“Box room with squeaky bed” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Croham Hotel

The Croham Hotel
Ranked #64 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
“Box room with squeaky bed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel was clean inside we had booked 3 double rooms for 3 couples when we got there we had to pay £250 deposit, also our room was so small it felt like we were in a caravan bedroom 2 ppl couldn't walk around at the same time, and the bathroom although it was clean it was tiny you couldn't sit on the toilet properly you had to sit on a slant, the shower was ok,but very small and when we went to bed the bed was so squeaky u were to scared to move as u thought u would wake the ppl in the next room, the pillows were thin and over used,also the heating system which we had on all night because it was cold in the room made a lot of noise, tea and coffee was very limited only full fat milk sachet and no sweeteners, enough for 1 cup of coffee and tea each per day, we had to climb 3 flights of stairs with our cases and was not shown or offered where the lift was, my husband has a bad back and I'm pregnant so we could have benefitted from the lift, I wouldn't stay again but if you want cheap and a bed to get your head down it's fine

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

The heater in the room did not work. As a result I and the person sharing the room with me were very cold. It is winter season and we spent the entire night shivering. At the time I asked the night porter if he had any suggestions. He came into the room and could not fix the situation. He never had a spare heater either. Although he was apologetic, the night was still spent in the cold. Even the reception area was warmer than the room I was staying in.
Not only was it an extremely unpleasant say, I also caught a cold. It is now Monday and I am unable to go to work. Not only am I out of pocket of £110 for the rooms but I am also missing a days pay. I hope I am well enough to go to work tomorrow and not miss another days pay.

The following morning I spoke to the person working behind the reception desk about this who advised me since I reserved the room from booking.com I would need to take this matter up with them.

I have spent money in good faith and was not provided with the service I expected. I am not a demanding customer but at the very least I would expect the heater to be working.
Upon sending an email to Booking.com I received a telephone call from them who advised me apparently a member of staff from the hotel went into the room in question and discovered the heater was working. I will not comment on this. I can only advise on the night we stayed in the hotel the heater was not working. The nigh porter could not get it working. The situation is as follows:
1. The heater was not working as neither myself, roommate of night porter could get it working. I know this is the case as the display screen on the heater had an error message.
2. The heater was working and night porter could not operate it. This is unlikely. If this were the case why is the hotel employing a porter that cannot operate a heater? Surely this should be there job.

I am not happy with the response given and feel my concerns are being dismissed as neither parties are taking liability.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Having booked 2 seperate rooms for a group of people over a month beforehand we were all ready to enjoy our weekend in Bournemouth.

We managed to park the car in one of the limited parking spaces round the side of the hotel then Unfortunately from the moment we stepped foot in the hotel it all went downhill! We were greeted by an extremely grumpy man that had hardly welcomed us before insisting that we would not even be able to place our bags in the room until we had paid a £250 deposit that would be held, alongside a £180 deposit that had already been paid. No effort was made to direct us toward our rooms or tell us about breakfast and checking out etc.

After this poor start to our stay we went up to our rooms to find the ceilings had been boarded up to cover holes that were still showing and the rooms were freezing. The room however was clean and the beds very comfortable. It appeared that there were signs everywhere stating you would be charged for all sorts of minor things that could occur during your stay (like make up on pillows or checking out one minute late) we almost felt scared to breathe as they were holding so much if our money! Within the first hour of us being there the fire alarm sounded twice for at least 5 minutes each time. After checking this with reception the gentleman explained he was 'trying to find the problem'.

We had a great evening out and the hotel is in a good location to access the town and beach.

On arriving back at the hotel we managed to get a couple of hours sleep before the fire alarm went off again at 5.30am for a good 20 minutes. A couple of members of our group went down to reception the next morning to find out what had happened and explain how much of an inconvenience this was. The man on reception was extremely rude and patronising saying 'it's there for your safety and that that' over the course of the next hour or so this same gentleman continued to call members of my group 'stupid' and turned up to our room shouting and waving an email around when we questioned him on the large holding deposit. He also went on to admit that he 'wouldn't talk to an adult couple like this' as he was red in the face and shaking from shouting so loudly.

The way we were treated was absolutely disgusting! The staff had no customer service skills and I question their ability to even smile. They would benefit highly from learning manners and ensuring that the hotels policies are clearly explained on booking.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, especially groups and would rather pay extra money next time to ensure we a greeted by friendly staff who genuinely care about their customers enjoying their stay.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JorjieParker
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

We were greeted unfriendly and as a shock told we had to pay £250 deposit as a damage weaver as there was a group of 8 of us. We were unaware of this and it was paid and was yet to find it takes 3-5 days to be back in my bank. Rooms very small and could just about open the door for bathroom. At 5:30am a fire alarm went off, went downstairs to check and they said it was a false alarm. In the morning we complained about this and the response was "it's for our safety, complain all you want" yet it was false and no apology at all!! Very rude staff and didn't seem to want to even be there or help at all! It just felt a very awkward atmosphere and wasn't very welcoming at all. I don't think it was worth the price to be felt like we were unwanted. Wouldn't recommend to anyone in groups.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cydneyrams
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Upon arrival, the parking area was good an accessible and the hotel looked lovely from the outside therefore my expectations were high. Unfortunately as soon as we entered the door things went a bit weird. The man behind reception who appeared to be lacking in a few basic social skills, checked us in and demanded money from us to be placed on 'hold' for any potential damages, and then gave us our key. Fortunately one us had enough money to be able to put the money down. We all found this strange and from the beginning we all felt a little bit anxious regarding the rest of our stay, but it was only for one night so we decided to sort it out later. After that, the fire alarms started going off, as any person over the age of 5 knows, when a fire alarm goes off, you evacuate the building, so me and my friends jumped up in a panic, only to find out it was a false alarm. That was fine, but after the tenth time, one going off at 5am with no explanataion from staff other than 'it's for your safety not mine, what do you expect?' we were left bewildered and feeling vulnerable.

The next morning we woke up, got ready and went down for breakfast which was nice, no faults there. After that was when it went horribly wrong, my friend who booked the hotel was charged extra money which was to also be placed on hold. Like any other adult, she has bills to pay, so it was annoyance to find out there was money that the hotel had unnecessarily placed on hold, when we tried to address the situation, the deputy manager was immediately hostile and aggressive with regards to our complaints. This therefore influencing us to get rather irritated. He was not helpful at all, just angry. When questioned about the extra money being taken without out knowledge, what sort of deputy manager says 'it's their word against yours' in favour of their staff to a client. He was not willing to help so the conversation was going round in circles and it was absolutely ridiculous, we just wanted to leave with our money and an explanation, we didn't want an argument!

If you're under the age of 25, don't book here, the hotel doesn't like younger people. The deputy manager himself said that if we were over the age of 40 he would've treated us differently.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PortiaTesta
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel last year and really enjoyed my stay so booked again for this year as the hotel is clean, good value and brilliant location, however this year my friend had to pay of £250 deposit for all of us to stay at the hotel. which was not mentioned on the phone by the hotel when I had called on a couple of occasions, when I queried the deputy manager he was extremely rude and belittling,he then explained it was our word against hi, I was upset with the way me and my friends were treated, and thought the lovely weekend we had ended on a sour note,

1 Thank Gee123457899
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here night when my daughter had an early uni interview! Lovely room, en suite spotlessly clean - room was cold when we arrived but lovely gentleman came & showed us how to put the heating on. Very friendly staff, cooked breakfast next morning was excellent - usually stay in Travelodges or Premier inns so was a bit dubious because this was cheap, but we couldn't fault it & will stay again next time in Bournemouth - location great for town, seafront & uni

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business