“Excellent value and SOO honest!”

Britannia Hotel Bournemouth
Ranked #64 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent value and SOO honest!”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Getting old and forgot I left my 3 diamond rings in the room when we came home! When I telephoned late afternoon that day such an honest receptionist went to the room we had left early that morning and found the rings-could so easily have said they were not there! Thank you Avro for being so honest and posting the rings back to me. Hope the hotel appreciate this young man. Cant believe anyone would moan about this pony-tailed young man - he was so nice and helpful even when we arrived. Maybe the people who moan are old miseries anyway. If you are nice to people they are nice back!!! I must admit some people were moaning about everything from the minute they step in the door without reason.
As usual, we found the hotel was really clean and comfortable and food is nice.
Clean bedding, extra blankets and pillows and even soap and bath stuff and fluffy towels. TV worked fine and even a fan in our room as it end of June and really warm. We go with Britannia as all their hotels are dog friendly but prefer this one. We have stayed 4 or 5 times now and never had a problem with bites - although that would be down to a dog owner bringing flea ridden dog, not the hotel!
Have never had a threadbare carpet or worn chairs with stuffing poking out as some reviews! It is a bit tired looking from outside but what do you expect on the seafront?
Entertainment was good Friday but nothing at all on the Saturday - good job we had a busy day and the World Cup was on!!
People moan about the parking but the car park is not huge so you cant expect to go out and come back late to find a space with so many cars here.
We found all the staff really nice, helpful and friendly (apart from the moany Minnie of a cleaner!).
We booked through UKbreakaways for a much cheaper weekend deal instead of going to the main website so got a real bargain again even for June. Will definitely be returning here.

3 Thank CMACJAKE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Polish first
Staines, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Thought i had bagged a bargain when i booked this hotel for a two night weekend stay mid june. Booked it because we wanted to take our dog, and this came up on the search for dog friendly hotels. Two nights, (executive room) dinner both nights with a bottle of wine, breakfast both mornings, and surcharge for the dog came in at just under £250. Then i read the reviews and started to dread our upcoming visit.

We arrived at 6pm on Friday 13th june and only just managed to park on premises ( last car space). We had already learned that the £3 fee per night was extra, so came as no shock.
Went up to our 4th floor room and a bit disappointed it was so small, especially for an executive and with dog, but a lovely sea view all the same. Later asked at reception why it would be considered an executive room and said i felt it was too small, straight away he was looking to find a larger room that would be more suitable. We moved to a bigger room on 3rd floor, same sea view. ( his words were thank you for letting us know. If we don't know, we cant help).

Dinner was lovely, not a vast choice, but as a buffet, plentiful. Had a comfortable sleep, and thankfully a beautiful sunny Saturday to walk down to the beach. Nearest dog exercise beach (high season) was about two miles away, but dogs were allowed on leads on promenade to get there, Just not allowed on the beach from May to Sept. (A dog owner would generally know such restrictions take place.) We had a wonderful day and in an excellent location ( for able bodied - my disabled mother would not have been able to enjoy this visit). Another smashing dinner to return to, and a plentiful breakfast both mornings.
10am check out was a bit early, but when i asked for an extension, (due to a noisy overnight stag party) it was no trouble to stay on until 11am.

I do feel that the negative reviews have been unfair.
Yes, its a very tired hotel, carpets threadbare, and the dining area was more reminiscent of school dinner hall than a restaurant, but do you know what, if i wanted the Ritz, i would have paid for the Ritz. You get what you pay for.
Would i stay here again, probably not, as i like to try different locations and granted, it wasn't the nicest of hotels. But i needn't have been as worried as reading the reviews before my stay made me feel. It was comfortable, but not exceptional.

We didn't try the spa or swim, but the pool looked welcoming. Having booked the hotel for two reasons 1-the dog and 2-a spa, it did choke me to learn that we would have had to pay extra to use it. As we had the most beautiful weather, thankfully we didn't feel the need to kill time in the pool!

2 Thank rockyR
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Booked a one night stay!!!
All carpets and décor well worn throughout building and in urgent need of some attention.
Room hand old small television not tuned in to correct channels and most plugs of the round pin type so couldn't use for re charging equipment.

The Bathroom had not been cleaned with the bath still dirty and plug hole full of hair from previously occupant, there was mouldy sealants around bath and windows.

As only staying the one night didn't really see the point in complaining to staff as I only see three working the whole time and they certainly had enough on there plate.
It was relatively cheap but it doesn't matter how cheap it is there is a minimum level of cleanliness in any hotel of this size and location and this place certainly is well below it.

Would not recommend unless on a lads week end and you only want to get your head down!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank mark s

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Booked a two night stay but only stopped an hour ! reception horrible and all carpets and décor well worn. Tiny lifts that had stained walls no been cleaned.
Room again well worn, carpets threadbare, crappy old small television and most plugs of the round pin type so couldn't use.
Room had not been cleaned as old paper receipts were left on the window sill which was also stained and the bedroom window did not fit properly.
Bathroom was disgusting and again had not been cleaned with mouldy sealants. When we used the basin in the bathroom the shower plug hole overflowed with disgusting black bits from the plumbing pipework.
When we complained we were given another room on the same floor but that was little better as the bath tap didn't work and their we hairs in and around the batch from the previous user !.

At this point we had had enough and I demanded a refund and we moved out. It was relatively cheap and we have certainly learned a lesson but it doesn't matter how cheap it is there is a minimum level of cleanliness I expect in any hotel of this size and location and this place certainly is well below it.

Absolute dump of a place - do not recommend, avoid at all costs !!

Room Tip: Use another hotel !
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tony L
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Where do i start i know Customer Service? This hotel wouldn't know what customer service was if it hit them in the face. The receptionist a guy with a pony tail very rude & unhelpful. There was no hello please to thank you. When he tried to charge me again for my hotel room i mentioned to him that we booked our hotel on hotels.com, his attitude stinked. He didn't explain where our room was or how to get there or anything just dumped our key on the top and that was it. Moving on to heading upstairs, the carpets of the stairs were all torn & heavily worn, on arriving to our room, we were greeted with what looked like a half decent hotel room, how wrong we could be. The carpet was badly stained, the bed mattress was hard & uncomfortable, the bathroom sink was cracked badly, the shower didn't even work so i couldn't even have a shower before bed or the morning after. Waking up the next morning, we went down to breakfast, and as per usual the staff were there usual helpful self, we walked into the dining room & weren't even acknowledged. I went to the chap to ask where to sit, and he said sit wherever take my pick, just not by the windows as they were set up for dinner. Where there was spaces to sit, the tables were either full of dirty plates & cups or not set up from being cleared. We had to set the table ourselves and take knife & forks off other tables. The food was of a fair standard, no real complaint but won't win any breakfast awards. On leaving the hotel the chap with pony tail didn't really acknowledge me, just asked room number & pointed to where i should dump the key. To be honest i felt like throwing it at him, he had made me so angry. I have never stayed at a hotel where customer service was so horrific. The staff i dealt with were of foreign to what i gathered so maybe poor english language, but still it was an absolute disgrace. My parents stayed in this hotel only a couple of years earlier & said how wonderful it was. So its a real shame that its turned into a terrible mess. a very shabby hotel with rude staff. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!! This hotel only has 1 thing going for it excellent location thats it.

5 Thank damokins82
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We booked this hotel for a little half term get away. Upon arrival we went up to our room to find it had two single beds (we are a family of 3). We were given a bigger room when we complained which was actually a nice room - very large double aspect with lots of windows. The TV in a room of this size was tiny. Also there were only 2 plug sockets in the corner of the room so if you wanted to plug in a lap top to watch a movie in bed it was a long stretch for the cable. There's no wifi in the rooms either...which for a modern hotel is very poor.

We went down to use the swimming pool. For two adults and one 6 year old this was another £10. They also charged for towel hire at £1 each (we took the towels from our room!) and car parking is another £3.

We opted to have dinner in the hotel as we were tired and didn't fancy walking into town. The serve yourself buffet was reasonable quality but there was no occasion to eating. If you wanted wine with you meal you had to go through to the bar and order it yourself and bring it back to the dining room. We paid £27.00 for the 3 of us to eat dinner. Not a massive amount but also quite a lot when you consider you are serving yourself and the staff cannot wait for you to eat up and leave.

The lift was filthy and the whole place has an air of very faded grandeur about it. Some of the staff are helpful and friendly....some are quite terse.

The pool is lovely, the sauna is tiny but does the job and hot tub needs a service but was relaxing.

Overall I guess you get what you pay for and £55 for one night room only during half term in the centre of Bournemouth isn't bad. Having said that I ended up wishing I'd paid a little bit more for somewhere a bit nicer.

I wouldn't recommend it!

Room Tip: Corner suites are large with a sea view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank flange1971
Corby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Booked 2 rooms family room and ground floor disabled room
Disabled room was small but ok apart from the fact the bathroom was massive but useless to a disabled person like my mum it had a wooden floor very slippy when wet plus a normal bath with shower over my mum carnt get into a bath a would of though a walkin shower would of been a better idea
The family room on the fifth floor can be reach by two lifts that only take two people so I went in one with my little boy and the wife went inthe other with the bags and little girl the only problem being one lift only goes as far as the fourth floor then a climb up a steep staircase to the top floor
The other lift goes all the way to the top and opens right outside the room great I thought guess what lift I was in only by accident I didn't get any pleasure listening to my wife lugging a big heavy bag up the stairs then when she found me standing outside the room well that was the first row of the day as if I knew her lift didn't go to the top so when look at both lifts fromreception it's the lift on your left that goes to the top room it's self was clean not immaculate but acceptable kids loved the bunk beds doublebed was like sleeping on concrete
Whole hotel just needs a like of paint and new carpets as they are thread bare parking is a joke £3 a night and you carnt even drive in let alone park cars every where hotel with hundreds of rooms and parking for about thirty cars and that's been generous me having a disabled mother I had to get as near as I could get her sorted then find somewhere on the street or up the road to park
Staff were friendly enough but every time I came in they were getting grief of somebody for something usually parking as it's ridiculous but all in all it was a nice break great location more or less on the sea front would I stay there again probably not as I'm sure there are better hotels in Bournemouth for the same or similar money

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family