“50th Birthday weekend”
Review of The Winter Dene

The Winter Dene
Ranked #41 of 134 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Just had a three night stay at the Winter Dene Hotel, very warm reception from Renzo. The Winter Dene is a very clean and comfortable hotel, set in beautifully maintained gardens with adequate free parking. Many thanks to Heather for providing an excellent good quality full English breakfast. Nothing was too much trouble for Heather and Renzo, will definitely stay at the Winter Dene again when we are next in Bournemouth.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Stayed here in July for a long weekend, fantastic breakfast and I had 1 evening meal, all home cooked, great portions. Car parking and a short walk into town or down to beach. A great find as my normal B&B was fully booked.
Wifi was hit and miss

Room Tip: My room was at top of house with sloping ceiling, loo and separate bathroom en suite. Very hot thoug...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank slowcoachme
Reviewed 3 September 2013

3 night stay here over the Air Show weekend. Excellent hotel - very clean and lovely bedroom. Liked the bottles of water provided in the room. Breakfast was very good. Great location as well - very easy to walk to the beach, town and bus stops.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs then ask for ground floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2013

just had a 5 day stay at this hotel very pleased with service and staff ,it is a good place close to bournemouth town if you are an oap it is no problem to get to all buses to all areas we visited most places and the bus drivers were very friendly .

Room Tip: all rooms are good
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank oge12365
Reviewed 10 August 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Winter Dene in August 2013 and once again and were very pleased with every aspect of the hotel.
The owners and staff are happy to help where necessary, the rooms are spotless as always and the food is home cooked and superb. There is no lift (it would look out of place in this lovely villa style hotel anyway), so if you find it difficult to negotiate stairs, request a room on the ground floor and Heather & Renzo will do their best to accommodate you.
The Winter Dene is in an excellent location for the beach and the town centre and is only a couple of minutes away from either. The car park is large enough to accommodate all guests and easily accessible.
During our visits to Bournemouth, my wife and I have stayed in this hotel eight times and have been in different bedrooms and have not found fault in any. The rooms are cozy and like home from home. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting Bournemouth.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Just came home from a 12 days stay in Winter Dene hotel in Bournemouth and could not be happier with our hotel. The rooms were big and spacious with big bathrooms and they were kept spotlessly clean. The breakfast was very nice with good portions and the owners Renzo and Heather and the rest of the staff was always very nice and friendly. The hotel is also very nicely situated within easy walking distance from the city centre and the beach and. We all enjoyed our stay very much and are already looking forward to our next stay at the Winter Dene although we don't know when it will be. But we are most definitely coming back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I found my room to be satisfactory and I have no complaints about it. Regarding breakfast, I thought it was a really good idea to have the room numbers on the tables - this made finding a place to sit extremely easy. I opted for the full English. Yes, it was a full English, but nothing to really write home about. I've had better breakfasts elsewhere. It was served very promptly the second morning I was there, but not so promptly the first.

The lady taking the orders at breakfast time seemed very approachable, but I found it difficult to find a member of staff to ask questions to about the local area. I bumped into staff, who were friendly, but not very god at giving directions, which meant that I spent quite a lot of time wandering around the local area and ended up getting better directions to tourist attractions from strangers I accosted in the street.

On my last day in Bournemouth I went to the Russell-Cotes Museum and left my bags at The Winter Dene and returned later, by taxi, to collect them. I was impressed that the money I owed had already been taken from my card but not so impressed when the owner started being rude to my taxi driver for not helping me with my bags and threatened to report him to the council for insolence. All I wanted to do was get to the station to catch my train, and wanted to get in the cab as quickly as possible to avoid paying more than necessary. I got in the cab and the lady was still arguing with the taxi driver. Her husband then got involved. The last I remember of him, he had my taxi driver my the collar and had clenched his fist as if to punch him. For this reason alone, if I have the opportunity to visit Bournemouth again, I will not be choosing to stay at The Winter Dene.

Room Tip: Room 16 is a huge room!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo