given my keys at the front office and politely wished a happy stay, but it was very soon that I realised this stay would be anything but. Opening the door to the cesspit i had rented for the next couple of days i noticed the walls were utterly filthy and the carpet pitted and in need of a good wash. The ensuite public latrine wasn't clean either, I decided to take a shower and for the first time in my life i came out dirtier than when i went in. I was literally pulling long hairs from my head that could not have been my own. I was appalled and after drying myself with the towel provided, made my way down to reception to lodge a complaint. The receptionist who had been so kind and smiley minutes before, looked like she was about to have a nervous breakdown, maybe this kind of thing happens regularly I thought. I explained calmly that the room was the pits and I was unhappy pulling a previous guests hair from my head. I was told to wait as unfortunate new guests were waiting to be booked in. I waited and after about 20 minutes I was invited into the office to speak with the owner over the phone. I was told by the owner, who had been watching me like some nosey god through the CCTV system that i had been aggressive/abusive and he was close to phoning the police, I explained that I had been anything but! he insisted that I leave the hotel, I explained that I had paid for the room and I wasnt leaving without a refund! he told me i'd be charged for the first night, so grudgingly I demanded that I stay for that first night as I had paid for the shoddy service and he agreed. Next day I booked with another hotel in Boscombe, I paid a tiny bit more but what a huge difference! I know people will think its a budget hotel you cant expect much but cleanliness is an absolute minimum for any hotel service and on these grounds the Bonnington Beach Hotel failed utterly.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Sam B
sarah b, Front Office Manager at Bonnington Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
You are absolutly correct that room was not good but since your stay every room has been refurbished new bathrooms ,new bedrooms,new carpets,You booked a bargain cheapie cheap skate room or a low budget cant afford a better room thats why you ended up with that particular room.
Next time you stay with us pay a bit more money and get a much better fully refurbed room
as the complete hotel has now been refurbed hopefully we wont have any more low priced cheapie rooms or budget person rooms.
Thanks for your nice review and im pleased you found alternative accomodation i remember you well you stayed the night had a huge buffet breakfast and then after you finished eating your huge breakfast wanted a full refund.
Funny that a member of my staff reckoned you were just trying it on to eat a huge meal and stay the night free
I said surely not there arent people like that any more who stay the complete night and eat a huge slap up cooked brkfast and only then want a full refund
Better luck next time but we too had eaten our weetabix that morning
see you again soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

The hotel reception and bar area is better than you would expect from a budget hotel! We had a room on the top floor for four of us (five single beds) the room and bathroom were very basic but all clean and had just what we needed for our one night stay. The hotel was also really quiet and we didn't really hear or see anyone. You can also park right outside the hotel for £5 whilst you are a guest bargain! Downside is the breakfast it was awful!!! None of us could eat it! - however this hotel is perfect for a group away and the staff are friendly. I would return but just have my breakfast in the local wetherspoons in town for less than £4!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Trowbridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night. Group of 7 in one room. Room was ideal for a stag group. Big, basic and clean. Hotel reception area, bar and breakfast room were very smart for a budget hotel. Bar open 24hrs. Breakfast was ok. Nothing negative to say. Staff were a big plus, especially the manager who was very friendly and was able to advise on places to go. He even used his contacts to get us free VIP club entry. Would recommend to big/small groups, young couples.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Studland Bay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

Booked this hotel on laterooms.com. double room with breakfast for was only £30 per night, really good value for menu, staff were friendly the hotel was clean and tidy, our room faced a min road but didn't hear much noise in the night, room very clean, well worth the money, would recommened.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed here for 1 night, went to another hotel for the second night which was cheaper and a lot nicer called the Wessex hotel. £90 down to £40 is obviously a lie when you can get other hotels around the area for £36. Staff weren't very friendly we wernt allowed anyone to visit the room, I felt like I was in a hostal. Looks cute from the outside but is worth about £25 for a stay. Wouldn't go back.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
sarah b, Guest Relations Manager at Bonnington Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and that is was on the basis that we do not allow guests back to the room.The reason is we charge per person and if you bring a crowd back to the room and party it causes a load of noise and disturbs other guests.You were young ,noisy drunk,and set on causing as much havoc and noise as possible .I am pleased you found somewhere else to stay that suited you better.I hope your stay in Bournemouth was pleasant we were delighted you chose some where else to stay.Thank you we all breathed a sigh of relief when you checked out and imagine our surprise that you left the room un damaged.

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Winchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Recent visit to this hotel & a reasonable cheap place to stay, but can be a bit noisey sometimes with other people in adjoining rooms. Did find the fittings in need of repair, like ceiling light with 3 bulb fitting & only one bulb working, also bedside lights not working at all ( had to read by torch in evening to see pages). Beds were very comfortable & bathroom was fairly good. I did find the TV on the wall slightly awkward to watch from the other bed. Breakfast service was better on first of two night stay, but seem to get less on plate at second day.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank colyvon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

CHEAP, CHEERFUL, RELAXED.

They also returned an item of clothing of mine after leaving it behind, much appreciated!!

with low prices, dont go in there expecting great service or to be treated like royalty, what we got was efficient service, and a quick chat.

Dont get me wrong though, we were made to feel welcome and wanted as customers.

Not great decor in-room but common areas were pretty nice.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends