“Get what you pay for” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #66 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Get what you pay for”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Hotel is very run down and the staff are very unfriendly and will not offer any service beyond checking you in. Spa facilities consits of a pool in a glass building with a small sauna...more of a greenhouse than spa. Food is disgusting...do not touch with a barge pole. Room was clean and pleasant. No atmosphere but a great bargain if you need somewhere to kip!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Polish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Best words to describe, Damp,Musty,Old Fashioned,Filthy,Well Used hovel.
The worst Hotel i have ever stayed in.
My wife and i went for a short trip to Bournemouth,upon arrival there were no parking spaces to park(very limited parking) the first room we were given we declined as a would let a dog sleep in it. The second was not much better.The foyer was full of unhappy guests complaining.
We spent as little time as possible in the Hotel During are stay and it spoilt are trip so we would advise others to avoid.

Room Tip: Dont even go there.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel on a groupon deal with dinner, breakfast and a bottle of wine. After reading the reviews we did start to worry but it actually was not that bad. It is very run down with stains on furnishings and damp patches everywhere but the room was lovely and clean , the staff were polite and the food was good.especially breakfast! for the price we couldn't complain although £3 parking per day is not the best advertisement for a hotel.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
sussex england
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Our very kind friends booked a night at this hotel for my wife and I as part of our 25th wedding anniversary celebrations. We then booked a follow on night to extend our stay and upgraded the room to take advantage of the sea views.
upon arrival we found a parking space and entered the reception area. This was a tired and unwelcoming space seeming more interested in putting notices up for guests warning them to give registration details of your vehicle or risk clamping and a fine. The old wicker furniture with sagging covers and worn tread bare carpets only add to the sense of dread that the hotel is way below expectations. We were given a room on the third floor and choose to use the stairs as the warning notices on the lifts telling you that only two guests at a time can use the lift did little to inspire confidence. The stairs again had carpets that were worn out years ago and paint work on the walls and wood that is in desperate need of a major refurbishment.
We entered our room and were shocked with what we saw. Two single headboards were fixed to the walls with a double bed pushed between them. We opened the window which fell to the end of its travel and was covered in dirt. The carpets are stained and filthy, the chair is thread bare and stained and only a crime scene investigator would be able to identify all the items that have seeped into the mattress. The door from the wardrobe from the 70's came off in my hand when i attempted to open it. The paintwork is blistered and dirty, the shower was held together with sellotape and the naked lady picture above the bed made us roar with laughter.
Our friends had paid in advance so we had to stay for the first night, but we went down to reception to cancel the second night. The receptionist cancelled the reservation without asking if anything was wrong, I then asked him for my £50 deposit back (the room was £120 a night). He told me because we had booked with central reservations I would have to call them, I asked for the number which was like asking for one of his kidneys. I eventually called reservations to be told my deposit was non refundable, I told them this was no problem and that I would start a grievance with my creditcard company due to the disgusting state of the hotel. I was put on hold while she spoke with her supervisor and common sense was applied and my deposit was returned. We then spent as much time away from the hotel as we could, however our friends had paid for our dinner in the hotel restaurant. Things didn't improve here. It is more like a staff canteen with poor quality food and staff that have no motivation to carry out there tasks.
We were checked out by 8am and booked into a travel inn just outside of Bournemouth that was clean, tidy and comfortable.
Britannia should be ashamed of themselves with the way they have presented this hotel. It appears to be targeted at the coach tour industry where people spend one or two nights and then move on.
My wife and I both work shifts so time together is limited so when we get the chance to spend a couple of nights away we want trouble free time. Britannia Hotel Bournemouth gave me nothing but grief until we checked out, save yourself some cash and disappointment. GO ELSEWARE.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Feltham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Booked this hotel through Groupon. Great deal including room, dinner, breakfast and a bottle of wine. Read previous reviews, mixed bag, as to be expected with most hotels.
Turned up hours before check in and were allowed to park the car and go for a wander. We came back and used the Spa facilities (just a jacuzzi and swimming pool and small sauna but nevertheless). These were clean and a good way to while away an hour or so. The rooms in the hotel are dated but clean. We had a standard double room with masses of wardrobe space, a TV, a bath, separate shower and two sinks. More than ample.
Dinner was a buffet, good choice and delicious puddings. I enjoyed a bottle of rose free of charge and bar drinks reasonably priced. Breakfast was hot and lovely, again a good spread.
Overall we were really pleased with this hotel, especially in light of previous reviews. The hotel is a bit worn and dated but this is overcompensated for in price and service.
Good location, would stay again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

On arrival there were no parking spaces so had to pay to park on the road. The reception staff seem to have given up any attempt at customer service, no smile, no greeting and certainly not helpful.The room was cold and smelt damp. Carpet filthy with a myriad of old stains. Pillows too thin, duvet cover ripped. Headboards, which were screwed to the wall did not align with the beds. The windows were dirty and the ceilings stained. Lighting was so poor I had to resort to putting the bedside light on top of the upturned waste bin in order to read. The public gents' toilet had a very large hole in the wall. Went to dining room. We we were told to "sit anywhere". We sat, and we waited, and waited. No one offered us a drink so back to the receptionist who said we'd have to fetch our own drinks from the bar. Asked for jug of water which never materialised. Entered the fray of the buffet meal, food looked and tasted abominable. Had a go at coronation chicken which was vile then tried fruit salad, this tasted so old it had begun to ferment. Gave up on dinner and bought sandwiches from local garage.Tried for drinks in the bar but told we'd have to go to reception to pay as there was only one card machine in the place. The "spa" is not a spa, its a lukewarm swimming pool, a marginally hotter hot tub and a sauna that doesn't seem to be working properly. Pool attendants were unfriendly. Breakfast was slightly better apart from black pudding which tasted rancid. I saved it for my dog but he turned his nose up at it! The meal took a long time to assemble as it was impossible to have a plate, an egg, a teaspoon and bread at the same time as they kept running out. Plates on the hot plate were dangerously hot. The dining room decor reminded me of the worst kind of elderly peoples' home. Tried to play a game of pool but when we asked for cue chalk we were told they had stopped buying it because people stole it! On return from meal out tried again for drinks in the bar but were told all drink was locked away (11.30pm) - but if we handed over some cash the night porter would get us a bottle of wine! Checkout was just as gloomy - I think the receptionist was afraid to ask if we had enjoyed our stay so tried to avoid engaging in any conversation at all! The hotel is in a great location but needs major refurbishment and the staff need some serious training in customer service. Perhaps too many "hen and stag" nights have made them lose their morale. People should not be prepared to put up with sub-standard service just because the price is low - a smile costs nothing.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Isle of Man
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Just got back from a weekend trip to Bournemouth. Paid £150 for two rooms for out family of 5. Awful experience. Firstly, you are charged £3 per day to park your car at the hotel. To use the leisure facilities, you have to pay £6 per adult and a few pounds per child. I argued this at reception as I couldn't believe I had to pay to use these facilities. After looking through the window, I am so glad we didn't use the pool. Filthy dirty and very dated. The lift to get up stairs is tiny. Just fit our pushchair and me at a squeeze. As soon as I got out of the lift on the 3rd floor, I was shocked at how grubby and worn the carpet was. Huge stains and rubbish outside our door. Our room smelt musty and dirty. Stains on the chairs and old throws on the bed. Rusty pipes and dated furniture. Truly awful. I didn't want to let my toddler out of the buggy. Our second room was the same. Mould growing inside wardrobes. Dirty carpets, stained carpets and awful furniture. Possibly one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. I complained to the manager (who was also dealing with another similar complaint). To be fair, he was very kind and found us another hotel and offered us a full refund. Would never ever visit again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family