“Experience depends on expectations”
Review of Glendevon Hotel

Glendevon Hotel
Ranked #123 of 132 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

I came to Bournemouth with my partner and a couple of friends at very short notice on a night when Jessie J was playing at the BIC. We booked this hotel at very short notice and were pleased to find it so cheap. After booking I checked Trip Advisor to see what people were saying and find many of the comments to be most unfair.

Many of the reviewers have pointed out that 'you get what you pay for' - indeed so, which makes me question what they expected for the tariff here - the Ritz?!

The staff were polite and helpful, the rooms, whilst slightly tired, were warm and comfortable and I found the whole experience to be perfectly adequate for the price we paid!

Yes, if I chose to, I could complain about the dated decor, the low water pressure in the shower and the size of the room but I don't feel the need - we got exactly what we paid for, which was a comfortable bed in a warm, secure building, close to Bournemouth town centre and breakfast in the morning! The Hotel has more character than one of the large chains and I would happily stay here again - thank you to the staff!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Simon P

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We booked hotel 2 weeks in advance. Received confirmation, with confirmation code. On arrival told us the hotel was fully booked. and said that they had no record us. Even though email was in front of them in black and white. The two guys behind the desk were really unhelpful, and rude. Left us with out rooms and a Marathon to run in the morning.
When asking the hotel opposite if they had any rooms, and explained what had happen, she told us that they make a habit of doing this .
Whist in reception, there were blokes walking around in underwear and narcotics being shared around.
The following afternoon we decided to go back to speak to the manager, as we were told he would be in. Guess what? He wasn't and he had changed sex over night.He was now a She!! And still wasn't at the hotel.
Please avoid is hotel. They should be ashamed.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Majestic30
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Basically the only good thing was the location !! I had a single room in the old hotel on the ground floor(no2). Bizarrely there was a floor safe outside my room. Which a group of guests tried to move at 4am !!! At first I thought it was great as, big single bed with spotless linen and the ensuite was new and spacious ........

........ ...BUT the end head of the bed was the other side of the very thin wall of the 'public' toilet next door. It was used all night by guests and I guess the staff. I could hear everything yuck ! it got worse as all through the Sat night ,the other guests returned to the hotel and as the room was 'in the hallway' it was SO noisy. I had to go out twice the first night to ask people to be quiet, 1st at 2am then 4am. The receptionist didn't seem to care at all. So on 2nd night I got some earplugs but with groups of guests congregating in the hallway, talking,swearing and continuously using the toilet , it made no difference. I went out to ask them to be quiet at 4am and all I got was verbal abuse. I had to leave early on my last morning and as no staff on duty I couldn't register my complaint but I will write to them. Breakfast NOT as described, no order was taken as it was all buffet style and all the food was luke warm. The tea came in large teapots and by the time I got some it was stewed. The staff in the breakfast room weren't helpful at all.
Never ever again,rubbish for the price

Room Tip: don't bother to book at all !!!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank tanyg
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Bournemouth was very busy this weekend and I didn't do my rigorous checks before booking this hotel
What a huge mistake
From the moment you go through the front door you realise that this place is awful. The only good thing I can say was that the bedding was clean
These people had taken my money several days before we stayed and the reason for that is most people given a choice would not pay for this rubbish.
we left before we were subjected to breakfast but having seen the kitchens the night before that was definitely the right thing to do. I don't have enough words to describe how bad this place was.
Even when we got to bed we were woken up by the large number of people on stag and hen parties arriving back to the hotel when the clubs shut. So this meant a steady stream of people shouting and screaming around the corridors from 2.30 until 4 O'clock .
If you are in the bad position of having only this hotel to choose from then cancel your trip or go somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Freddyqaz
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The bar was ok. Only because there was no one there! Apart from that. The breakfast wasn't properly cooked. The bacon was pink & not even half cooked! The fried eggs were 'gungy'. Free advice for the 'cook', take lessons. No wifi on the floor I was staying on. Room 26. Had to go to the lobby to get online. The shower plug hole was blocked. So I was standing in 2 inches of water. The window in the room wouldn't open. So basically, it was a crap stay. Wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Steve1073
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Booked here very last minute. Checked out the pics from laterooms and it looked awesome. After arrival I was welcomed by a smiling face and was pointed towards my room. As soon as I got in to the room, I wondered why I booked this place. The door was loose with the lock, very narrow room and to top it off, I found a jelly baby on the floor! I thought "what the hell, can it get worse?".

Came back after seeing my friends for a meal and drinks. Not only was the place swarming with students but very loud students! A few of them were leaving for the airport at 1am but instead of carrying their suitcases down the stairs, they were dragging them down the stairs making a very loud banging noise. There was a night porter available but he didnt do anything about this. Also I had to push the single beds together as they were leaning to the side!

Shortly after this happened, all the power to the hotel had been lost. After several attempts of management turning the trip switch back on, power was restored apart from the sockets! Wasnt able to carry on watching TV or make myself a cup of tea in the morning.

Ive stayed in hostels in Brighton and Cornwall that have topped this hotel, tenfold.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank J0hn8675309
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This hotel cancelled our booking the night before our reservation and then charged us a 49pound fee - for which was not explained. Upon repeated requests to refund our money they have ignored us. Be wary of this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple