“dont go there!”

Ranked #64 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Norwich, United Kingdom
“dont go there!”
Reviewed 24 July 2012

This was an expensive mistake. A one night stay at £110 B n B. Room was big and airy BUT that was the only good thing about the stay. The staff were friendly and helpful but that can’t overcome the state of the place or the management’s attitude that infects the establishment.

The beds were thin mattresses with only one pillow and that only 35mm [13/4" ] thick. No spares! The walls are thin so everything next door can be heard, and when clubbers come in at 3:30am!! Well.

No box of tissues in the room; the showerhead was a replacement and didn’t fit the holder so that when one went to turn it off the sudden drop in the reactive force of the water caused the shower head to fall on one's head! Breakfast fare was poor - no alternative soya milk, awful bread, only two types of tea, cheap sausages etc etc.

Parking was a pain with an 'overflow’ parking place 250m away. The rather intimidating parking regime with the implied threat that if you get it wrong and enter an incorrect licence plate a demand for £130 arrives on your door mat [BTW never pay these – there is no arguable contract between you and the demander nor any tacit agreement that you have accepted their terms and conditions] – it’s just another way of getting money out of the place. The forecourt is in effect ‘rented out’ to the blue-meanies who then exploit the unwary. That Management do this tells you all you really need to know about this hotel and it’s ‘sister’ establishments.

All in all it was tired, poor, sad place that had seen better days and was being used as a cash cow, wringing every last penny out of the place. Everything was ‘extra’, from the use of the pool, the health club [!] [i.e. a tired room with time expired training kit], the pool, parking. Pity management don’t or can’t see that we have choices and that we expect better than this.

Not what I WOULD EXPECT FROM A £110/NIGHT PLACE.

6 Thank l84f
steve a, Manager at Britannia Hotel Bournemouth, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
To 184F

I was watching a film today and unfortunately I didn’t like it, so I stopped watching it. It all ways takes me by surprise that people come on to tripadvisor and make a complaint about a hotel and the staff that work there and yet still stay at the same hotel that they call a skank. I can never understand why people take tape measures on holiday like your self. As you took the measurements of the mattresses I am surprised that you did not measure the walls as they are not as thin as you say they are in your review. I see that you booked for just one night and did not unpack as if you had, and looked in the wardrobe you will find 2 more pillows and a blanket or just called reception and we would have told you this. I am sorry you did not have a box of tissues in your room but like I said if you had called reception we would have come to you with a box. I am very surprised that as you have put this review on tripadvisor you did not make any kind of complaint that the shower head hit you in the head nor is there any complaint in the accident book??????????. I can not say about the car park company as I am sure they will write to you as slander is a case for the courts £60.00 is the fine not £130.00. Not sure what heath club you are talking about as we don’t have one. So are you sure it was this hotel you stayed in. Yes we do not keep soya milk only if asked, I have looked and you did not ask for soya milk when you booked your room. The bread is the same as what you would buy for your home, and sausages must be good as people have 3 or 4 for breakfast, and if you had looked by the hot water you will find we have over 9 kinds of tea. You say you have choices, Then any hotel has the right to defend it self when people write on tripadvisor, I think its a shame that people think tripadvisor is the complaints office for hotels, and never talk to the manager of the said hotels, but I am sure that as people read all the reviews regarding UK Hotels on tripadvisor from all around the world they must think we are all skanks so thank you for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I paid £85 for bed and breakfast, and consider it to be very poor value for money. The interior is shabby , and the bedrooms small and in need of refurbishment. The dining room is big and impersonal, and quite scruffy. Breakfast is poor. The bacon tasted very strange, and tinned fruit was served. We had to park in a car park a few minutes away, as the hotel car park is very small, and had to pay £3 for the privilege. TVs in the room are very old fashioned with only a few channels. I am used to staying in Holiday Inn hotels (in this price bracket) , which are not exactly full of character, but at least have new interiors up to date TVs and good quality breakfasts.
One final thing, I tried three times to call reception, and was kept waiting for several minutes. In the end I had to hang up and try several times more.
The one good thing to say is that the hotel is in quite a good location. The sea front is a couple of minutes away and there are a number of restaurants in walking distance, essential in Bournemouth as parking is such nightmare.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank 781Pat
steve a, Manager at Britannia Hotel Bournemouth, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear 781 Pat I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay here with us at the Britannia Bournemouth. As you said in your review that parking in Bournemouth is a nightmare and yes we do charge £3.00 which is very good as most hotels have a charge of £10.00 for the night this stops people parking in the hotels car park when there is no where else to park. We are in the middle of painting our rooms but things do take time as we are all ways fully booked so a lot of people must think we are good value for money. As I have said a few times, most days we have over 200 people that have breakfast here in the hotel and as you can see from the review below yours we can not please every one, for a 3 star hotel we offer very good food and have very little complaints.

Regards

Steve

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

After a busy few months at work, I have just booked up a surprise 2 night stay at the Britannia, Bournemouth for my wife. When we arrived, we went to our room to find a couple already asleep in our bed! They then took us to a Superior Room, via the shoebox lift, to dirty windows, only half the lights working in the bedroom and bathroom. A picture that had fallen off the wall leaned against the skirting board with 2 large holes in the wall (If this was a Superior Room, what were the other like)? A hairdryer that had an electrical fault as it switched itself off and on.

We then went dinner, the vegetables looked like the had been cooked for days and although the menu said there were two choices of sweets there was only ever one, cheesecake and cheesecake! When we asked about the choice of sweets we were told this is a mistake!

We spoke to the Manager who did not seem to know what to do or say and offered no solution.

At dinner we had wine and the waitress said YOU PAY NOW, as they bought it to the table. I said at the end of the meal like everywhere else. On returning to the room we stepped back to let the maid push a trolley through and she said NO and just walked off.

There seems no Customer Service or accountability in this hotel with very little training on how to treat guests.

It seemed more like Faulty Towers or a scene out of a Carry On film. If you want good food, good service and customer service, DON'T GO HERE!

Room Tip: See it before you accept it, ask if there are hidden charges such as car park charges even when you...
5 Thank cpowell190745
steve a, Manager at Britannia Hotel Bournemouth, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear cpowell

Sorry to hear that you did not have a good time with the Britannia Bournemouth. I see that you had a lot of problems with your room. Sorry that you think the lift is no bigger than a shoe box but it is not as small as you say in your review, some hotels still do not have a lift and we are lucky to have 2. I can not understand why the hairdryer in the draw in your room had any kind of fault as no other guest has made a complaint that has been a guest in the room since your stay. The food here at the Britannia is very good and we have lots of guests say how good it is, I am not sure what time you came down for your dinner but all you had to do is ask the staff and the food would have been replaced for you. Most people will come on to tripadvisor and make complaints yet never come to the staff at the time I do not understand what tripadvisor can do for you apart from staff losing their jobs.
Wisbech, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I stayed here on a midweek break. First impressions were not so good as the outside looks old and dated and it is true that my room was in need of a refurb but the bed was comfortable, the bed linen was clean and the towels which were thick and clean were changed every day. My complimentary tea tray was refilled every day and the food at breakfast and evening meal was varied, hot and very nice. I certainly could not fault the service at all. On the first morning I asked if there was porridge for breakfast and the chef made me a bowl even though not on the menu. I was told she was happy to do so each morning if I asked when I arrived for breakfast and she made a bowl every day. I call that brilliant service!! I didn't use the swimming pool but I did see it and it looked clean and inviting. The hotel is on the cliff top and only a couple of minutes from the path overlooking the sea. A few more steps along the path is the cliff lift which takes you down to the beach and promenade. Alternatively a couple of minutes walk the other way takes you to the bus stops for town, Poole, Christchurch etc. Very well situated.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank MEP462
Dear MEP462 Thank you for your review it is so good to see that some times tripadvisor will post a good review about the Britannia Bournemouth. I think most times they think its staff so will not post it. We are in the middle of painting the rooms and working on the outside as well. I will pass your thanks to Hannah the Housekeeping Manager who will be pleased to hear that you was happy with your room and the service, I am sure she will pass this on to the housekeeping staff with a big thank you. I am happy that you had porridge and that the kitchen was only to pleased to make it for you, Flo our restaurant Manager with her staff work hard to make sure the food is just how you like it and work well with Tomasz our chef and his staff from the kitchen to make your stay with us is enjoyable. I will pass your thanks on to Tomasz and Flo to pass on to the team. I hope you will come back to visit us very soon and to see the change in the hotel.
Kind Reagrds
Farnborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Me and my Partner stayed here for one night. you get what you pay for. i thought the staff were very friendly and so did my husband. its not the ritz but it was clean the bedding was clean and the room was value for money in my book anyway as we were only sleeping there. and the breafast was really good too.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
steve a, Manager at Britannia Hotel Bournemouth, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
Dear Karen

Thank you so much for your kind and happy review with your stay with us here at the Britannia Bournemouth. I am pleased that you found the Hotel and its staff friendly and had a good stay and that you found us not as bad as most reviews say about the hotel and the staff here on tripadvisor, we work very hard to make your stay enjoyable and pleasant and it is good to see you took the time to write a review. We hope that you will be back to see us for your next stay here in Bournemouth. I will pass your thanks to all the staff and once more thank you.

Kind Regards

Chepstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Just signed up to Trip Advisor But visited this hotel in January and felt I ought to comment on the place. The first night we were told we would have to dine in the sister hotel over the road. We went to the hotel over the road and started eating only to find out we were in the wrong hotel. After some deliberation between the two managers we were allowed to stay and finish our meal without cost ot ourselves. The meals in this hotel were poor along with the service, had to wait about 10 mins in the bar for a drink. It is easy to criticise in this day and age but we would not return to this hotel if we had all expenses paid.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Recycledteenager2012
Dear Recycledteenager

It is good of you to write a review on tripadvisor with your view on your stay here, but it is sad that you write a compliant regarding your meal at another hotel. Here at the Britannia, The Heathlands and the Roundhouse the meals are of very good standards and can not make any remarks on any other hotels in Bournemouth. The Heathlands Hotel is our sister hotel as well as the Roundhouse and both are clearly visible that the two hotels are from the Britannia Hotels group and can not understand why you say you went to the hotel over the road which is clear by the sign that they are not apart of the Britannia Group. The Britannia did in fact pay the other hotel for your meals. Thank you any way for your Kind review
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We arrived at 1.10 pm on Sunday 8th July, a receptionist then said you cannot book in until 3 pm before even checking our booking, I told her we had paid extra to book in at 1. pm. Shbe then called out the back to a man to ask "what time you gonna start booking", I called out again we had paid to book in at 1 pm. The Manager came out and booked us in, told us £3 per night to park, (disgraceful) £4 per night to use pool. Went to our room, took our belongings to our room 309. Smelly lift, worn stained carpet, sometimes lifts do not work. I then came back down to ask a girl behind the desk, what time did afternoon tea start and finish. She then said "are you here having lunch", No I said I am a guest, she then said "its not free you know". I told her I never asked you if it was free, I asked what are the times, as ypou have a postyer on the wall, 'cream teas 3.50 and full tea £4.50. I had intended to bring my daughter and husband back for tea after we met them in Bournemouth Gardens. I said "forget it" she gave a shrug of her shoulders. Our room and bathroom was very clean, but just worn and dated, needs updating by decorating etc. The bed was comfortable. I didn't mind too much as we had a cheap 3 day offer, and we had our little dog with us, had we not I would have left and gone elsewhere because of the service, I would not pay anywhere near the full prices. Not a 3 star Hotel.. Breakfasts were fine, the Bar was fine, although a bit stupid that we could not sit in the Bar with our little dog, as outside it was raining all the time. Not a terrible experience but quite poor. Mainly the staff to blame not friendly, although the Managers were fine, (all staff foreign.) We came back on Tuesday at 5 pm after being out all day to find the maid had not made our bed or cleaned the room, manager sent one staright away and apologised. Maid was sullen and wouldn't speak. On our last morning Wednesday, we vacated the room at 10. am and the maid was pacing up and down outside the door, with the clean towels in her arms, which made us laugh, pity she wasn't sao keen the mnorning before to clean.

5 Thank jacqueline_lucas