“Would definatly stay again”

Britannia Hotel Bournemouth
Ranked #62 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

After reading some reviews on trip advisor i must admit me and my husband were slightly worried about staying here. However we were plesantly surprised. The room was very clean and comfortable. The television was slightly old and could do with replacing but as we were out all day it didnt bother us. The bed was comfy with extra pillows avalible. The staff were friendly and helpful. We didnt try the resturant as we ate out but it looked very nice and the menu had good choices. The walls were a little thin and you could hear the guests televison next door which was a little annoying. Overall we were impressed and would stay again especially as it was very good price.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Becky W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,207)

Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We paid £49 for a nights stay including breakfast, dinner, bottle of wine and fruit.. So as a base just to sleep was fine...
However the room was very dated and a bit grubby.. So if I had paid anymore I would have been disappointed..
The dinner on the evening was buffet style and was ok, had turkey dinner which wasn't too bad.. Free wine was nice. Breakfast was again buffet and I couldn't complain all hot and freshly cooked..
We did hear noise in the night with people coming in at all hours.. Someone called out room phone at 3.30am which was nice... Prob wouldn't stay again and one night was enought.. But all in all, for the money not bad.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lougr76
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Booked a family room for 2 nights, arrived on the first to a grubby dirty room with large suspicious stains on the floor. As the Britannia is pet friendly I can only presume its dogs urine? I asked reception for a duvet for my sons bed as it just had a sheet and a small itchy blanket and was told they were all allocated to rooms and I was unlikely to get one! We moved rooms to a marginally cleaner room, but by that time I had a large number of flea bites up my legs and ankles!

We skipped breakfast due to bad reviews but can highly recommended the Wetherspoons which is a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

The second night we had NO SLEEP what so ever! There was a party of rowdy drunks above us all night slamming doors, shouting and swearing. Despite two phone calls to reception, one to the main switchboard of Brittania hotels (I was desperate) this achieved nothing! The security guard informed me there were to many of them and he had called the police! In the hall ways lots of disgruntled guests were gathering in their nightware in disgust.

The best part of the trip to this particular hotel was checking out. But be sure to wipe your feet as you do!

Room Tip: Don't choose this Hotel!
Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Toni D
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We have just got home from a weekend in bournemouth, and I'm so glad we used the hotel just as a base to sleep in! I have never stayed in a hotel like this before, the pictures on the leaflets and internet are NOTHING like what you get!

We arrived to lovely, friendly reception staff who was very helpful through out our stay, we got given our key and went to use the lifts to get upstairs, don't take the lift if your claustrophobic, two of us had to squeeze in!

The room was the smallest room iv ever stayed in, term "couldn't swing a cat" comes to mind. A double bed which just about fit in, with a small gap down the side to let you get in and The tv looked like something from the 90s, with barely any channels! The bathroom was a good size with a bath and shower, however you could see it wasn't cleaned properly as the taps where very grubby! Maybe investing in some "slam proof" doors would be a good idea, was woke up at 5am by noisy, drunk people slamming doors and shouting at each other out the windows! Both nights!! Also, the walls are paper thin, we could hear word for word what the people in the next room was saying!

We pre paid to have our tea in the hotel both nights, but after the first night we cancelled the second! It had very nice food on the menu, but we got in there and it was all buffet food, which wasn't very appetising! The waiting staff were very rude, in a normal restraunt the staff wait till everyone is finished before clearing plates, in there, as soon as you put your knife and fork down, they take your plate away, even if the other person hasn't finished and you have a mouthful of food!

All in all, its safe to say we will never be staying in a Britannia hotel again

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Becky H
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We enjoyed the break for our anniversary the hotel was not quite up to speed. A little early in the season and lacked the up and running finger on the pulse thing. The food was very good but things were missed of the menu until pointed out and then they appeared. So staff not up to speed yet room for improvement.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Booked through Boogaloo Promotions for a half board dance weekend and found the hotel to be a bit dated but otherwise ok. We had a smaller room I think, which was clean and tidy, there may have been a little black mould on the sealant around the bath, but so what? The walls are a little thin but we weren't disturbed particularly, maybe we were lucky with our neighbours.
Buffet style Dinner on the first night was rather cold, and the staff were told by lots of us, they corrected the situation by placing more little heaters under the food dishes, which solved the problem. Food was ok, odd combination sometimes, but perfectly edible and tasty.
The hotel is undergoing refurbishment so the pool is unheated. The dance floors were great.
It is quite a walk into Bournemouth and Boscombe, no little shops nearby.

Room Tip: We had 104, on side of hotel, smallish but adequate and away from dance floors.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 March 2014

It was more or less clean but walls were paper thin and so was woken by the guy snoring next door, bed was like sleeping on the floor it was so hard, dining room closed when I arrived after 9.00pm, nowhere local to walk to for food, bathroom was OK for midgets and I had to park miles away as not enough space nearby. They were selling rooms for £35 when I arrived at reception to check-in too and we were charged £65 a couple of days earlier. I know you get what you pay for but this was not worth £65. Also if you are claustrophobic you will need to walk up the stairs as they are only made for 2 people at a time. I had room 329. Corner room but still grim

Room Tip: I had a corner room 329. Shower cubicle door was broken and replaced with a curtain though which clu...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business