“worst hotel i've ever stayed in”

Britannia Hotel Bournemouth
Ranked #64 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 23 April 2014

First of all, the place is really run down and shabby looking. I found staff unfriendly upon arrival and there was never enough car parking spaces.

Our room was small, dirty looking and had an adjoining door to a stag do. When they heard by voice they assumed i was a lone female and proceeded to try and meet me via the adjoining door (I was with my boyfriend)

The rest of the stag party were located in the room on the other side of us, which made for a very noisy stay.

After we eventually got to sleep gone 2am, the room above us decided to start having a thumping party. This went on until i called security.

When the stags rolled in at gone 4am they decided to torment us by continually knocking on our door, spraying fire extinguishers and playing loud music.

After complaining to staff, we received no apology or an offer to even move room or checkout late. I then had to drive home on very little sleep.

I emailed the hotel customer service team to let them know of our horrendous stay. They never responded. Would not stay here again or recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sarah c
There are newer reviews for Britannia Hotel Bournemouth

Reviewed 17 April 2014

The location is perfect for the beach and the town, staff are friendly and very helpful, breakfast is good, swimming pool excellent, but........ the hotel is very tired, shabby, unpleasant décor and worst of all dirty. In reception there are just 2 sofas - filthy old sheets covering them.
Our room was small, with an almost unusable wardrobe (front to back hanging rail) for 2 ladies going to a wedding. Many broken or missing tiles and cracked walls in the bathroom, a broken shower screen which was impossible to close. The carpet in the bedroom was indescribably filthy, I wore shoes the whole time! Mould in the corners of the window. The bedding was very clean which was a relief. Our other room, supposedly a twin, for my 2 very large sons, was the size of a cupboard, with a double bed pushed into the only available corner - absolutely useless.
Come on Britannia - you have great staff, a good building in an excellent location - do something about it!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Joan G
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Beware the evening meal is a buffet and served between 6 and 8.30pm, we didn't realise this and were rudely told we were late and ushered in to eat whatever was left without being given our room number

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with redspottedhanky.com
2  Thank Elena K
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Looking its age not sure what !makes it 3 star needs a good clean and dust in the rooms and some attention to detail. Ladies singing in the bar were good :-)

Don't get your hopes up about the pool ! Parking is not free but just £3 your get blocked in at night. Its free in the road at night.
Would I stay there again ...yes but only if its cheap I paid £72 for two nights for two people. There's a pub down the road if you wasn't a cheap breakfast and lots of places to eat with in a few mins walk.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave S
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

After reading some reviews on trip advisor i must admit me and my husband were slightly worried about staying here. However we were plesantly surprised. The room was very clean and comfortable. The television was slightly old and could do with replacing but as we were out all day it didnt bother us. The bed was comfy with extra pillows avalible. The staff were friendly and helpful. We didnt try the resturant as we ate out but it looked very nice and the menu had good choices. The walls were a little thin and you could hear the guests televison next door which was a little annoying. Overall we were impressed and would stay again especially as it was very good price.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Becky W
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We paid £49 for a nights stay including breakfast, dinner, bottle of wine and fruit.. So as a base just to sleep was fine...
However the room was very dated and a bit grubby.. So if I had paid anymore I would have been disappointed..
The dinner on the evening was buffet style and was ok, had turkey dinner which wasn't too bad.. Free wine was nice. Breakfast was again buffet and I couldn't complain all hot and freshly cooked..
We did hear noise in the night with people coming in at all hours.. Someone called out room phone at 3.30am which was nice... Prob wouldn't stay again and one night was enought.. But all in all, for the money not bad.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lougr76
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Booked a family room for 2 nights, arrived on the first to a grubby dirty room with large suspicious stains on the floor. As the Britannia is pet friendly I can only presume its dogs urine? I asked reception for a duvet for my sons bed as it just had a sheet and a small itchy blanket and was told they were all allocated to rooms and I was unlikely to get one! We moved rooms to a marginally cleaner room, but by that time I had a large number of flea bites up my legs and ankles!

We skipped breakfast due to bad reviews but can highly recommended the Wetherspoons which is a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

The second night we had NO SLEEP what so ever! There was a party of rowdy drunks above us all night slamming doors, shouting and swearing. Despite two phone calls to reception, one to the main switchboard of Brittania hotels (I was desperate) this achieved nothing! The security guard informed me there were to many of them and he had called the police! In the hall ways lots of disgruntled guests were gathering in their nightware in disgust.

The best part of the trip to this particular hotel was checking out. But be sure to wipe your feet as you do!

Room Tip: Don't choose this Hotel!
Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family