“Sleepless nights!”
Review of Glendevon Hotel

Glendevon Hotel
Ranked #122 of 131 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 April 2013

You definitely get what you pay for in this place.

The double bed was two singles pushed together, which is fine were it not for the fact that these had DIFFERENT mattresses, making for an uneven sleeping surface and an uncomfortable night.

The bathroom had been done up, but the shower took an age to heat up.

Breakfast was fine but there was a disconnect between the times searved and when we went down there, albeit we were mid week in the low season.

Reception was always closed, but the guys were always on hand on the phone which is great service. The hairdryer was sticky!

The unlimited free WiFi was the only unconditional blessing!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank ChrisOB

Reviewed 11 March 2013

Got this for £30 for a double room on a Saturday night so thought this was an absolute bargain.
Should have listened to the old saying " you get what you pay for!"
Room was very tiny, top of wardrobe was covered in dust and the door was slanting down and not closing properly. Electric sockets were hanging out of the wall and the shelf where the tea and coffee facilities were was held on with a crooked bracket which made it look very unsafe. The main light didn't work.
The bed was comfy and clean which is probably the only good comment I can make. We didn't sleep well though as there was alot of noise from other guests which went on until 3.30 in the morning.
After a bad nights sleep we found that there was no hot water to have a shower. When I told them at reception all I got was a quick "sorry about that".
Breakfast was awful, first time I have stayed anywhere and been served a crust of bread with my breakfast. The sausages were awful, which we could tell as soon as we walked in as everyone had left them on their plates. I gave them a go but they tasted cheap and nasty. This probably sums up the whole hotel. Not somewhere I would ever recommend.
Sorry Glendevon but you need to sort out these problems.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank reviewitSouthampton
Glendevon H, Manager at Glendevon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

First of all we do apologize for what you have experienced in our hotel.

Feedback both positive and negative is greatly appreciated as it helps us to improve our service and product.

We only wish you had said something at the time so that we could have done something about that main light problem.

Bournemouth is very busy with young people out to enjoy at weekends - and the hotel clientele for pretty much all hotels reflects that. We offer both of you to visit us AGAIN during weekdays & we make sure that your point of view for our hotel going to be CHANGED.

For hot water, you have to run hot water in wash basin & also in shower for couple of minutes. To solve this problem we are going to put this direction on notice board.

We were sorry to read of your disappointing breakfast experience in regards to the product. We are going to start BUFFET so there is no problem with crust of bread. You can choose what you like.

Reviewed 28 February 2013

I booked the room through late rooms and asksed that a parking space be reserved, on arrival Chris the hotel manager checked me ito my room and made sure everything was to my liking and told me that there was a car parking space reserved as requested.
The room was very clean comfortable and warm (I cant stand cold rooms) later i went to the bar in the hotel next door which is part of the group and was welcomed by another member of staff who was also very pleasant.
As I stayed there 2 nights I did have my bed made and the room tidied up, another good sign of excellent staff
Very clean and friendly, I will be staying again for sure

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Nigel b
Glendevon H, Manager at Glendevon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2013

Dear Nigel,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and like what we are doing to our B and B. It was really nice to meet you. Thanks again for mentioning me & my staff in your lovely review and hope we will see you back in future.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

£25 for bed and breakfast in a single room is a good start!

OK, so the Glendevon isn't the Savoy, but it is superb value for money. Staff are friendly and efficient. My (something out of the 1960s) room was small, clean but acceptably comfortable for a single night stay. I had to chuckle at the lounge with it's rather shabby chairs placed all around the walls of the room facing the centre, just as you would expect in the archetypal care home. The dining room, shared with the hotel next door, was clean and tidy and the buffet breakfast was excellent. The opposite applies to the bar, which is in the next door establishment! Car parking is a little difficult on street, but there is an area opposite the hotel which is charged at £4 per car.

Overall, at £25 a night for a single, the centrally located Glendevon is a bargain if all you need is a clean room for the night, pleasant staff and a decent breakfast. There are plenty of acceptable restaurants within a few minutes walk. Wi-fi is free.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear Richard
Thank you for taking the time to write and post such a lovely bargain review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Refurbishment is under process to bring rooms from 1960 to 2013 but it takes time. Hope you understand.
Big thank you again and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

Dont expect the Ritz when you are not paying Ritz prices!

On arrival the service was great, we were checked in quickly by a friendly member of staff and also had our allocated parking arranged opposite the hotel for only £4 for the night! Bargain.

We had a twin room on the front elevation which was covered in sunshine the whole day. The large bay window was a great view point onto the main road, and we could also see our car which is always a bonus.

The room was dated, with a 70's feel, but clean and more than adequate! The washroom was good with clean towels and bedding.

The room was centrally heated and it was very warm - no issues with being cold.

I felt the hotel went above and beyond my expectations. We paid £35 for a twin room on a Saturday night including breakfast! Absolute bargain considering other hotels in the area, who do not have parking or breakfast are charging close to double!!!!!

Location was great and it was easy to get to the town and the sea front is a 5 minute walk.

I would recommend this hotel to people travelling for leisure or a good weekend away with friends. Any more than two nights and you may start to go back in time yourself but other than that, its fab!

Thanks gor a great stay Glendevon!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front as the sun goes straight into your room all day long!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andrew W
Glendevon H, Manager at Glendevon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and post such a great review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. At the moment hotel is under refurbishment but it need some time. Hope next time you find couple of changes...we look forward to seeing you

Reviewed 11 February 2013

Me and my mates were in Bournemouth for work and we stayed in Glendevon for 2 weeks, We were very pleased with the services. The hotel was only 5 mins walk away from the beach. The most of all we chose our own room since we didn't like the first which was away from view. The room are very classy and very well place to rest for the holidays! Breakfast were provided every morning and staffs were guinuenly humble!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank GangaHunching
Glendevon H, Manager at Glendevon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

Thanks Mr Ganga for your ''PRECIOUS TIME'' to write a DESERVED review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and like what we are doing to our B and B. It was really nice to meet you all and hope we will see you back in the future...

Reviewed 29 January 2013

I approached the Glendevon as i needed somewhere to shoot a short film. The staff were extremely helpful and met our every needs. They gave us our own section of the hotel to ensure that we did not interrupt guests, and were extremely polite and helpful. The breakfast was great, and the rooms we were given were wonderful. Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel; with polite staff, good prices and it being just a short distance form the beach it is a great place to stay!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank katy d
Glendevon H, Manager at Glendevon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and post such a great review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and finish your shoot without any interrupt. We hope to see you in future.