“not good value for money”

Britannia Hotel Bournemouth
Ranked #63 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I paid £85 for bed and breakfast, and consider it to be very poor value for money. The interior is shabby , and the bedrooms small and in need of refurbishment. The dining room is big and impersonal, and quite scruffy. Breakfast is poor. The bacon tasted very strange, and tinned fruit was served. We had to park in a car park a few minutes away, as the hotel car park is very small, and had to pay £3 for the privilege. TVs in the room are very old fashioned with only a few channels. I am used to staying in Holiday Inn hotels (in this price bracket) , which are not exactly full of character, but at least have new interiors up to date TVs and good quality breakfasts.
One final thing, I tried three times to call reception, and was kept waiting for several minutes. In the end I had to hang up and try several times more.
The one good thing to say is that the hotel is in quite a good location. The sea front is a couple of minutes away and there are a number of restaurants in walking distance, essential in Bournemouth as parking is such nightmare.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank 781Pat
steve a, Manager at Britannia Hotel Bournemouth, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Dear 781 Pat I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay here with us at the Britannia Bournemouth. As you said in your review that parking in Bournemouth is a nightmare and yes we do charge £3.00 which is very good as most hotels have a charge of £10.00 for the night this stops people parking in the hotels car park when there is no where else to park. We are in the middle of painting our rooms but things do take time as we are all ways fully booked so a lot of people must think we are good value for money. As I have said a few times, most days we have over 200 people that have breakfast here in the hotel and as you can see from the review below yours we can not please every one, for a 3 star hotel we offer very good food and have very little complaints.

Regards

Steve

Write a ReviewReviews (1,207)

Reviewed 22 July 2012

After a busy few months at work, I have just booked up a surprise 2 night stay at the Britannia, Bournemouth for my wife. When we arrived, we went to our room to find a couple already asleep in our bed! They then took us to a Superior Room, via the shoebox lift, to dirty windows, only half the lights working in the bedroom and bathroom. A picture that had fallen off the wall leaned against the skirting board with 2 large holes in the wall (If this was a Superior Room, what were the other like)? A hairdryer that had an electrical fault as it switched itself off and on.

We then went dinner, the vegetables looked like the had been cooked for days and although the menu said there were two choices of sweets there was only ever one, cheesecake and cheesecake! When we asked about the choice of sweets we were told this is a mistake!

We spoke to the Manager who did not seem to know what to do or say and offered no solution.

At dinner we had wine and the waitress said YOU PAY NOW, as they bought it to the table. I said at the end of the meal like everywhere else. On returning to the room we stepped back to let the maid push a trolley through and she said NO and just walked off.

There seems no Customer Service or accountability in this hotel with very little training on how to treat guests.

It seemed more like Faulty Towers or a scene out of a Carry On film. If you want good food, good service and customer service, DON'T GO HERE!

Room Tip: See it before you accept it, ask if there are hidden charges such as car park charges even when you...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank cpowell190745
steve a, Manager at Britannia Hotel Bournemouth, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Dear cpowell

Sorry to hear that you did not have a good time with the Britannia Bournemouth. I see that you had a lot of problems with your room. Sorry that you think the lift is no bigger than a shoe box but it is not as small as you say in your review, some hotels still do not have a lift and we are lucky to have 2. I can not understand why the hairdryer in the draw in your room had any kind of fault as no other guest has made a complaint that has been a guest in the room since your stay. The food here at the Britannia is very good and we have lots of guests say how good it is, I am not sure what time you came down for your dinner but all you had to do is ask the staff and the food would have been replaced for you. Most people will come on to tripadvisor and make complaints yet never come to the staff at the time I do not understand what tripadvisor can do for you apart from staff losing their jobs.

Reviewed 21 July 2012

I stayed here on a midweek break. First impressions were not so good as the outside looks old and dated and it is true that my room was in need of a refurb but the bed was comfortable, the bed linen was clean and the towels which were thick and clean were changed every day. My complimentary tea tray was refilled every day and the food at breakfast and evening meal was varied, hot and very nice. I certainly could not fault the service at all. On the first morning I asked if there was porridge for breakfast and the chef made me a bowl even though not on the menu. I was told she was happy to do so each morning if I asked when I arrived for breakfast and she made a bowl every day. I call that brilliant service!! I didn't use the swimming pool but I did see it and it looked clean and inviting. The hotel is on the cliff top and only a couple of minutes from the path overlooking the sea. A few more steps along the path is the cliff lift which takes you down to the beach and promenade. Alternatively a couple of minutes walk the other way takes you to the bus stops for town, Poole, Christchurch etc. Very well situated.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank MEP462

Dear MEP462 Thank you for your review it is so good to see that some times tripadvisor will post a good review about the Britannia Bournemouth. I think most times they think its staff so will not post it. We are in the middle of painting the rooms and working on the outside as well. I will pass your thanks to Hannah the Housekeeping Manager who will be pleased to hear that you was happy with your room and the service, I am sure she will pass this on to the housekeeping staff with a big thank you. I am happy that you had porridge and that the kitchen was only to pleased to make it for you, Flo our restaurant Manager with her staff work hard to make sure the food is just how you like it and work well with Tomasz our chef and his staff from the kitchen to make your stay with us is enjoyable. I will pass your thanks on to Tomasz and Flo to pass on to the team. I hope you will come back to visit us very soon and to see the change in the hotel.
Kind Reagrds

Reviewed 19 July 2012

Me and my Partner stayed here for one night. you get what you pay for. i thought the staff were very friendly and so did my husband. its not the ritz but it was clean the bedding was clean and the room was value for money in my book anyway as we were only sleeping there. and the breafast was really good too.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
steve a, Manager at Britannia Hotel Bournemouth, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

Dear Karen

Thank you so much for your kind and happy review with your stay with us here at the Britannia Bournemouth. I am pleased that you found the Hotel and its staff friendly and had a good stay and that you found us not as bad as most reviews say about the hotel and the staff here on tripadvisor, we work very hard to make your stay enjoyable and pleasant and it is good to see you took the time to write a review. We hope that you will be back to see us for your next stay here in Bournemouth. I will pass your thanks to all the staff and once more thank you.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 17 July 2012

Just signed up to Trip Advisor But visited this hotel in January and felt I ought to comment on the place. The first night we were told we would have to dine in the sister hotel over the road. We went to the hotel over the road and started eating only to find out we were in the wrong hotel. After some deliberation between the two managers we were allowed to stay and finish our meal without cost ot ourselves. The meals in this hotel were poor along with the service, had to wait about 10 mins in the bar for a drink. It is easy to criticise in this day and age but we would not return to this hotel if we had all expenses paid.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Recycledteenager2012

Dear Recycledteenager

It is good of you to write a review on tripadvisor with your view on your stay here, but it is sad that you write a compliant regarding your meal at another hotel. Here at the Britannia, The Heathlands and the Roundhouse the meals are of very good standards and can not make any remarks on any other hotels in Bournemouth. The Heathlands Hotel is our sister hotel as well as the Roundhouse and both are clearly visible that the two hotels are from the Britannia Hotels group and can not understand why you say you went to the hotel over the road which is clear by the sign that they are not apart of the Britannia Group. The Britannia did in fact pay the other hotel for your meals. Thank you any way for your Kind review

Reviewed 14 July 2012

We arrived at 1.10 pm on Sunday 8th July, a receptionist then said you cannot book in until 3 pm before even checking our booking, I told her we had paid extra to book in at 1. pm. Shbe then called out the back to a man to ask "what time you gonna start booking", I called out again we had paid to book in at 1 pm. The Manager came out and booked us in, told us £3 per night to park, (disgraceful) £4 per night to use pool. Went to our room, took our belongings to our room 309. Smelly lift, worn stained carpet, sometimes lifts do not work. I then came back down to ask a girl behind the desk, what time did afternoon tea start and finish. She then said "are you here having lunch", No I said I am a guest, she then said "its not free you know". I told her I never asked you if it was free, I asked what are the times, as ypou have a postyer on the wall, 'cream teas 3.50 and full tea £4.50. I had intended to bring my daughter and husband back for tea after we met them in Bournemouth Gardens. I said "forget it" she gave a shrug of her shoulders. Our room and bathroom was very clean, but just worn and dated, needs updating by decorating etc. The bed was comfortable. I didn't mind too much as we had a cheap 3 day offer, and we had our little dog with us, had we not I would have left and gone elsewhere because of the service, I would not pay anywhere near the full prices. Not a 3 star Hotel.. Breakfasts were fine, the Bar was fine, although a bit stupid that we could not sit in the Bar with our little dog, as outside it was raining all the time. Not a terrible experience but quite poor. Mainly the staff to blame not friendly, although the Managers were fine, (all staff foreign.) We came back on Tuesday at 5 pm after being out all day to find the maid had not made our bed or cleaned the room, manager sent one staright away and apologised. Maid was sullen and wouldn't speak. On our last morning Wednesday, we vacated the room at 10. am and the maid was pacing up and down outside the door, with the clean towels in her arms, which made us laugh, pity she wasn't sao keen the mnorning before to clean.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jacqueline_lucas
Reviewed 13 July 2012 via mobile

We booked this last minute as all other hotels were booked up and we needed to be in Bournemouth last minute. I would rather have camped on the beach. It was awful. Awful rooms that were small and the furniture was so old it was falling apart and smelt of smoke. The breakfast in the morning was beyond disgusting so we went out and bought breakfast both days so we could avoid spending anytime there.

• Stayed: June 2012
6  Thank Tabbybell
Management response:Responded 14 July 2012

Dear Guest I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay here at the Britannia. We have over 200 people that eat breakfast here and very few complaints, we offer a very wide range that meets most people’s tastes and I am sorry that you had to go out for your breakfast; if you had come to the reception we could have made arrangements with the kitchen as you said both days. Unless guests lets us know if there is any kind of problem, with their stay we can not put things right. House keeping clean all rooms every day and if they find furniture that does not meet company standards I can assure you it will be removed or replaced, Did you let reception know of the problem with your room as I can not find any complaint from you concerning your room. Sadly we can not put CCTV in rooms and therefore people will smoke in the rooms and unless the fire alarm is sounded it is very hard for any hotel to see if some one is smoking in a room. We try very hard to make sure your stay with us in enjoyable and had we known of your problems with the room we would have moved you, if we was fully booked as we often are we would have offered you to relocate to our 3 sister hotels. I Hope you will come back to Britannia very soon with a free upgrade for your next stay.

Regards